This section lists sites specifically for the non-professional areas of astronomy. Amateurs are also known as "backyard astronomers." Amateur Astronomy Science.
An amateur ( French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non- professional or unpaid manner. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner.
- Amateur astronomy - Amateur astronomy is a hobby whose participants enjoy observing or imaging celestial objects in the sky using the unaided eye, binoculars, or telescopes.
- Amateur chemistry - Amateur chemistry or home chemistry is the pursuit of chemistry as a private hobby. Amateur chemistry is usually done with whatever chemicals are available at disposal at the privacy of one's home.
- Amateur film - Amateur film is the low-budget hobbyist art of film practised for passion and enjoyment and not for business purposes.
- Amateur geology - Amateur geology is the recreational study and hobby of collecting rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment.
- Amateur journalism - Amateur journalism is a hobby for starting small newspapers established after the U.S. Civil War, using small and inexpensive printing presses. Local circulation and exchanges, sometimes among associations were done. Conventions were also held.
- Amateur radio - Amateur radio describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication.
- Gallery, Rick Costello Space Art Paintings www
Gallery, Costello Space Art Paintings, about the artist, and essays. Rick Costello Space Art Paintings.
- Project The Silicon Sky www
Project links, Silicon Sky, weather, comet observing, interest links, minor planets, and resources. The Silicon Sky.
- Monthly Eagles Eye on the Sky www
Monthly guide to what's up in the sky. Eagles Eye on the Sky.
- Project 365 Days of Astronomy www
Project to provide an astronomy podcast every day of the year, Days of Astronomy, written, recorded and produced by people around the world. 365 Days of Astronomy.
- Experimental Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples www
Experimental astronomy applied on research of solar orientation of the temples in SE-Asia. Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples.
- Astrophotos, The Astro Pages www
Astrophotos, Astro Pages, articles, discussion boards, telescope making, observer's logs, and calendar. The Astro Pages.
- Weekly Astronomy Cast www
Weekly podcast providing discussions on astronomical topics ranging from planets to cosmology. Astronomy Cast.
- Equipment, StarJunkie www
Equipment, StarJunkie, astrophotography, terms, forum, photo archives, chat, and links. StarJunkie.
- Blogging Star Stryder www
Blogging the sky one sidereal day at a time. Star Stryder.
- Information How To Learn Astronomy www
Information on how to get started as a hobby. How To Learn Astronomy.
- Skynotes, Night Sky Observer www
Skynotes, Sky Observer, weather, articles, equipment, software, images, shop, ezine, and links. Night Sky Observer.
- The The Night Site www
The sky this month, Night Site, gallery, questions, for beginners, glossary, and links. The Night Site.
- Provides Astronomycentral www
Provides news, Astronomycentral, articles and resources updated daily. Astronomycentral.
- Supporting Astronomy Awards www
Supporting the hobby related web sites throughout world. Astronomy Awards.
- Offers Space www
Offers space, Space, astronomy and technology content, including information, education, entertainment and business news. Space.
- Myths Bad Astronomy www
Myths and misconceptions. Astronomy. Includes an introduction, brief biography, and discussion board. Bad Astronomy.
- Questions Ask an Astronomer www
Questions answered by graduate students, Astronomer, including a question and answer archive, information on the solar system, the universe, SETI, observational astronomy, careers and history. Ask an Astronomer.
- Practical Urban Astronomer www
Practical and educational articles to help the urban and armchair astronomer get the most out of the hobby. Urban Astronomer.
- Fun, Daniels Astronomical Page www
Fun, Astronomical Page, games, special events, astronomy events, classified ads, FAQ, About us and links. Daniels Astronomical Page.
- Visual Astronomical Observatory www
Visual and CCD photomety, Observatory, including classic and digital astrophotography. Presents equipment and resources. Located near Plomin in eastern Istria, Croatia. Astronomical Observatory.
- Images, Amateur Astronomy and Space Website www
Images, Astronomy and Space Website, CCD information, buy and sell, and links. Amateur Astronomy and Space Website.
- Equipment, DabsonAstronomy www
Equipment, DabsonAstronomy, gallery, observations, ETX-70 tips, projects, and links. DabsonAstronomy.
- This What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat www
This month by month with images and information on the moon, Up: The Observatory in Eilat, Jupiter, and Saturn. What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat.
- Contains Backyard Astronomer www
Contains sections for equipment, Astronomer, the beginner, books, the solar system and deep sky, web log, and links. Backyard Astronomer.
- What's Stargazing Network www
What's new, Network, mini-FAQ, and table of contents. Stargazing Network.
- Includes Astroscopic Labs www
Includes galleries, Labs, equipment reviews, articles, observation planning, and links. Astroscopic Labs.
- An Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere www
An article written by Philip Harrington. Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere.
- An Clear Skies On Demand www
An online astronomy journal by Math Heijen, Skies On Demand, backyard astronomer from the Netherlands. Observing logs from Sun, Moon and Deepsky, digital lunar and solar images, equipment reviews, links, books etc. Articles about the Sun, Moon and Deepsky. Clear Skies On Demand.
- Monthly Astronomy a Go Go www
Monthly podcast discussing what can be seen in the night sky. Astronomy a Go Go.
- Images, The Edge of Nowhere www
Images, Edge of Nowhere, events, news, information, games, awards, and links. The Edge of Nowhere.
- Images, Digital Astronomy Gallery www
Images, Astronomy Gallery, star enhancement processing, equipment information, and what's new. Digital Astronomy Gallery.
- The The Astronomy Cafe www
The menu is appetizers, Astronomy Cafe, specials, and main course. The Astronomy Cafe.
- Getting Astronomy Boy www
Getting started, Boy, CG-5 mount, SAA 100 list, constellation portraits, barn door tracker, comet Hale Bopp, homemade eyepieces, EQ mount tutorial, millennium rant, and biography, home. Astronomy Boy.
- Contains Space and Telescope.com www
Contains current space news, and Telescope.com, useful astronomical utilities and information, and amateur images. Includes clickable Messier and Caldwell object tables. Space and Telescope.com.
- Provides Astro World www
Provides studies, World, images, movies, and equations. Astro World.
- Study The Puckett Observatory www
Study of comets and the discovery of supernovae. The Puckett Observatory.
- Dedicated Coddenham Astronomical Observatory www
Dedicated to the search for and research of Supernovae. Coddenham Astronomical Observatory.
- Description, Bill's 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project www
Description, 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project, photographs, rebuilding of telescope, making simple lens for reflector, and links. Bill's 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project.
- Oak Al's Custom Telescope Accessories www
Oak tripod, Custom Telescope Accessories, tripod accessories, leg kits, feedback, and links. Al's Custom Telescope Accessories.
- Images, Mick's Astronomy Page www
Images, Astronomy Page, equipment and accessories, universe today, blast from the past, and guestbook. Mick's Astronomy Page.
- Features Digital Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ www
Features information about terminology, Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ, equipment and techniques with astrophotographs. Digital Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ.
- The Astronomy: The Voyage www
The Nave Theory, The Voyage, images, and Area 51 information. Astronomy: The Voyage.
- A Skywatch www
A calendar of events of upcoming aurora, Skywatch, meteor showers, eclipses, and planets. Skywatch.
- Information Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky www
Information for choosing the correct type of equipment. Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky.
- Provides Telescope Binoculars www
Provides information on binocular telescopes, Binoculars, binoculars and telescopes, with a link to the Astro-Store. Telescope Binoculars.
- Forum Heavens Above www
Forum for all aspects of amateur Astronomy. Heavens Above.
- Gallery The Uk Astro Imaging Forum www
Gallery and personal albums, Astro Imaging Forum, processing competition, reviews, and articles. The Uk Astro Imaging Forum.
- The Astronomical Optical Interferometry www
The use of multiple telescopes to produce high resolution images - commonly used at most modern observatories. Optical Interferometry. A literature review article. Astronomical Optical Interferometry.
- A Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy www
A web encyclopedia. Weisstein's World of Astronomy. Over 500 entries, ranging from definitions to full articles. Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy.
- Alexa: Amateur Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Amateur Astronomy
- DMOZ: Amateur Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: Amateur Astronomy