The best-known member of the Raphidae was Raphus cucullatus, commonly known as the dodo, an extinct species of flightless bird. The dodo was discovered on the island of Mauritius in 1584, and was extinct around 1681. Raphidae Columbiformes Aves Chordata Animalia Flora and Fauna Biology Science.
The Raphinae are a clade of extinct flightless birds formerly called didines or didine birds. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: The Raphinae are a clade of extinct flightless birds formerly called didines or didine birds. They inhabited the Mascarene Islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues, but became extinct through hunting by humans and predation by introduced non-native mammals following human colonisation in the 17th century. Historically, many different groups have been named for both the dodo and the Rodrigues solitaire, not all grouping them together. Most recently, it is considered that the two birds can be classified in Columbidae, often under the subfamily Raphinae. The first person to suggest a close affinity to the doves was Johannes Theodor Reinhardt, whose opinions were then supported by Hugh Edwin Strickland and Alexander Gordon Melville.
- Raphinae Category
- Fauna of the Mascarene Islands
- Higher-level bird taxa restricted to the Malagasy region
- Bird subfamilies
- Extinct flightless birds
- A The Dodo Blog www
A weblog about dodos and their influence in modern culture. Dodo Blog. Images of dodos, research news, scientific information, and curiosities. The Dodo Blog.
- Description Rodrigues Solitaire (Pezophaps solitaria) www
Description and illustrations of this extinct relative of the dodo from the island of Rodrigues, Solitaire (Pezophaps solitaria), Mauritius. Rodrigues Solitaire (Pezophaps solitaria).
- Information Dodo www
Information from Wikipedia including evolution, Dodo, morphology, scientific classification and cause of extinction. Includes an illustration. Dodo.
- David The Tragedy of the Dodo www
David Reilly provides information on this extinct flightless bird, Tragedy of the Dodo, its anatomy and environmental impact. Includes illustrations, links and books. The Tragedy of the Dodo.
- Describes Raphus cucullatus (Dodo Bird) www
Describes the biology, cucullatus (Dodo Bird), geographic occurrence, scientific classification, and brief history of this extinct bird. Includes an illustration. Raphus cucullatus (Dodo Bird).
- Alexa: Raphidae Columbiformes
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Raphidae Columbiformes
- DMOZ: Raphidae Columbiformes
dmoz.org Directory: Raphidae Columbiformes