Theoretical biology attempts to explain the biological world using mainly mathematical and computational tools. Though ultimately based on observations and experimental results, the theoretical biologist's product is a model or theory. Theoretical Biology Biology Science.
Mathematical and theoretical biology is an interdisciplinary scientific research field with a range of applications in biology, biotechnology, and medicine. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Mathematical and theoretical biology is an interdisciplinary scientific research field with a range of applications. The field is sometimes called mathematical biology or biomathematics to stress the mathematical side, or theoretical biology to stress the biological side. Theoretical biology focuses more on the development of theoretical principles for biology while mathematical biology focuses on the use of mathematical tools to study biological systems, even though the two terms are sometimes interchanged. Mathematical biology aims at the mathematical representation, treatment and modeling of biological processes, using techniques and tools of applied mathematics. It has both theoretical and practical applications in biological, biomedical and biotechnology research. Describing systems in a quantitative manner means their behavior can be better simulated, and hence properties can be predicted that might not be evident to the experimenter. This requires precise mathematical models.
- Mathematical and theoretical biology Category
- Artificial life - Artificial life is a field of study wherein researchers examine systems related to natural life, its processes, and its evolution, through the use of simulations with computer models, robotics, and biochemistry.
- Bio-inspired computing - Bio-inspired computing, short for biologically inspired computing, is a field of study that loosely knits together subfields related to the topics of connectionism, social behaviour and emergence.
- Biological applications of bifurcation theory - Biological applications of bifurcation theory provide a framework for understanding the behavior of biological networks modeled as dynamical systems.
- Biosemiotics - Biosemiotics is a field of semiotics and biology that studies the prelinguistic meaning-making, or production and interpretation of signs and codes in the biological realm.
- Biostatistics - Biostatistics is the application of statistics to a wide range of topics in biology.
- Cellular automaton - A cellular automaton is a discrete model studied in computer science, mathematics, physics, complexity science, theoretical biology and microstructure modeling.
- Three Short Courses on the Mathematics of Biological Complexity www
Three short courses will be held at the University of Tennessee to give biologists a rapid introduction to the mathematical and computational topics appropriate for understanding current research in biological complexity. Short Courses on the Mathematics of Biological Complexity.
- Blog VackvSuG www
Blog for researchers interested in systems biology domains and system factors and mechanisms and in particular, VackvSuG, bioinformatic annotation. VackvSuG.
- Home Claus Emmeche www
Home page of a theoretical biologist with general interests in Philosophy of Nature, Emmeche, Philosophy of Science, and Science Studies, and research interests in artificial life and theoretical biology. Links to online papers, other resources, and to the Center for the Philosophy of Nature and Science Studies. Claus Emmeche.
- Philosophical Random Variations to Biological Choice www
Philosophical speculations on physics and biology. Random Variations to Biological Choice.
- Department University of Vienna www
Department of Theoretical Biology. Vienna. Staff, research projects and resources. University of Vienna.
- Research Honig Lab at Columbia University www
Research combines computational biophysics and bioinformatics to aid in understanding the structural, Lab at Columbia University, physical, and chemical basis of a wide range of biological phenomena, with a focus on protein structure and function. Includes publications list and information on software developed by the group. Honig Lab at Columbia University.
- The Molecular Information Theory www
The theory of molecular machines from the NIH Laboratory of Computational and Experimental Biology. Molecular Information Theory.
- The Theoretical Biology and Biophysics (T-10) www
The Theoretical Biology and Biophysics Group (T-10) at Los Alamos National Laboratory focuses on the modeling of biological systems and the analysis and informatics of molecular and cellular biological data. Biology and Biophysics (T-10). Theoretical Biology and Biophysics (T-10).
- Department Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam www
Department of Theoretical Biology. Universiteit Amsterdam. A do-it-yourself online course in 'methods in theoretical biology' and yearly organised online courses on the Dynamic Energy Budget (DEB) theory of the development and growth of organisms. Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- Focuses Theoretical Biology Groningen www
Focuses on competition and natural selection, Biology Groningen, more specifically evolutionary game theory, life history theory, sexual selection, sex allocation, metapopulation genetics, resource competition, and interference competition. Theoretical Biology Groningen.
- Department University of Lund www
Department of Theoretical Ecology. Lund. Members, teaching and research. University of Lund.
- Article Immunoligical Identification of Gut Pathogens and Commensals www
Article discussing how the lining of the gut distinguishes harmful from beneficial gut microbes in a nonmolecular way by detecting how they interact with the epithelium. Immunoligical Identification of Gut Pathogens and Commensals.
- Formal Theoretical Biology at Utrecht University, Netherlands www
Formal models in ecology, Biology at Utrecht University, Netherlands, spatial pattern formation, (molecular) evolution, immunology, and ethology. Formalisms range from mathematical models, cellular automata, genetic algorithms, to discrete-event individual-oriented simulation models. Bioinformatic approach typically involves spatial, multi-leveled models with many interacting entities whose behavior is determined by local information. Theoretical Biology at Utrecht University, Netherlands.
- Exploring Navier-Stalks www
Exploring the wonderful world of systems biology research through the eyes of an outsider. Navier-Stalks.
- Vigen Theory of Asynchronous Evolution www
Vigen A. Asynchronous Evolution. Geodakian puts forward his theory which contradicts Darwin’s theory of sexual selection and explains and predicts sexual dimorphism. Theory of Asynchronous Evolution.
- Theoretical Savillo, Isidro T. www
Theoretical biologist, Isidro T., here introducing some basic concepts in molecular and cell biology and challenging various well known biological theories, principles or beliefs. Savillo, Isidro T..
- Home David Liley www
Home page of a theoretical neurobiologist at Swinburne University of Technology. Liley. Papers on theoretical models of the mammalian electroencephalogram and related lecture notes (medical imaging, physiological modeling). David Liley.
- Carries Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology: Princeton University www
Carries out research in a range of areas including molecular evolution, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology: Princeton University, behavioural ecology, the dynamics of communities and populations, and conservation biology. Includes details of graduate and undergraduate programs. Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology: Princeton University.
- Homepage Dr. Till Bretschneider www
Homepage of Dr. Till Bretschneider. Bretschneider, researcher in the field of theoretical biology. It includes research activities and publications. Dr. Till Bretschneider.
- Guidance Careers in Theoretical Biology www
Guidance brochure for high school and undergraduate students. Theoretical Biology. Defines theoretical biology, gives examples of its application, and provides advice on preparing for a career in the field. Careers in Theoretical Biology.
- The Theoretical Biology of Systems www
The research group of Athel Cornish-Bowden are interested in the definition of life, Biology of Systems, especially in relation to the (M,R) systems of Robert Rosen, and also in metabolic regulation and control. Theoretical Biology of Systems.
- Information Netherlands Society for Theoretical Biology www
Information about the NVTB; abstracts of annual NVTB meetings; many theoretical biology links; conference calendar; journal finder. Netherlands Society for Theoretical Biology.
- Provides Biomag: Biomagnetic Wiki and Forum www
Provides access to documentation and community developed code as well as community discussion relating to magnetoencephalography, Biomagnetic Wiki and Forum, electroencephalography and other neuroimaging topics. Biomag: Biomagnetic Wiki and Forum.
- Lists Physiology and Biophysics www
Lists higher education, and Biophysics, association and resource links within the field. A part of Cornell University's World Wide Web Virtual Library. Physiology and Biophysics.
- Repository COGPRINTS: Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive www
Repository of freely available preprint and reprint papers, Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive, submitted by authors. COGPRINTS: Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive.
- Links Facial Expression Resources on the Web www
Links to resources for research on facial expressions. Facial Expression Resources on the Web.
- A Cybernetics www
A glossary and definitions (including web links) for cybernetics at the Open Site Encyclopedia Project. Cybernetics.
- Blog Cybernetics www
Blog providing an introduction to cybernetics which is the interdisciplinary study of the structure of regulatory systems and is closely related to control theory and systems theory. Cybernetics.
- Archives Ecolog-L www
Archives and subscription management for the Ecological Society of America's e-mail group for ecology news, Ecolog-L, jobs postings, and discussion. Ecolog-L.
- Short Ecology Tutorial www
Short introduction to the science of ecology, Tutorial, including terminology. Ecology Tutorial.
- This Evolution of Evolvability www
This paper shows how evolution tunes the content and frequency of genetic variation to enhance its evolvability, Evolvability, organising genetic systems into hierarchies. Genetic evolution is neither random nor blind. Evolution of Evolvability.
- Review Scientific American: 15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense www
Review and critique of popular arguments against the theory of evolution by natural selection. Scientific American: 15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense.
- Alexa: Theoretical Biology Biology
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Theoretical Biology Biology
- DMOZ: Theoretical Biology Biology
dmoz.org Directory: Theoretical Biology Biology