This section lists sites specifically for the non-professional areas of astronomy. Amateurs are also known as "backyard astronomers." Amateur Astronomy Science.
An amateur ( French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non- professional or unpaid manner. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner.
- Amateur astronomy - Amateur astronomy is a hobby whose participants enjoy watching the sky, and the abundance of objects found in it with the unaided eye, binoculars, or telescopes.
- Amateur chemistry - Amateur chemistry or home chemistry is the pursuit of chemistry as a private hobby. Amateur chemistry is usually done with whatever chemicals are available at disposal at the privacy of one's home.
- Amateur film - Amateur film is the low-budget hobbyist art of film practiced for passion and enjoyment and not for business purposes.
- Amateur geology - Amateur geology is the recreational study and hobby of collecting rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment.
- Amateur journalism - Amateur journalism is a hobby for starting small newspapers established after the U.S. Civil War, using small and inexpensive printing presses. Local circulation and exchanges, sometimes among associations were done. Conventions were also held.
- Amateur radio - Amateur radio describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication.
- Equipment, DabsonAstronomy www
Equipment, DabsonAstronomy, gallery, observations, ETX-70 tips, projects, and links. DabsonAstronomy.
- Fun, Daniels Astronomical Page www
Fun, Astronomical Page, games, special events, astronomy events, classified ads, FAQ, About us and links. Daniels Astronomical Page.
- Skynotes, Night Sky Observer www
Skynotes, Sky Observer, weather, articles, equipment, software, images, shop, ezine, and links. Night Sky Observer.
- Gallery, Rick Costello Space Art Paintings www
Gallery, Costello Space Art Paintings, about the artist, and essays. Rick Costello Space Art Paintings.
- Project 365 Days of Astronomy www
Project to provide an astronomy podcast every day of the year, Days of Astronomy, written, recorded and produced by people around the world. 365 Days of Astronomy.
- Myths Bad Astronomy www
Myths and misconceptions. Astronomy. Includes an introduction, brief biography, and discussion board. Bad Astronomy.
- Weekly Astronomy Cast www
Weekly podcast providing discussions on astronomical topics ranging from planets to cosmology. Astronomy Cast.
- Questions Ask an Astronomer www
Questions answered by graduate students, Astronomer, including a question and answer archive, information on the solar system, the universe, SETI, observational astronomy, careers and history. Ask an Astronomer.
- Images, Digital Astronomy Gallery www
Images, Astronomy Gallery, star enhancement processing, equipment information, and what's new. Digital Astronomy Gallery.
- This What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat www
This month by month with images and information on the moon, Up: The Observatory in Eilat, Jupiter, and Saturn. What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat.
- Contains Space and Telescope.com www
Contains current space news, and Telescope.com, useful astronomical utilities and information, and amateur images. Includes clickable Messier and Caldwell object tables. Space and Telescope.com.
- What's Stargazing Network www
What's new, Network, mini-FAQ, and table of contents. Stargazing Network.
- Project The Silicon Sky www
Project links, Silicon Sky, weather, comet observing, interest links, minor planets, and resources. The Silicon Sky.
- An Clear Skies On Demand www
An online astronomy journal by Math Heijen, Skies On Demand, backyard astronomer from the Netherlands. Observing logs from Sun, Moon and Deepsky, digital lunar and solar images, equipment reviews, links, books etc. Articles about the Sun, Moon and Deepsky. Clear Skies On Demand.
- Offers Space www
Offers space, Space, astronomy and technology content, including information, education, entertainment and business news. Space.
- An Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere www
An article written by Philip Harrington. Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Includes Astroscopic Labs www
Includes galleries, Labs, equipment reviews, articles, observation planning, and links. Astroscopic Labs.
- Provides Astro World www
Provides studies, World, images, movies, and equations. Astro World.
- Astrophotos, The Astro Pages www
Astrophotos, Astro Pages, articles, discussion boards, telescope making, observer's logs, and calendar. The Astro Pages.
- Information How To Learn Astronomy www
Information on how to get started as a hobby. How To Learn Astronomy.
- Equipment, StarJunkie www
Equipment, StarJunkie, astrophotography, terms, forum, photo archives, chat, and links. StarJunkie.
- Images, The Edge of Nowhere www
Images, Edge of Nowhere, events, news, information, games, awards, and links. The Edge of Nowhere.
- Getting Astronomy Boy www
Getting started, Boy, CG-5 mount, SAA 100 list, constellation portraits, barn door tracker, comet Hale Bopp, homemade eyepieces, EQ mount tutorial, millennium rant, and biography, home. Astronomy Boy.
- Monthly Astronomy a Go Go www
Monthly podcast discussing what can be seen in the night sky. Astronomy a Go Go.
- Visual Astronomical Observatory www
Visual and CCD photomety, Observatory, including classic and digital astrophotography. Presents equipment and resources. Located near Plomin in eastern Istria, Croatia. Astronomical Observatory.
- Supporting Astronomy Awards www
Supporting the hobby related web sites throughout world. Astronomy Awards.
- The The Astronomy Cafe www
The menu is appetizers, Astronomy Cafe, specials, and main course. The Astronomy Cafe.
- Experimental Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples www
Experimental astronomy applied on research of solar orientation of the temples in SE-Asia. Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples.
- Images, Amateur Astronomy and Space Website www
Images, Astronomy and Space Website, CCD information, buy and sell, and links. Amateur Astronomy and Space Website.
- Contains Backyard Astronomer www
Contains sections for equipment, Astronomer, the beginner, books, the solar system and deep sky, web log, and links. Backyard Astronomer.
- Monthly Eagles Eye on the Sky www
Monthly guide to what's up in the sky. Eagles Eye on the Sky.
- Blogging Star Stryder www
Blogging the sky one sidereal day at a time. Star Stryder.
- Provides Astronomycentral www
Provides news, Astronomycentral, articles and resources updated daily. Astronomycentral.
- The The Night Site www
The sky this month, Night Site, gallery, questions, for beginners, glossary, and links. The Night Site.
- Practical Urban Astronomer www
Practical and educational articles to help the urban and armchair astronomer get the most out of the hobby. Urban Astronomer.
- A Systemic www
A collaborative effort with public participation to build a statistical model of the galactic planetary census. Systemic.
- Observations MBCAA Observatory www
Observations of variable stars and transient phenomena. MBCAA Observatory.
- Plans San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers: Building Telescopes www
Plans and how-to's for building a Dobsonian telescope, Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers: Building Telescopes, solar filter, and mirror-making techniques. San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers: Building Telescopes.
- Articles An Amateur Telescope Maker's Projects www
Articles on various telescope designs. An Amateur Telescope Maker's Projects.
- Galleries, Clear Skies www
Galleries, Skies, equipment, links, guestbook. Clear Skies.
- Digital Eyeshots www
Digital photographs of the sun, Eyeshots, moon, and planets. Eyeshots.
- Discusses So You Wanna Buy a Telescope www
Discusses telescopes, You Wanna Buy a Telescope, types, buying, and accessories. So You Wanna Buy a Telescope.
- Offers Observational Astronomy www
Offers information on learning about astronomical objects and then viewing the objects through use of the eye or with various optics. Observational Astronomy.
- Contents BinoSky www
Contents of the sky by region and individual sites. BinoSky.
- Information Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky www
Information for choosing the correct type of equipment. Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky.
- Discussions Tim's Astronomy Forum www
Discussions for general, Astronomy Forum, telescopes, and equipment and accessories topics. Tim's Astronomy Forum.
- Discussions Astronomy Forums www
Discussions on space, Forums, physics, news, and commercialization. Features projects and events. Astronomy Forums.
- Contains An Atlas of the Universe www
Contains 3D maps of the universe zooming out from the nearest stars to the scale of the galaxy and out to the surrounding superclusters and finally to the scale of the known universe. An Atlas of the Universe.
- Leaflet The Naming of Stars www
Leaflet from Royal Greenwich Observatory. The Naming of Stars.
- Alexa: Amateur Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Amateur Astronomy
- DMOZ: Amateur Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: Amateur Astronomy