The science and technology of growing living things (plants and animals) for human consumption or use as pets, ornament, food, fiber, or construction material. Includes Forestry, Horticulture and Soil Science. Agriculture Science.
Agriculture is the cultivation of animals, plants and fungi for food, fiber, biofuel, medicinal plants and other products used to sustain and enhance human life. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Agriculture is the cultivation of land and breeding of animals and plants to provide food, fiber, medicinal plants and other products to sustain and enhance life. Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that enabled people to live in cities. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science. The history of agriculture dates back thousands of years; people gathered wild grains at least 105,000 years ago, and began to plant them around 11,500 years ago, before they became domesticated. Pigs, sheep, and cattle were domesticated over 10,000 years ago. Crops originate from at least 11 regions of the world. Industrial agriculture based on large-scale monoculture has in the past century become the dominant agricultural method.
- Agriculture Category
- Aeroponics - Aeroponics is the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment without the use of soil or an aggregate medium. The word "aeroponic" is derived from the Greek meanings of aer and ponos. Aeroponic culture differs from both conventional hydroponics, aquaponics, and in-vitro growing.
- Agricultural engineering - Agricultural engineering is the engineering discipline that studies agricultural production and processing.
- Agricultural robot - An agricultural robot is a robot deployed for agricultural purposes. The main area of application of robots in agriculture today is at the harvesting stage.
- Agroecology - Agroecology is the study of ecological processes applied to agricultural production systems. The prefix ' refers to agriculture. Bringing ecological principles to bear in agroecosystems can suggest novel management approaches that would not otherwise be considered.
- Building-integrated agriculture - Building-integrated agriculture is the practice of locating high performance hydroponic greenhouse farming systems on and in mixed-use buildings to exploit synergies between the built environment and agriculture.
- Contract farming - Contract farming involves agricultural production being carried out on the basis of an agreement between the buyer and farm producers. Sometimes it involves the buyer specifying the quality required and the price, with the farmer agreeing to deliver at a future date.
- Food industry
- Provides Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada www
Provides information, and Agri-Food Canada, research and technology, and policies and programs to achieve security of the food system, health of the environment and innovation for growth. Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Online Agra-net.com www
Online presence of Agra Informa, Agra-net.com, information specialists on soft commodities, agriculture and food policy, markets and trade. Agra-net.com.
- News Urban Agriculture News www
News service that provides a review of daily news and publishes monthly newsletters serving the community of practitioners, Agriculture News, developers and theorists that are planning and practicing agriculture within cities. Urban Agriculture News.
- European EARD InfoSys www
European Information System on Agricultural Research website. InfoSys. Links and information on research on crops, agricultural, and fisheries topics. EARD InfoSys.
- Aims The Small Farm Resource www
Aims to disseminate information of use to people with small farms or rural property. Small Farm Resource. Topics include aquaculture, beekeeping, livestock, orchard and forage crops, and pests. The Small Farm Resource.
- Online Beginning Farmers www
Online resource providing practical information and resources for starting, Farmers, financing and running a small farm. Beginning Farmers.
- A The Earth's Carrying Capacity - Some Literature Reviews www
A review spread over hundreds of pages, Earth's Carrying Capacity - Some Literature Reviews, of the global literature on degradation of soils, crop, grazing and forest lands, and fisheries. The Earth's Carrying Capacity - Some Literature Reviews.
- Independent National Institute of Agricultural Botany www
Independent UK body specialising in agriculture, Institute of Agricultural Botany, horticulture and food. It supplies a number of services including consultancy, training, and technical advice to governments, supra-governmental agencies, agribusiness and farmers. National Institute of Agricultural Botany.
- Describes U.S. Department of Agriculture www
Describes its main functions, Department of Agriculture, and with a collection of links on current agricultural news and research. U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- International COST Action 866: Green Care in Agriculture www
International co-operative project to increase scientific knowledge on the best way to implement green care in agriculture, Action 866: Green Care in Agriculture, through research and working groups. COST Action 866: Green Care in Agriculture.
- Web-based FoodSHIELD www
Web-based food defence network designed to enable departments of agriculture and health, FoodSHIELD, as well as laboratories, to communicate and coordinate with their peers in the US and Canada. FoodSHIELD.
- Maps GARDEN-InfoSys+ www
Maps the German landscape of agricultural research for development (ARD) and offers access to German web resources in ARD. GARDEN-InfoSys+. GARDEN-InfoSys+.
- Publishes World Agricultural Group www
Publishes articles on agriculture and related topics as part of a program for agricultural and environmental education intended to provide basic knowledge about the agro-ecosystem and its management. World Agricultural Group.
- Provides Resource Centre on Urban Agriculture and Forestry www
Provides resources for the integration of agriculture into urban planning. Centre on Urban Agriculture and Forestry. Website holds a number of papers and links to related sites. Resource Centre on Urban Agriculture and Forestry.
- Food Agriculture 21 www
Food and Agriculture Organization's agriculture website. 21. Includes a news magazine plus guides and links to information on livestock, biotechnology, land/water development, crop production, plant protection, agricultural support systems. Agriculture 21.
- The FieldRobotEvent www
The use of autonomous, FieldRobotEvent, small robots in agriculture is expected to revolutionize field work. Professional, university or school teams are invited to enter their robots for an open-air field contest. FieldRobotEvent.
- Luigi Agricultural Biodiversity Weblog www
Luigi Guarino and Jeremy Cherfas aim to include on this blog, Biodiversity Weblog, nuggets of information on anything that relates to agrobiodiversity, and welcome contributions from others. Agricultural Biodiversity Weblog.
- Collection EliteFarmer www
Collection of PDF files and links, EliteFarmer, grouped by sector, providing an agricultural portal for products, services and information. EliteFarmer.
- Part Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, NAS/NRC www
Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, NAS/NRC.
- Turkish Agriculture Guide www
Turkish organization aiming to provide information to the public regarding agricultural terms, Guide, techniques, background information, applications and methods. Agriculture Guide.
- AFSIC's Alternative Agriculture Marketing and Business Practices www
AFSIC's overview of marketing and business options for small-scale agricultural producers covers direct marketing, Agriculture Marketing and Business Practices, value-added expertise, commodity data, regulatory programs, business planning tools, subject guides and web sites. Alternative Agriculture Marketing and Business Practices.
- Carries CIAT: International Center for Tropical Agriculture www
Carries out research into agriculture and crops. International Center for Tropical Agriculture. Details of projects, regional activities, educational information, project databases. CIAT: International Center for Tropical Agriculture.
- Field University of Minnesota: Institute for Ag Professionals www
Field School for professionals in agriculture. Minnesota: Institute for Ag Professionals. Includes two days of hands-on learning in crop pest control and management of the state's major crops. Includes research updates and managerial training. Located in Lamberton, Minnesota. University of Minnesota: Institute for Ag Professionals.
- Describes National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) www
Describes facilities, Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM), activities and projects, faculty and training programmes. Hyderabad, India. National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM).
- US Federation of Animal Science Societies www
US society promoting animal agriculture. Animal Science Societies. Details of the society, member directory, newsletters and meetings. Federation of Animal Science Societies.
- Association South African Society for Animal Science www
Association of scientists who practice and report on animal agriculture. South African Society for Animal Science.
- Short Catfish Farming www
Short bibliographies from the United States Department of Agriculture. Catfish Farming.
- Includes National Sea Grant Library www
Includes a digital library of resources on several aquaculture topics, Sea Grant Library, including open ocean and cage or pen culture, recirculating systems, design and construction. Maintained by the Pell Library at the University of Rhode Island, USA. National Sea Grant Library.
- Resources Information Systems for Biotechnology www
Resources pertaining to the development, Systems for Biotechnology, testing and regulatory review of genetically modified plants, animals and microorganisms, to support the responsible use of products. Primarily within the USA, maintained at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg. Information Systems for Biotechnology.
- Scientific Belgian Biosafety Server www
Scientific aspects related to the biological safety of human activities carried out using pathogenic and/or genetically-modified organisms. Biosafety Server. Managed by the Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels. Belgian Biosafety Server.
- Provides Céad Míle Fáilte www
Provides information on the 42nd Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology, Míle Fáilte, to be held in Dublin from 5th to 9th August 2008 on the theme, Applied Ethology: Addressing future challenges in animal agriculture. Céad Míle Fáilte.
- With Current Wageningen Congresses www
With a focus on The Netherlands, Wageningen Congresses, lists agriculture-related meetings along with links for detailed information Current Wageningen Congresses.
- Carthamus Development of a Safflower Petal Collector www
Carthamus tinctorius is widely cultivated in India for its oil, a Safflower Petal Collector, and this article outlines the results of using specially designed machines to gather the petals for use as herbal tea. Development of a Safflower Petal Collector.
- Information, Hops Information www
Information, Information, including FAQs and research, on growing hops in eastern United States. Hops Information.
- Alexa: Agriculture Science
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Agriculture Science
- DMOZ: Agriculture Science
dmoz.org Directory: Agriculture Science