Astronomy is the scientific study of objects and phenomena beyond the earth's atmosphere by means other than visiting them or sending probes. The history of astronomy is the study of the development of astronomy from the earliest written records to somewhere very near the present time. Astrology is not astronomy, but it did play a role in the development of astronomy. Babylonian astrologers' determination of the positions of stars may be found here, their study of the effects of those positions on human affairs will not. The history of the scientific search for extra-terrestrial intelligence may be found here. UFOs visiting earth will not. This section is not limited to Western astronomy. History Astronomy Science.
History (from Greek ἱστορία, historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation") is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. (wikipedia)
- History The study of the past as it is described in written documents. Events occurring before...
- History of the world The history of humanity, as determined from archaeology, anthropology, genetics, linguistics, and...
- History of the Earth The history of Earth concerns the development of planet Earth from its formation to the present day.
- Philosophy of history The philosophical study of history and the past.
- Medical history The medical history or case history of a patient is information gained by a physician by asking...
- Changelog A log or record of all notable changes made to a project.
- History The Histories of Herodotus is now considered the founding work of history in Western literature.
- History (band) A South Korean boy group formed by LOEN Entertainment in 2013.
- History (U.S. TV network) An American digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by A&E Networks, a joint...
- Herstory Herstory is history written from a feminist perspective, emphasizing the role of women, or told...
- Workshops Biennial History of Astronomy Conferences www
Workshops at Notre Dame, History of Astronomy Conferences, papers presented, abstracts, group pictures of attendees. Biennial History of Astronomy Conferences.
- Robert The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation www
Robert Woodrow Wilson Nobel Lecture. The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation.
- The History and Philosophy of Western Astronomy www
The History chapter of an introductory astronomy course. History and Philosophy of Western Astronomy.
- Provides Fireballs: A History of Meteors and other Atmospheric Phenomena www
Provides a history of phenomena seen in the sky from ancient times until the modern age. Fireballs: A History of Meteors and other Atmospheric Phenomena.
- The Telescopes from the Ground Up www
The history of telescopes. Telescopes from the Ground Up.
- American Historical Astronomy Division www
American Astronomical Society division devoted to history, Astronomy Division, with a link to pages on the history of the society itself. Historical Astronomy Division.
- Radio Big Ear Radio Observatory www
Radio astronomy and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Big Ear Radio Observatory.
- A A Brief SETI Chronology www
A timeline of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, Brief SETI Chronology, from Morrison and Coconni to SETI@home. A Brief SETI Chronology.
- Tutorial/historical From Stargazers to Starships www
Tutorial/historical exposition of the motion of Earth in space, Stargazers to Starships, Newtonian mechanics and spaceflight, on a high school level. From Stargazers to Starships.
- From Astronomy in Sweden 1860-1940 www
From the Uppsala University Newsletter for History of Science. Astronomy in Sweden 1860-1940.
- Offers History of Astronomy www
Offers a history of the field and science. Astronomy. Features links to related sites, awards and contact details. Provided by the Working Group for the History of History of Astronomy.
- Articles MuslimHeritage.com - Astronomy www
Articles on astronomers, Astronomy, observatories, work performed and its significance from the ninth to the fifteenth centuries. MuslimHeritage.com - Astronomy.
- Discusses Astronomy in the 18th Century www
Discusses the development of reflective telescopes during the 1700's. the 18th Century. Covers the different types of mirrors and lens that were used during these times. Includes some key contributors to the improvement of the telescope during this period. Astronomy in the 18th Century.
- An The Star of Bethlehem www
An investigation of the science and history which bear on the mysterious star said to have accompanied the advent of Christ. The Star of Bethlehem.
- PBS A Science Odyssey - Physics and Astronomy www
PBS articles about 20th century astronomy and physics. A Science Odyssey - Physics and Astronomy.
- Images Digital Archive of Historical Astronomy Pictures www
Images from the history of astronomy, Archive of Historical Astronomy Pictures, old telescopes, pictures of astronomers, observatories. Digital Archive of Historical Astronomy Pictures.
- Excerpts Astronomical References in the Ruba'iyât of Omar Khayyam www
Excerpts and commentary with reproductions of some of Elihu Vedder's illustrations. Astronomical References in the Ruba'iyât of Omar Khayyam.
- Phase Starry Messenger www
Phase I of the Electronic History of Astronomy, Messenger, developed in the Whipple Museum of the History of Science at Trinity College, Cambridge. Covers the history of instruments and techniques, themes such as astrology and calendar reform, and biographies of major historical astronomers. Starry Messenger.
- Part Astronomy in the 19th - 21st Centuries www
Part of the history of astronomy covering the discoveries of the size and nature of the universe. Astronomy in the 19th - 21st Centuries.
- Astronomy Jewish Astronomy, From Ancient to Modern Times www
Astronomy in Israel from Og's Circle to the Wise Observatory. Jewish Astronomy, From Ancient to Modern Times.
- Astronomy Rundetaarn (The Round Tower) www
Astronomy in Denmark: Brahe, (The Round Tower), Roemer, Hertzsprung. Rundetaarn (The Round Tower).
- Article Islamic Astronomy www
Article by Owen Gingerich explores refinement and criticism of Ptolemaic astronomy, Astronomy, including religious influences on direction, and describes precursors to and influences on Copernicus. Islamic Astronomy.
- A Little Green Men, White Dwarfs or Pulsars? www
A personal account by Jocelyn Bell Burnell on the discovery of pulsars. Green Men, White Dwarfs or Pulsars?. Little Green Men, White Dwarfs or Pulsars?.
- A Atlas Celeste www
A rare celestial atlas discovered in the library of the Manchester Astronomical Society. Atlas Celeste.
- Academic The Society For The History Of Astronomy www
Academic and popular topics, Society For The History Of Astronomy, with a focus on Britain. The Society For The History Of Astronomy.
- Describes A History of X-ray Astronomy at Goddard www
Describes observations using balloons, History of X-ray Astronomy at Goddard, rockets and satellites. A History of X-ray Astronomy at Goddard.
- Article King Edward VI's Defence of Astronomy www
Article by Heather Hobden on this historic document which shows the understanding of astronomy in the mid 16th century. Edward VI's Defence of Astronomy. Edward had his own astronomical instruments which are described. King Edward VI's Defence of Astronomy.
- An Heavenly Mathematics: Cultural Astronomy www
An interdisciplinary course on cultural astronomy. Heavenly Mathematics: Cultural Astronomy.
- Yahoo Historiacoelestis www
Yahoo group moderated by Stuart Williams, Historiacoelestis, F.R.A.S. Historiacoelestis.
- The The Manchester Astronomical Society History www
The first hundred years, Manchester Astronomical Society History, list of presidents, list of archived documents. The Manchester Astronomical Society History.
- Exhibition Out of This World www
Exhibition catalog for The Golden Age of the Celestial Atlas. This World. Includes an historical essay and sample pictures. Out of This World.
- Historical Astronomy in Japan www
Historical and modern Japanese astronomy, Japan, and its place in Japanese culture Astronomy in Japan.
- Celestial Tycho's Star Maps www
Celestial atlases and globes on exhibit at the Royal Observatory, Star Maps, Greenwich. Tycho's Star Maps.
- Article Understanding Tidal Friction www
Article by Peter Brosche on gaining understanding of changes in the Moon's orbit. Understanding Tidal Friction.
- The The Àryabhatíya of Àryabhata www
The oldest exact astronomic constant? The ratio of earth rotations to lunar orbits in Aryabhata's AD 498 writing. The Àryabhatíya of Àryabhata.
- World The Cosmic Elk www
World history of astronomy and timekeeping with updates, Cosmic Elk, and origins, based on original sources and places where possible. The Cosmic Elk.
- The Russell A. Hulse - Nobel Lecture www
The discovery of the binary pulsar. Russell A. Hulse - Nobel Lecture.
- Archive HASTRO-L www
Archive of the History of Astronomy Discussion Group, HASTRO-L, the mailing list for scholars in this field. HASTRO-L.
- Covers Gene Smith's Brief History of Astronomy www
Covers the development of this ancient science from days of Stonehenge (3100 BC) to the discovery of Pulsars (1968 AD). Smith's Brief History of Astronomy. Includes related resource links. Gene Smith's Brief History of Astronomy.
- An Hindu Cosmological Time Cycles www
An accurate calendar and the progenitor of the sexagesimal (base 60) "degree, Cosmological Time Cycles, minutes, seconds" measurement system. Hindu Cosmological Time Cycles.
- An History of SETI www
An overview of the history of the search for extraterrestrial intelligence using radio frequencies. SETI. Includes photos. History of SETI.
- Complete Electronic Newsletter for the History of Astronomy www
Complete archive and subscription information. Electronic Newsletter for the History of Astronomy.
- A Ancient Tomb Captured Both Sun and Moon www
A unique prehistoric tomb in Ireland has been revealed to align to both the midsummer Sun and the midwinter Moon. Tomb Captured Both Sun and Moon. BBC article Ancient Tomb Captured Both Sun and Moon.
- Introduction Indiana Jones and the Astronomers of Yore www
Introduction to basic archaeoastronomical concepts with examples from across the world. Indiana Jones and the Astronomers of Yore.
- Excerpt The Transit of Venus & The Quest For The Solar Parallax www
Excerpt of a book by David Sellers (Leeds, Transit of Venus & The Quest For The Solar Parallax, England). Covers the history of trying to find the Earth-Sun distance and how planetary transits played a part in that. The Transit of Venus & The Quest For The Solar Parallax.
- From Lecture 26: How Far the Sun? www
From an introductory astronomy course, 26: How Far the Sun?, describes expeditions which observed the 18th century transits. Lecture 26: How Far the Sun?.
- Offers The National Schools Observatory www
Offers access to professional telescopes worldwide for observations made by school children and teachers. The National Schools Observatory.
- Yearly SAAS-FEE www
Yearly courses for post-graduate students that are offered by the Swiss Society of Astrophysics and Astronomy. SAAS-FEE. Page includes course topic, list of professors and venues. SAAS-FEE.
- Elsevier Historia Mathematica www
Elsevier journal about early mathematical discoveries. Mathematica. Includes table of contents and abstracts. Historia Mathematica.
- Discusses India's Contribution to Ancient Mathematics www
Discusses the nation's early development of geometric concepts, Contribution to Ancient Mathematics, algorithms, algebraic ideas and the idea of zero. Also, explains how these ideas may have traveled westward after some invasions from Arabic countries in the 13th century. India's Contribution to Ancient Mathematics.
- This Atomic Archive www
This site explores the complex history surrounding the invention of the atomic bomb Atomic Archive.
- Descriptions Contributions of 20th Century Women to Physics (CWP) www
Descriptions of important contributions to science made by 83 women in the 20th century. 20th Century Women to Physics (CWP). Contributions of 20th Century Women to Physics (CWP).
- Solar Churches as Scientific Instruments www
Solar observatories built into 17th and 18th century cathedrals. Churches as Scientific Instruments.
- Exhibition The 28-inch Photo-visual Refractor www
Exhibition from the Royal Observatory, 28-inch Photo-visual Refractor, Greenwich, that explains the history of this telescope via words and archive photographs. The 28-inch Photo-visual Refractor.
- General Astronomy Education and Outreach www
General astronomy tutorial, Education and Outreach, education links, web courses, documents at the UCSD Center for Astrophysics and Space Sciences. Astronomy Education and Outreach.
- Contains An Atlas of the Universe www
Contains 3D maps of the universe zooming out from the nearest stars to the scale of the galaxy and out to the surrounding superclusters and finally to the scale of the known universe. An Atlas of the Universe.
- Alexa: History Astronomy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: History Astronomy
- DMOZ: History Astronomy
dmoz.org Directory: History Astronomy