This section contains websites and pages concerned with the science and technology of growing plants on an intensive or on a small scale basis, as opposed to the extensive cultivation of arable cultivation. It includes turf science, arboriculture, and nursery science. Much related material regarding domestic gardens will be found in the related section Home: Gardening. Horticulture Agriculture Science.
Horticulture is the branch of agriculture that deals with the art, science, technology, and business of growing plants. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Horticulture is the science and art of growing plants]]. It also includes plant conservation, landscape restoration, soil management, landscape and garden design, construction, and maintenance, and arboriculture. In contrast to agriculture, horticulture does not include large-scale crop production or animal husbandry.
- Floriculture - Floriculture, or flower farming, is a discipline of horticulture concerned with the cultivation of flowering and ornamental plants for gardens and for floristry, comprising the floral industry. The development, via plant breeding, of new varieties is a major occupation of floriculturists.
- Forest gardening - Forest gardening is a low-maintenance sustainable plant-based food production and agroforestry system based on woodland ecosystems, incorporating fruit and nut trees, shrubs, herbs, vines and perennial vegetables which have yields directly useful to humans.
- Gardening - Gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture.
- Genetically modified tree s
- Genomics of domestication - Domesticated species and the human populations that domesticate them are typified by a mutualistic relationship of interdependence, in which humans have over thousands of years modified the genomics of domesticated species.
- Hoe-farming - Hoe-farming is a collective term for certain forms of agriculture.
- Agriculture by type
- Horticulture and gardening
- Gives The Horticultural Taxonomy Group www
Gives the history of HORTAX, Horticultural Taxonomy Group, an association of taxonomists and horticulturists interested in the classification and nomenclature of cultivated plants, member information and links to the archives of HORTAX News. The Horticultural Taxonomy Group.
- Includes International Society for Horticultural Science www
Includes general and specific scientific information, Society for Horticultural Science, links to journals, events calendar. International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Provides Gulf Coast Research and Education Center: University of Florida www
Provides information on the research being undertaken by Dr. Coast Research and Education Center: University of Florida. Bielinski M. Santos into horticultural crops. Gulf Coast Research and Education Center: University of Florida.
- Conducts The Center for Urban Horticulture www
Conducts research, Center for Urban Horticulture, teaching, and public service on the selection, management and role of plants and ecosystems in the urban environment. At College of Forest Resources, University of Washington, Seattle. The Center for Urban Horticulture.
- Searchable Comprehensive Listing of Alternate and Botanical Names for Horticultural Crops - Sydney Postharvest Laboratory www
Searchable by common names, Listing of Alternate and Botanical Names for Horticultural Crops - Sydney Postharvest Laboratory, alternate names and botanical names. Comprehensive Listing of Alternate and Botanical Names for Horticultural Crops - Sydney Postharvest Laboratory.
- Australian NSW Department of Primary Industries: Horticulture www
Australian government agency provides information on home and commercial horticulture of fruit, Department of Primary Industries: Horticulture, vegetable, and ornamental crops, with an extensive list of articles on many topics. NSW Department of Primary Industries: Horticulture.
- Information PlantAmnesty www
Information on quality gardening and landscaping practice, PlantAmnesty, especially with regard to pruning of shrubs and trees. PlantAmnesty.
- Database Ecocrop www
Database interface that identifies suitable plants for a specified environment, Ecocrop, for a defined use, or for a defined description. Ecocrop.
- German Institute Economics in Horticulture www
German research institute based at Hanover University. Economics in Horticulture. Site in German and English. Institute Economics in Horticulture.
- Describes Colorado State University Specialty Crops Program www
Describes current research and grants for specialty crops in Colorado with emphasis on organic, State University Specialty Crops Program, small farm, and sustainable agriculture research. Colorado State University Specialty Crops Program.
- Annual Mid-Atlantic Horticulture Short Course www
Annual event sponsored by the Virginia Horticultural Foundation, Horticulture Short Course, with programs for professionals as well as home gardeners. Overview of workshops and speakers. Mid-Atlantic Horticulture Short Course.
- Examines Technical Manual on Small-Scale Processing of Fruits and Vegetables www
Examines the socioeconomic benefits and effects on rural development of small agroindustrial enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean. Manual on Small-Scale Processing of Fruits and Vegetables. Used as a guide for the activities that the United Nations FAO carries out in these areas. Technical Manual on Small-Scale Processing of Fruits and Vegetables.
- Information Horticulture Resources www
Information about the horticultural technology with links to the Journal of Applied Horticulture, Resources, and horticultural societies. Horticulture Resources.
- Teaching, NC State Horticulture www
Teaching, State Horticulture, research, and outreach in horticulture, including basic biology, ecology, production and use of horticultural products. NC State Horticulture.
- Promotes The American Society for Horticultural Science www
Promotes and encourages scientific research and education in horticulture within the United States and throughout the world. American Society for Horticultural Science. Publisher of HortScience, HortTechnology, and the Journal of ASHS. The American Society for Horticultural Science.
- Contains Horticultural Engineering www
Contains information about aspects of engineering, Engineering, including glasshouse construction and energy conservation, from Rutgers University. Horticultural Engineering.
- Encouraging Australian New Crops Project www
Encouraging the commercialisation of potential new crops (including herbs, New Crops Project, spices, and other horticultural crops) in Australia. Includes newsletter and links. Australian New Crops Project.
- A International Bulb Society www
A non-profit organization dedicated to sharing knowledge, Bulb Society, conducting research, and promoting conservation of geophytic plants, most usually known as "bulbs". International Bulb Society.
- Provides Plant Oils www
Provides information, Oils, resources and web links for over 200 plant oils and other plant extracts. Plant Oils.
- AgNIC Traditional Pacific Island Crops www
AgNIC guide to web resources. Pacific Island Crops. Includes information on cultivation, marketing, harvest, nutrition, recipes, and trade associations Traditional Pacific Island Crops.
- Serving Sydney Postharvest Laboratory www
Serving the fresh fruit and vegetable industry, Postharvest Laboratory, for matters including evaluation of postharvest technologies, storage and handling software, assistance with commercialization, patents, expert testimony, and cargo loss. Located in Sydney, Australia. Sydney Postharvest Laboratory.
- Information International Cultivar Registration Authorities www
Information on the distinct authorities, Cultivar Registration Authorities, how to chose and register a name, symposia and calendars. International Cultivar Registration Authorities.
- The Institute of Vegetables and Ornamental Crops www
The Institute carries out basic and applied research supporting the sustainable production of vegetable and ornamental plants and the rational use of natural resources. Institute of Vegetables and Ornamental Crops.
- Searchable Plantscope www
Searchable database of ornamental and fruit crops, Plantscope, offering photos and characteristics of a large number of plants traded in the Netherlands. English/Dutch/German. Plantscope.
- Non-profit American Floral Endowment: Floriculture Scholarships www
Non-profit group providing research grants and scholarships for the bedding plant and cut flower industries. Floral Endowment: Floriculture Scholarships. Includes history, program information and application form. American Floral Endowment: Floriculture Scholarships.
- The Henry Doubleday Research Association. www
The HDRA researches and promotes organic gardening in the UK. Henry Doubleday Research Association..
- Carries Peak Research www
Carries out a wide range of efficacy and residue work on horticultural crops throughout the North Island of New Zealand, Research, and offer off-season research for Northern Hemisphere companies. Peak Research.
- Biological Yosef Mizrahi's Homepage. www
Biological and horticultural aspects of wild and rare fruit and nut trees of warm climates. Mizrahi's Homepage.. Biology of cacti. Abnormally-ripening-fruit mutants. Yosef Mizrahi's Homepage..
- Details Controlled Environment Agriculture Center, University of Arizona www
Details of the center, Environment Agriculture Center, University of Arizona, and of growing crops by protected cultivation. Controlled Environment Agriculture Center, University of Arizona.
- An The Australian Master TreeGrower Program www
An 8 weeks educational program for landholders that can make an important contribution to the development of farm forestry. Australian Master TreeGrower Program. University of Melbourne. The Australian Master TreeGrower Program.
- Trees Trees for the Future www
Trees for the Future is a non-profit organization initiating and supporting agroforestry self-help projects in cooperation with groups and individuals in developing countries. Trees for the Future.
- Copiously Homeowner’s Guide to Safer Trees www
Copiously illustrated account of how to examine trees for safety, Guide to Safer Trees, what symptoms to look for, evaluating the findings and information on finding an arborist. Homeowner’s Guide to Safer Trees.
- Arboriculture International Society of Arboriculture www
Arboriculture On-line was developed to assist tree care professionals in developing and maintaining effective plant health care programs. Society of Arboriculture. Includes an extensive collection of urban forestry links. International Society of Arboriculture.
- Personal What Makes a Good Botanical Center www
Personal reviews of botanical gardens, Makes a Good Botanical Center, with links. What Makes a Good Botanical Center.
- Undertakes Mycorrhizal Systems Ltd www
Undertakes research on black truffles (Tuber melanosporum)and operates a global network of client-partner truffle plantations that comprise the world’s largest truffle research network. Mycorrhizal Systems Ltd.
- Article Growing Mushrooms in your Garden www
Article describing a number of ways to cultivate mushrooms on a small scale at little expense. Growing Mushrooms in your Garden.
- A Northern PlainFacts www
A bimonthly fact sheet on biological weed and pest control, PlainFacts, and soil and water management research programs, at the USDA-ARS Northern Plains Agricultural Research Laboratory in Sidney, MT. Northern PlainFacts.
- Encourages The National Farm-City Council www
Encourages links between farm families and urban residents by providing organizations with educational programs and materials about the people who grow their food. National Farm-City Council. News, calendar of events, tools for the classroom, and tips for planning an event. The National Farm-City Council.
- Fact Virginia Fruit Page www
Fact sheets on the cultivation of various fruit crops. Virginia Fruit Page.
- Najnovije Najnovije vesti iz oblasti voćarstva-Latest news from the field of Horticulture www
Najnovije vesti iz oblasti voćarstva-Latest news from the field of horticulture in Serbian and Croatian Najnovije vesti iz oblasti voćarstva-Latest news from the field of Horticulture.
- News Urban Agriculture News www
News service that provides a review of daily news and publishes monthly newsletters serving the community of practitioners, Agriculture News, developers and theorists that are planning and practicing agriculture within cities. Urban Agriculture News.
- Online Beginning Farmers www
Online resource providing practical information and resources for starting, Farmers, financing and running a small farm. Beginning Farmers.
- Alexa: Horticulture Agriculture
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Horticulture Agriculture
- DMOZ: Horticulture Agriculture
dmoz.org Directory: Horticulture Agriculture