This section lists sites specifically for the non-professional areas of astronomy. Amateurs are also known as "backyard astronomers." Amateur Astronomy Science.
An amateur ( French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non- professional or unpaid manner. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner.
- Amateur astronomy - Amateur astronomy is a hobby whose participants enjoy observing or imaging celestial objects in the sky using the unaided eye, binoculars, or telescopes.
- Amateur chemistry - Amateur chemistry or home chemistry is the pursuit of chemistry as a private hobby. Amateur chemistry is usually done with whatever chemicals are available at disposal at the privacy of one's home.
- Amateur film - Amateur film is the low-budget hobbyist art of film practised for passion and enjoyment and not for business purposes.
- Amateur geology - Amateur geology is the recreational study and hobby of collecting rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment.
- Amateur journalism - Amateur journalism is a hobby for starting small newspapers established after the U.S. Civil War, using small and inexpensive printing presses. Local circulation and exchanges, sometimes among associations were done. Conventions were also held.
- Amateur radio - Amateur radio describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication.
- Offers Space www
Offers space, Space, astronomy and technology content, including information, education, entertainment and business news. Space.
- Provides Astro World www
Provides studies, World, images, movies, and equations. Astro World.
- Blogging Star Stryder www
Blogging the sky one sidereal day at a time. Star Stryder.
- Images, Digital Astronomy Gallery www
Images, Astronomy Gallery, star enhancement processing, equipment information, and what's new. Digital Astronomy Gallery.
- Skynotes, Night Sky Observer www
Skynotes, Sky Observer, weather, articles, equipment, software, images, shop, ezine, and links. Night Sky Observer.
- Gallery, Rick Costello Space Art Paintings www
Gallery, Costello Space Art Paintings, about the artist, and essays. Rick Costello Space Art Paintings.
- Information How To Learn Astronomy www
Information on how to get started as a hobby. How To Learn Astronomy.
- Contains Backyard Astronomer www
Contains sections for equipment, Astronomer, the beginner, books, the solar system and deep sky, web log, and links. Backyard Astronomer.
- Monthly Astronomy a Go Go www
Monthly podcast discussing what can be seen in the night sky. Astronomy a Go Go.
- Getting Astronomy Boy www
Getting started, Boy, CG-5 mount, SAA 100 list, constellation portraits, barn door tracker, comet Hale Bopp, homemade eyepieces, EQ mount tutorial, millennium rant, and biography, home. Astronomy Boy.
- Project 365 Days of Astronomy www
Project to provide an astronomy podcast every day of the year, Days of Astronomy, written, recorded and produced by people around the world. 365 Days of Astronomy.
- Weekly Astronomy Cast www
Weekly podcast providing discussions on astronomical topics ranging from planets to cosmology. Astronomy Cast.
- Monthly Eagles Eye on the Sky www
Monthly guide to what's up in the sky. Eagles Eye on the Sky.
- Provides Astronomycentral www
Provides news, Astronomycentral, articles and resources updated daily. Astronomycentral.
- Equipment, DabsonAstronomy www
Equipment, DabsonAstronomy, gallery, observations, ETX-70 tips, projects, and links. DabsonAstronomy.
- Contains Space and Telescope.com www
Contains current space news, and Telescope.com, useful astronomical utilities and information, and amateur images. Includes clickable Messier and Caldwell object tables. Space and Telescope.com.
- What's Stargazing Network www
What's new, Network, mini-FAQ, and table of contents. Stargazing Network.
- Myths Bad Astronomy www
Myths and misconceptions. Astronomy. Includes an introduction, brief biography, and discussion board. Bad Astronomy.
- Project The Silicon Sky www
Project links, Silicon Sky, weather, comet observing, interest links, minor planets, and resources. The Silicon Sky.
- Images, The Edge of Nowhere www
Images, Edge of Nowhere, events, news, information, games, awards, and links. The Edge of Nowhere.
- The The Astronomy Cafe www
The menu is appetizers, Astronomy Cafe, specials, and main course. The Astronomy Cafe.
- Supporting Astronomy Awards www
Supporting the hobby related web sites throughout world. Astronomy Awards.
- An Clear Skies On Demand www
An online astronomy journal by Math Heijen, Skies On Demand, backyard astronomer from the Netherlands. Observing logs from Sun, Moon and Deepsky, digital lunar and solar images, equipment reviews, links, books etc. Articles about the Sun, Moon and Deepsky. Clear Skies On Demand.
- This What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat www
This month by month with images and information on the moon, Up: The Observatory in Eilat, Jupiter, and Saturn. What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat.
- Astrophotos, The Astro Pages www
Astrophotos, Astro Pages, articles, discussion boards, telescope making, observer's logs, and calendar. The Astro Pages.
- Fun, Daniels Astronomical Page www
Fun, Astronomical Page, games, special events, astronomy events, classified ads, FAQ, About us and links. Daniels Astronomical Page.
- Equipment, StarJunkie www
Equipment, StarJunkie, astrophotography, terms, forum, photo archives, chat, and links. StarJunkie.
- Visual Astronomical Observatory www
Visual and CCD photomety, Observatory, including classic and digital astrophotography. Presents equipment and resources. Located near Plomin in eastern Istria, Croatia. Astronomical Observatory.
- Practical Urban Astronomer www
Practical and educational articles to help the urban and armchair astronomer get the most out of the hobby. Urban Astronomer.
- The The Night Site www
The sky this month, Night Site, gallery, questions, for beginners, glossary, and links. The Night Site.
- An Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere www
An article written by Philip Harrington. Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Images, Amateur Astronomy and Space Website www
Images, Astronomy and Space Website, CCD information, buy and sell, and links. Amateur Astronomy and Space Website.
- Experimental Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples www
Experimental astronomy applied on research of solar orientation of the temples in SE-Asia. Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples.
- Includes Astroscopic Labs www
Includes galleries, Labs, equipment reviews, articles, observation planning, and links. Astroscopic Labs.
- Questions Ask an Astronomer www
Questions answered by graduate students, Astronomer, including a question and answer archive, information on the solar system, the universe, SETI, observational astronomy, careers and history. Ask an Astronomer.
- Study The Puckett Observatory www
Study of comets and the discovery of supernovae. The Puckett Observatory.
- Dedicated Extrasolar Planet Search Project www
Dedicated to amateur radial velocity studies. Extrasolar Planet Search Project.
- Construction Poor Meadow Dyke Observatory www
Construction details with images of Dobsonian, Meadow Dyke Observatory, GEM reflector, portable Dobsonian, 20" goto scope, dome, and 20" goto Dobsonian. Poor Meadow Dyke Observatory.
- Oak Al's Custom Telescope Accessories www
Oak tripod, Custom Telescope Accessories, tripod accessories, leg kits, feedback, and links. Al's Custom Telescope Accessories.
- Features Digital Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ www
Features information about terminology, Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ, equipment and techniques with astrophotographs. Digital Camera Astronomical Imaging FAQ.
- Gallery, Astrophotography with a Modified Webcam www
Gallery, with a Modified Webcam, equipment, downloads, guestbook and links. Astrophotography with a Modified Webcam.
- Offers Observational Astronomy www
Offers information on learning about astronomical objects and then viewing the objects through use of the eye or with various optics. Observational Astronomy.
- Tips For the Beginner www
Tips for getting started in astronomy. For the Beginner.
- Equipment Binoculars for Astronomy www
Equipment article by Ed Ting. Binoculars for Astronomy.
- Locating Astronomy In Your Hands www
Locating and observing a selection of targets through planning and preparation, Your Hands, required items, and background knowledge. Astronomy In Your Hands.
- Free Sky Insight www
Free newsletter, Insight, articles, discussion forum, lunar atlas, observing lists, and store. Sky Insight.
- Forum Heavens Above www
Forum for all aspects of amateur Astronomy. Heavens Above.
- Offers Cosmos Portal www
Offers information on astronomy and space science including news, Portal, events, blogs, images, videos and links to other sites. It is written and compiled by experts. Cosmos Portal.
- Fun Astronomy Facts and Trivia www
Fun facts and trivia relating to astronomy, Facts and Trivia, space, science fiction movies. Most trivia items are submitted by users. Astronomy Facts and Trivia.
- Alexa: Amateur Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Amateur Astronomy
- DMOZ: Amateur Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: Amateur Astronomy