This section lists sites specifically for the non-professional areas of astronomy. Amateurs are also known as "backyard astronomers." Amateur Astronomy Science.
An amateur ( French amateur "lover of", from Old French and ultimately from Latin amatorem nom. amator, "lover") is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non- professional or unpaid manner. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An amateur is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science in a non-professional or unpaid manner.
- Amateur astronomy - Amateur astronomy is a hobby whose participants enjoy watching the sky, and the abundance of objects found in it with the unaided eye, binoculars, or telescopes.
- Amateur chemistry - Amateur chemistry or home chemistry is the pursuit of chemistry as a private hobby. Amateur chemistry is usually done with whatever chemicals are available at disposal at the privacy of one's home.
- Amateur film - Amateur film is the low-budget hobbyist art of film practiced for passion and enjoyment and not for business purposes.
- Amateur geology - Amateur geology is the recreational study and hobby of collecting rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment.
- Amateur journalism - Amateur journalism is a hobby for starting small newspapers established after the U.S. Civil War, using small and inexpensive printing presses. Local circulation and exchanges, sometimes among associations were done. Conventions were also held.
- Amateur radio - Amateur radio describes the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication.
- Offers Space www
Offers space, Space, astronomy and technology content, including information, education, entertainment and business news. Space.
- Gallery, Rick Costello Space Art Paintings www
Gallery, Costello Space Art Paintings, about the artist, and essays. Rick Costello Space Art Paintings.
- Monthly Eagles Eye on the Sky www
Monthly guide to what's up in the sky. Eagles Eye on the Sky.
- An Clear Skies On Demand www
An online astronomy journal by Math Heijen, Skies On Demand, backyard astronomer from the Netherlands. Observing logs from Sun, Moon and Deepsky, digital lunar and solar images, equipment reviews, links, books etc. Articles about the Sun, Moon and Deepsky. Clear Skies On Demand.
- Astrophotos, The Astro Pages www
Astrophotos, Astro Pages, articles, discussion boards, telescope making, observer's logs, and calendar. The Astro Pages.
- Myths Bad Astronomy www
Myths and misconceptions. Astronomy. Includes an introduction, brief biography, and discussion board. Bad Astronomy.
- Visual Astronomical Observatory www
Visual and CCD photomety, Observatory, including classic and digital astrophotography. Presents equipment and resources. Located near Plomin in eastern Istria, Croatia. Astronomical Observatory.
- Weekly Astronomy Cast www
Weekly podcast providing discussions on astronomical topics ranging from planets to cosmology. Astronomy Cast.
- Equipment, StarJunkie www
Equipment, StarJunkie, astrophotography, terms, forum, photo archives, chat, and links. StarJunkie.
- An Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere www
An article written by Philip Harrington. Summer Stargazing - Night Sky in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Getting Astronomy Boy www
Getting started, Boy, CG-5 mount, SAA 100 list, constellation portraits, barn door tracker, comet Hale Bopp, homemade eyepieces, EQ mount tutorial, millennium rant, and biography, home. Astronomy Boy.
- Project 365 Days of Astronomy www
Project to provide an astronomy podcast every day of the year, Days of Astronomy, written, recorded and produced by people around the world. 365 Days of Astronomy.
- Fun, Daniels Astronomical Page www
Fun, Astronomical Page, games, special events, astronomy events, classified ads, FAQ, About us and links. Daniels Astronomical Page.
- The The Night Site www
The sky this month, Night Site, gallery, questions, for beginners, glossary, and links. The Night Site.
- Provides Astro World www
Provides studies, World, images, movies, and equations. Astro World.
- Monthly Astronomy a Go Go www
Monthly podcast discussing what can be seen in the night sky. Astronomy a Go Go.
- Contains Space and Telescope.com www
Contains current space news, and Telescope.com, useful astronomical utilities and information, and amateur images. Includes clickable Messier and Caldwell object tables. Space and Telescope.com.
- Skynotes, Night Sky Observer www
Skynotes, Sky Observer, weather, articles, equipment, software, images, shop, ezine, and links. Night Sky Observer.
- Information How To Learn Astronomy www
Information on how to get started as a hobby. How To Learn Astronomy.
- Equipment, DabsonAstronomy www
Equipment, DabsonAstronomy, gallery, observations, ETX-70 tips, projects, and links. DabsonAstronomy.
- Images, Digital Astronomy Gallery www
Images, Astronomy Gallery, star enhancement processing, equipment information, and what's new. Digital Astronomy Gallery.
- Contains Backyard Astronomer www
Contains sections for equipment, Astronomer, the beginner, books, the solar system and deep sky, web log, and links. Backyard Astronomer.
- Practical Urban Astronomer www
Practical and educational articles to help the urban and armchair astronomer get the most out of the hobby. Urban Astronomer.
- Images, Amateur Astronomy and Space Website www
Images, Astronomy and Space Website, CCD information, buy and sell, and links. Amateur Astronomy and Space Website.
- Blogging Star Stryder www
Blogging the sky one sidereal day at a time. Star Stryder.
- What's Stargazing Network www
What's new, Network, mini-FAQ, and table of contents. Stargazing Network.
- The The Astronomy Cafe www
The menu is appetizers, Astronomy Cafe, specials, and main course. The Astronomy Cafe.
- Provides Astronomycentral www
Provides news, Astronomycentral, articles and resources updated daily. Astronomycentral.
- Images, The Edge of Nowhere www
Images, Edge of Nowhere, events, news, information, games, awards, and links. The Edge of Nowhere.
- Questions Ask an Astronomer www
Questions answered by graduate students, Astronomer, including a question and answer archive, information on the solar system, the universe, SETI, observational astronomy, careers and history. Ask an Astronomer.
- Supporting Astronomy Awards www
Supporting the hobby related web sites throughout world. Astronomy Awards.
- Includes Astroscopic Labs www
Includes galleries, Labs, equipment reviews, articles, observation planning, and links. Astroscopic Labs.
- Experimental Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples www
Experimental astronomy applied on research of solar orientation of the temples in SE-Asia. Sundial, Calendar and Khmer Temples.
- This What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat www
This month by month with images and information on the moon, Up: The Observatory in Eilat, Jupiter, and Saturn. What's Up: The Observatory in Eilat.
- Project The Silicon Sky www
Project links, Silicon Sky, weather, comet observing, interest links, minor planets, and resources. The Silicon Sky.
- Dedicated Extrasolar Planet Search Project www
Dedicated to amateur radial velocity studies. Extrasolar Planet Search Project.
- Dedicated Coddenham Astronomical Observatory www
Dedicated to the search for and research of Supernovae. Coddenham Astronomical Observatory.
- Construction Making and Motorizing of Telescope www
Construction of small newtonian and Mel Bartels system for computer control. Making and Motorizing of Telescope.
- Information A Photovisual Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope www
Information acquired during design and construction of a 7. Photovisual Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope.5" aperture F8. A Photovisual Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope.
- General Astrophotography Homepage of Wesley Verbraecken www
General information, Homepage of Wesley Verbraecken, equipment, DSLR results, and ToUcam results. Astrophotography Homepage of Wesley Verbraecken.
- Video Collected Data and Links on Low Light CCD Cameras www
Video equipment, Data and Links on Low Light CCD Cameras, applications in the hobby, modifications, sources and supplies, and software. Collected Data and Links on Low Light CCD Cameras.
- Guide Beginner's Guide to Astronomy www
Guide to getting started as an amateur astronomer. Beginner's Guide to Astronomy.
- Information Astronomy for Beginners www
Information on basics, for Beginners, equipment, what to see, astrophotography, and links. Astronomy for Beginners.
- Provides Telescope Binoculars www
Provides information on binocular telescopes, Binoculars, binoculars and telescopes, with a link to the Astro-Store. Telescope Binoculars.
- Information Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky www
Information for choosing the correct type of equipment. Using Binoculars to View the Night Sky.
- Against Bad Astronomy and Universe Forum Today www
Against the mainstream, Astronomy and Universe Forum Today, general, Martian chronicles, lunar conspiracies, bad TV and bad movies, the book, and Planet X. Bad Astronomy and Universe Forum Today.
- Forum Heavens Above www
Forum for all aspects of amateur Astronomy. Heavens Above.
- A Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy www
A web encyclopedia. Weisstein's World of Astronomy. Over 500 entries, ranging from definitions to full articles. Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy.
- Computes Astronomical Applications Department, U.S. Naval Observatory www
Computes the position, Applications Department, U.S. Naval Observatory, brightness, and other observable characteristics of celestial bodies, as well as the circumstances of astronomical phenomena. Includes information on calendars and related topics. Astronomical Applications Department, U.S. Naval Observatory.
- Alexa: Amateur Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Amateur Astronomy
- DMOZ: Amateur Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: Amateur Astronomy