This section lists sites specifically for the non-professional areas of astronomy. Amateurs are also known as "backyard astronomers." Amateur Astronomy Science.
An amateur ( French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non- professional or unpaid manner. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner.
- Amateur astronomy - Amateur astronomy is a hobby whose participants enjoy watching the sky, and the abundance of objects found in it with the unaided eye, binoculars, or telescopes.
- Amateur chemistry - Amateur chemistry or home chemistry is the pursuit of chemistry as a private hobby. Amateur chemistry is usually done with whatever chemicals are available at disposal at the privacy of one's home.
- Amateur film - Amateur film is the low-budget hobbyist art of film practiced for passion and enjoyment and not for business purposes.
- Amateur geology - Amateur geology is the recreational study and hobby of collecting rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment.
- Amateur journalism - Amateur journalism is a hobby for starting small newspapers established after the U.S. Civil War, using small and inexpensive printing presses. Local circulation and exchanges, sometimes among associations were done. Conventions were also held.
- Amateur radio - Amateur radio describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication.
- The The Astronomy Cafe www
The menu is appetizers, Astronomy Cafe, specials, and main course. The Astronomy Cafe.
- Information How To Learn Astronomy www
Information on how to get started as a hobby. How To Learn Astronomy.
- Gallery, Rick Costello Space Art Paintings www
Gallery, Costello Space Art Paintings, about the artist, and essays. Rick Costello Space Art Paintings.
- Experimental Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples www
Experimental astronomy applied on research of solar orientation of the temples in SE-Asia. Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples.
- Monthly Eagles Eye on the Sky www
Monthly guide to what's up in the sky. Eagles Eye on the Sky.
- Equipment, StarJunkie www
Equipment, StarJunkie, astrophotography, terms, forum, photo archives, chat, and links. StarJunkie.
- Contains Backyard Astronomer www
Contains sections for equipment, Astronomer, the beginner, books, the solar system and deep sky, web log, and links. Backyard Astronomer.
- Practical Urban Astronomer www
Practical and educational articles to help the urban and armchair astronomer get the most out of the hobby. Urban Astronomer.
- Weekly Astronomy Cast www
Weekly podcast providing discussions on astronomical topics ranging from planets to cosmology. Astronomy Cast.
- Visual Astronomical Observatory www
Visual and CCD photomety, Observatory, including classic and digital astrophotography. Presents equipment and resources. Located near Plomin in eastern Istria, Croatia. Astronomical Observatory.
- Monthly Astronomy a Go Go www
Monthly podcast discussing what can be seen in the night sky. Astronomy a Go Go.
- Project The Silicon Sky www
Project links, Silicon Sky, weather, comet observing, interest links, minor planets, and resources. The Silicon Sky.
- Getting Astronomy Boy www
Getting started, Boy, CG-5 mount, SAA 100 list, constellation portraits, barn door tracker, comet Hale Bopp, homemade eyepieces, EQ mount tutorial, millennium rant, and biography, home. Astronomy Boy.
- Blogging Star Stryder www
Blogging the sky one sidereal day at a time. Star Stryder.
- Skynotes, Night Sky Observer www
Skynotes, Sky Observer, weather, articles, equipment, software, images, shop, ezine, and links. Night Sky Observer.
- Includes Astroscopic Labs www
Includes galleries, Labs, equipment reviews, articles, observation planning, and links. Astroscopic Labs.
- Fun, Daniels Astronomical Page www
Fun, Astronomical Page, games, special events, astronomy events, classified ads, FAQ, About us and links. Daniels Astronomical Page.
- Offers Space www
Offers space, Space, astronomy and technology content, including information, education, entertainment and business news. Space.
- Provides Astro World www
Provides studies, World, images, movies, and equations. Astro World.
- An Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere www
An article written by Philip Harrington. Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Astrophotos, The Astro Pages www
Astrophotos, Astro Pages, articles, discussion boards, telescope making, observer's logs, and calendar. The Astro Pages.
- Images, The Edge of Nowhere www
Images, Edge of Nowhere, events, news, information, games, awards, and links. The Edge of Nowhere.
- Provides Astronomycentral www
Provides news, Astronomycentral, articles and resources updated daily. Astronomycentral.
- Myths Bad Astronomy www
Myths and misconceptions. Astronomy. Includes an introduction, brief biography, and discussion board. Bad Astronomy.
- This What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat www
This month by month with images and information on the moon, Up: The Observatory in Eilat, Jupiter, and Saturn. What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat.
- Project 365 Days of Astronomy www
Project to provide an astronomy podcast every day of the year, Days of Astronomy, written, recorded and produced by people around the world. 365 Days of Astronomy.
- Images, Digital Astronomy Gallery www
Images, Astronomy Gallery, star enhancement processing, equipment information, and what's new. Digital Astronomy Gallery.
- Contains Space and Telescope.com www
Contains current space news, and Telescope.com, useful astronomical utilities and information, and amateur images. Includes clickable Messier and Caldwell object tables. Space and Telescope.com.
- What's Stargazing Network www
What's new, Network, mini-FAQ, and table of contents. Stargazing Network.
- Supporting Astronomy Awards www
Supporting the hobby related web sites throughout world. Astronomy Awards.
- An Clear Skies On Demand www
An online astronomy journal by Math Heijen, Skies On Demand, backyard astronomer from the Netherlands. Observing logs from Sun, Moon and Deepsky, digital lunar and solar images, equipment reviews, links, books etc. Articles about the Sun, Moon and Deepsky. Clear Skies On Demand.
- Questions Ask an Astronomer www
Questions answered by graduate students, Astronomer, including a question and answer archive, information on the solar system, the universe, SETI, observational astronomy, careers and history. Ask an Astronomer.
- Images, Amateur Astronomy and Space Website www
Images, Astronomy and Space Website, CCD information, buy and sell, and links. Amateur Astronomy and Space Website.
- The The Night Site www
The sky this month, Night Site, gallery, questions, for beginners, glossary, and links. The Night Site.
- Equipment, DabsonAstronomy www
Equipment, DabsonAstronomy, gallery, observations, ETX-70 tips, projects, and links. DabsonAstronomy.
- Features Hellenic Supernova Search Team www
Features a description of supernovae, Supernova Search Team, members, observatory information, sponsors, other projects, gallery, and news. Hellenic Supernova Search Team.
- Observations MBCAA Observatory www
Observations of variable stars and transient phenomena. MBCAA Observatory.
- Description, Bill's 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project www
Description, 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project, photographs, rebuilding of telescope, making simple lens for reflector, and links. Bill's 14.5 Inch Telescope Making Project.
- Information The Construction - Littlebear Observatory www
Information and photos on the construction of the observatory. The Construction - Littlebear Observatory.
- Image Stellar Products www
Image galleries, Products, tutorials, and products. Stellar Products.
- Gallery Comet McNaught www
Gallery with photo details. McNaught. Provides local sunset times for southern hemisphere cities. Comet McNaught.
- Discussion Telescopes www
Discussion of two types for beginners, Telescopes, the reflector and the refractor. Telescopes.
- Gallery, Sights Above www
Gallery, Above, equipment, audio-video, log, accessories, telescope 101, and links. Sights Above.
- Provides Telescope Binoculars www
Provides information on binocular telescopes, Binoculars, binoculars and telescopes, with a link to the Astro-Store. Telescope Binoculars.
- Information Binocular Basics www
Information on optical instrument. Binocular Basics.
- Free Sky Insight www
Free newsletter, Insight, articles, discussion forum, lunar atlas, observing lists, and store. Sky Insight.
- Locating, Astronomy Images www
Locating, Images, identifying and alerting members to the most beautiful and interesting astronomical images on the Web. Astronomy Images.
- Gives Astronomy Online www
Gives overview of the solar system, Online, the Milky Way galaxy, extrasolar planets, cosmology and astrophotography. Includes images, additional resources, and forums. Astronomy Online.
- List Astronomical Pseudo-Science: A Skeptic's Resource List www
List of links for those, Pseudo-Science: A Skeptic's Resource List, who want to examine theories that are on the fringe of accepted scientific thought that are related connected to astronomy. A few examples are astrology, UFO's, the "Face" on Mars, and ancient astronaut theory. Astronomical Pseudo-Science: A Skeptic's Resource List.
- Alexa: Amateur Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Amateur Astronomy
- DMOZ: Amateur Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: Amateur Astronomy