This section contains scientific information on aquaculture. This includes the hatching and rearing of finfish, shellfish and other marine and freshwater organisms and their cultivation in a restricted or controlled environment. Aquaculture Agriculture Science.
Aquaculture, also known as aquafarming, is the farming of aquatic organisms such as fish, crustaceans, molluscs and aquatic plants. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Aquaculture is the farming of fish, crustaceans, molluscs, aquatic plants, algae, and other aquatic organisms. Aquaculture involves cultivating freshwater and saltwater populations under controlled conditions, and can be contrasted with commercial fishing, which is the harvesting of wild fish. It is less commonly spelled aquiculture, and is also known as aquafarming. Mariculture refers to aquaculture practiced in marine environments and in underwater habitats.
- Aquaculture Category
- Agroecology - Agroecology is the study of ecological processes applied to agricultural production systems. The prefix ' refers to agriculture. Bringing ecological principles to bear in agroecosystems can suggest novel management approaches that would not otherwise be considered.
- Alligator farm - A crocodile farm or alligator farm is an establishment for breeding and raising of crocodilians in order to produce crocodile and alligator meat, leather, and other goods. Many species of both alligators and crocodiles are farmed internationally.
- Aquaponics - Aquaponics refers to any system that combines conventional aquaculture with hydroponics in a symbiotic environment. In normal aquaculture, excretions from the animals being raised can accumulate in the water, increasing toxicity.
- Copper alloys in aquaculture
- Maggots used as food for fish - Maggot farming is the act of growing maggots for the industry. It is distinct from vermicomposting as there is no separate composting process going on, and maggots are used which are distinct from worms.
- Fish hatchery - A fish hatchery is a place for artificial breeding, hatching, and rearing through the early life stages of animals?finfish and shellfish in particular.
- Domesticated animals
- Buildings and structures used to confine animals
- Sustainable food system
- Information Aquaculture Product Evaluation www
Information on services available to improve productivity, Product Evaluation, to assist with working within the regulatory framework and achieving product approval. Aquaculture Product Evaluation.
- Information Problems: Aquaculture www
Information from the World Wildlife Fund on how aquaculture can adversely impact the marine environment and wildlife. Problems: Aquaculture.
- Information Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture www
Information from Wikipedia on this form of aquaculture where the by-products from one harvestable species are used as an input in the production of another. Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture.
- Information Agricultural Experiment Station: Aquaculture www
Information about research being undertaken at the University of the Virgin Islands into developing tilapia production systems. Agricultural Experiment Station: Aquaculture.
- Article Integrated Multi-trophic Aquaculture www
Article on this concept where the cultivation of organisms such as finfish is combined with other organisms, Multi-trophic Aquaculture, such as shellfish and kelp that will utilize their biproducts, thus providing a more natural environment. Integrated Multi-trophic Aquaculture.
- An World Aquaculture Society www
An international non-profit society founded in 1970 with the object of improving communication and information exchange within the diverse global aquaculture community. World Aquaculture Society.
- Information Fisheries: Fish Farming and Health www
Information from the Department of the Environment Food and Rural Affairs in the UK on the regulatory and licensing requirements of the industry. Fisheries: Fish Farming and Health.
- Outlines AFGRP: Aquaculture and Fish Genetics Research Programme www
Outlines research, Aquaculture and Fish Genetics Research Programme, backed by the Department for International Development in the UK, and produces reports on matters of interest to aquaculturists worldwide. AFGRP: Aquaculture and Fish Genetics Research Programme.
- Organization European Aquaculture Society www
Organization aiming to promote contact between aquaculturalists, Aquaculture Society, circulate information, sponsor research and enhance cooperation. Produces a quarterly magazine and a scientific journal. European Aquaculture Society.
- Provides Aquaculture, Fisheries and Fish Biology www
Provides information on books and journals on these subjects published by Blackwell Publishing. Aquaculture, Fisheries and Fish Biology.
- Informational Alternative Farming Systems Information Center: Aquaculture www
Informational resource from USDA covering not only fish farming but also production of aquatic plants, Farming Systems Information Center: Aquaculture, certified organic production and fish/plant integrated systems. Alternative Farming Systems Information Center: Aquaculture.
- This Aquacultural Engineering Society www
This organization aims to provide a forum for the discussion of engineering problems related to aquaculture and to provide members with sources of information. Aquacultural Engineering Society.
- This Aquaculture Innovation Network www
This initiative, Innovation Network, supported by the European Commission, aims to enhance innovation and technology transfer within the European aquaculture sector. Aquaculture Innovation Network.
- Information Mariculture www
Information from Wikipedia on this specialised form of aquaculture where marine species are held in enclosed sections of the ocean or in large tanks filled with seawater. Mariculture.
- Information Genetic Computation Ltd www
Information on aquaculture genetics, Computation Ltd, breed improvement and biodiversity conservation, including tilapia, salmon, trout, shrimp, and prawns. Genetic Computation Ltd.
- Real Austasia Aquaculture www
Real life stories of successful aquaculturists with practical, Aquaculture, commonsense knowledge on aquaculture. Austasia Aquaculture.
- Aquaponics SoCal Aquaponics www
Aquaponics is a system that integrates aquaculture with hydroponics, Aquaponics, the soil-free cultivation of plants. SoCal provides information on hydroponics, aquaponics, aquaculture and the solar greenhouse. SoCal Aquaponics.
- European European Aquaculture Society: Aqua-Flow www
European network for the communication and exchange of information on research projects in aquaculture. European Aquaculture Society: Aqua-Flow.
- Aquatic Biological Weed Control in Alberta Using Triploid Grass Carp www
Aquatic weeds may cause problems in fish ponds and this article discusses how fish may be used to control the weed. Biological Weed Control in Alberta Using Triploid Grass Carp.
- Provides Aquaponics: Integration of Hydroponics with Aquaculture www
Provides an introduction to aquaponics with brief profiles of working units. Integration of Hydroponics with Aquaculture. Includes a list of online resources. Aquaponics: Integration of Hydroponics with Aquaculture.
- Provides TheFishSite.com www
Provides a portal for the global aquaculture and fish farming industry including news, TheFishSite.com, articles, forums and recipes. TheFishSite.com.
- Factsheet Fresh Water Aquaculture Industry www
Factsheet giving an overview of the marketing and production characteristics of freshwater aquaculture in Alberta, Water Aquaculture Industry, including the regulatory, marketing, production and financial basics. Fresh Water Aquaculture Industry.
- Information Arizona Aquaculture www
Information on aquaculture in Arizona, Aquaculture, the United States and around the world, with links to other internet resources. Maintainted by Arizona University. Arizona Aquaculture.
- A Aquaculture Association of Canada www
A non-profit charitable organization aiming to foster the industry in Canada, Association of Canada, promote the study of aquaculture and related sciences, and gather and disseminate information. Aquaculture Association of Canada.
- Information Aquaculture www
Information from Wikipedia on the cultivation of aquatic organisms under controlled conditions, Aquaculture, including algae, fish, shrimps and freshwater prawns. Aquaculture.
- Short Catfish Farming www
Short bibliographies from the United States Department of Agriculture. Catfish Farming.
- Outlines Technology for Duck – Fish Integrated Farming System in Goa www
Outlines the opportunities for increasing the economic potential of fish ponds by using ducks to fertilise the pond so as to produce sufficient food for the fish. Technology for Duck – Fish Integrated Farming System in Goa.
- Includes National Sea Grant Library www
Includes a digital library of resources on several aquaculture topics, Sea Grant Library, including open ocean and cage or pen culture, recirculating systems, design and construction. Maintained by the Pell Library at the University of Rhode Island, USA. National Sea Grant Library.
- Australian Practical Aquaponics for Everyone www
Australian company offers information on growing vegetables and fish in a backyard aquaponics system. Aquaponics for Everyone. It also provides purpose built components for aquaponics systems, both domestic and commercial, and instructional DVDs. Practical Aquaponics for Everyone.
- Aquaculture Urban Aquaculture www
Aquaculture allows seafood to be produced locally and in a sustainable fashion, Aquaculture, even in urban areas. This site allows people to share their knowledge on the topic in a blog and provides resources on education, training and events. Urban Aquaculture.
- This Global Aquaculture Alliance www
This international non-profit trade association encourages environmentally and socially responsible aquaculture, Aquaculture Alliance, produces a magazine and publishes articles on fish production related issues. Global Aquaculture Alliance.
- Fact What is Aquaculture? www
Fact sheet from the Maryland Sea Grant Extension giving an answer to this question. Aquaculture?. What is Aquaculture?.
- CRSP Aquaculture: Collaborative Research Support Program www
CRSP aims to advance science, Collaborative Research Support Program, research and education in aquatic resources by encouraging international partnerships. Produces newsletters and research reports and provides a central database. Aquaculture: Collaborative Research Support Program.
- With Aquaculture Atlas of Canada www
With the world's longest coastline and 16 per cent of the world's total surface area of fresh water, Atlas of Canada, Canada is the ideal location for temperate-zone aquaculture. Aquaculture Atlas of Canada.
- Provides Auburn University: Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures www
Provides information on this educational facility and the courses offered, University: Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures, past and present research and the community extension program. Auburn University: Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures.
- Report Feeding the Fish www
Report from the World Wildlife Fund questioning the sustainability of the feed used in Scotland’s aquaculture industry. Feeding the Fish.
- Mariculture Mariculture www
Mariculture of fish, Mariculture, shellfish, seaweed and other marine products is seeing explosive growth. The University of Rhode Island Coastal Resources Center is dedicated to advancing coastal management worldwide. Mariculture.
- Information Algaculture www
Information from Wikipedia on this form of aquaculture involving the production of microalgae, Algaculture, including growing, harvesting and processing the algae, and using it as an energy source and in commerce and industry. Algaculture.
- Demonstrates Simple Home Algae Cultures and Breeding www
Demonstrates how to culture and cultivate most algae strains at home, Home Algae Cultures and Breeding, substituting some readily available items and homemade apparatus for more traditional laboratory glassware. Simple Home Algae Cultures and Breeding.
- Alligators Increasing the Profitability of Florida Alligator Carcasses www
Alligators are mainly reared for their valuable skin and their meat. the Profitability of Florida Alligator Carcasses. This study aims to find uses for their fat and residual meat and reduce the amount of waste. Increasing the Profitability of Florida Alligator Carcasses.
- A Research Group of Experimental Zooplankton Ecology www
A research group in Finland; studies on zooplankton, Group of Experimental Zooplankton Ecology, cyanobacteria, fish and blue mussels in the Baltic Sea -- staff, projects, publications. Research Group of Experimental Zooplankton Ecology.
- A Potholes and Vernal Pools as Potential Indicator Systems www
A technical article by Tim B. and Vernal Pools as Potential Indicator Systems. Graham about climate change and ephemeral pool ecosystems, with photographs. Potholes and Vernal Pools as Potential Indicator Systems.
- Assistance What’s in the Clam Bag? www
Assistance from the Florida Extension Service in identifying the marine organisms that may share the clams’ bag and deciding on any necessary action. the Clam Bag?. What’s in the Clam Bag?.
- Outlines Introduction to Infectious Diseases in Hard Clams www
Outlines the gross signs of disease, Infectious Diseases in Hard Clams, the pathogens likely to be present and their significance in the areas of Florida where this study took place. Introduction to Infectious Diseases in Hard Clams.
- Information Shrimp Farm www
Information from Wikipedia on this form of aquaculture where marine shrimps or prawns are reared for human consumption in a controlled environment. Shrimp Farm.
- Information Macrobrachium rosenbergii: Giant River Prawn www
Information from the FAO on this freshwater species, rosenbergii: Giant River Prawn, its biology, habitat, the production cycle, production systems, diseases and their control, production statistics, markets and trade. Macrobrachium rosenbergii: Giant River Prawn.
- CEFAS Crustacean Fisheries and Shrimp Aquaculture www
CEFAS is a scientific research and consultancy centre providing services to aquaculturalists on infection and disease control in crustaceans. Crustacean Fisheries and Shrimp Aquaculture.
- Fact Snow Crab www
Fact sheet produced by Agriculture and Agrifood Canada on this industry, Crab, with information on distribution and seasons, management, the biology of the crabs, preparation for the table and quality control. Snow Crab.
- Online Agra-net.com www
Online presence of Agra Informa, Agra-net.com, information specialists on soft commodities, agriculture and food policy, markets and trade. Agra-net.com.
- The FieldRobotEvent www
The use of autonomous, FieldRobotEvent, small robots in agriculture is expected to revolutionize field work. Professional, university or school teams are invited to enter their robots for an open-air field contest. FieldRobotEvent.
- Alexa: Aquaculture Agriculture
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Aquaculture Agriculture
- DMOZ: Aquaculture Agriculture
dmoz.org Directory: Aquaculture Agriculture