Rocks and Minerals includes the scientific studies of mineralogy and petrology. The section also includes web sites devoted to the appreciation, acquisition, and collecting of precious stones, including rockhounding. Rocks and Minerals Geology Earth Sciences Science.
In geology, rock or stone is a naturally occurring solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Rock or stone is a natural substance, a solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids. For example, granite, a common rock, is a combination of the minerals quartz, feldspar and biotite. The Earth's outer solid layer, the lithosphere, is made of rock. Rock has been used by humankind throughout history. The minerals and metals in rocks have been essential to human civilization. Three major groups of rocks are defined: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. The scientific study of rocks is called petrology, which is an essential component of geology.
- Geology - Geology is an earth science concerned with the solid Earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the processes by which they change over time. Geology can also refer to the study of the solid features of any terrestrial planet or natural satellite,.
- History of Earth - The history of Earth concerns the development of planet Earth from its formation to the present day. Nearly all branches of natural science have contributed to the understanding of the main events of Earth's past. The age of the Earth is approximately one-third of the age of the universe.
- Geologic time scale - The geologic time scale is a system of chronological dating that relates geological strata to time, and is used by geologists, paleontologists, and other Earth scientists to describe the timing and relationships of events that have occurred during Earth's history.
- Geomorphology - Geomorphology is the scientific study of the origin and evolution of topographic and bathymetric features created by physical, chemical or biological processes operating at or near the Earth's surface.
- Stone industry - Stone industry refers to the part of the primary sector of the economy, similar to the mining industry, but concerned with excavations of stones, in particular granite, marble, slate and sandstone. Other products of the industry include crushed stone and dimension stone.
- Contains The Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference www
Contains over 100 pictures of minerals, Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference, rocks and fossils, as well as information about classification, identification, the Science Olympiad Rocks and Minerals event and related topics. The Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference.
- Click Minerals of the United States www
Click on the map to view pictures of minerals found in the chosen state. Minerals of the United States.
- Provides Gemology & Gem Identification www
Provides information on becoming a gemologist. & Gem Identification. Offers testing equipment, books, tutorials and courses. Gemology & Gem Identification.
- GeMin GeMin Exhibition www
GeMin exhibition and online copipes of the Oryktologia NEA news. GeMin Exhibition.
- high-resolution YupRocks www
high-resolution pictures of rocks and minerals, YupRocks, taken from personal collections, as well as the Calvin College Geology Department, Michigan, USA. YupRocks.
- Gateway Eastern (USA) Minerals Resources www
Gateway to information on minerals and mineral resources research in the eastern United States. (USA) Minerals Resources. Eastern (USA) Minerals Resources.
- Professor Rakovan, John www
Professor in the Department of Geology at Miami University, John, Oxford, OH. Includes information on Dr. Rakovan's research and teaching in mineralogy and geochemistry. Rakovan, John.
- National United States Polar Rock Repository www
National facility at the Byrd Polar Research Center housing rock samples from Antarctica and the Arctic available for research, States Polar Rock Repository, education or museum use. United States Polar Rock Repository.
- USGS Collecting Rocks www
USGS information on collecting rocks. Collecting Rocks.
- Pictures, Perlite www
Pictures, Perlite, links, and a brief description of the properties and applications of this siliceous rock. Perlite.
- Specialist Northwest Treasures www
Specialist in personally collected and crafted thundereggs, Treasures, geology specimen kits, unique gifts, display pieces, and educational materials for the young scientist. Northwest Treasures.
- Information Gateway to Jade Information www
Information on jade. Jade Information. Covers the origin of jade, the history of jade, and the qualities associated with jade. Gateway to Jade Information.
- Articles, Minéral webzine www
Articles, webzine, photographies, bibliographie et sélection de logiciels pour collectionneurs. Bilingue Fr/En. Minéral webzine.
- Sommaire Le règne minéral, revue française de minéralogie www
Sommaire du numéro en cours, règne minéral, revue française de minéralogie, index des anciens numéros et photographies de minéraux, ventes de livres et de publications diverses. Le règne minéral, revue française de minéralogie.
- A Bluechart www
A gem identification chart. Bluechart.
- Pictures Smithsonian Gem & Mineral Collection www
Pictures and short descriptions of gems and minerals on display at the Smithsonian. Smithsonian Gem & Mineral Collection.
- Page Greg Finn, Brock University www
Page with links to course summaries for Petrology and Petrography, Finn, Brock University, and related coursework. Greg Finn, Brock University.
- This Rob's Granite Page www
This site is devoted to granite petrology with an emphasis on the Llano Uplift granites of central Texas. Granite Page. Also includes links to research, meetings and other scientists. Rob's Granite Page.
- Paper Metalliferous Environments of Nova Scotia - Base Metals www
Paper by James M. Environments of Nova Scotia - Base Metals. Patterson (1993) describes the geologic occurrence and extraction history of metallic ore deposits in Nova Scotia, Canada. These include volcanogenic, carbonate-hosted, and sandstone-hosted deposits plus deposits associated with granite intrusions. Metalliferous Environments of Nova Scotia - Base Metals.
- Assayer Reed Laboratories www
Assayer services for gold, Laboratories, silver, and other metals, primarily for mineral prospecting and exploration. Reed Laboratories.
- Annotated DJW's Metamorphic Petrology www
Annotated links to material about metamorphic rocks, Metamorphic Petrology, migmatites and granitoid rocks, and related areas of "hard-rock" geology. DJW's Metamorphic Petrology.
- Information GeoSmitty's Geology and Outdoor Pages www
Information about geology, Geology and Outdoor Pages, geocaching and other outdoor adventures. GeoSmitty's Geology and Outdoor Pages.
- Listing Walter Geology Library www
Listing of virtual and on-line geologic field trip guidebooks. Walter Geology Library.
- Alexa: Rocks and Minerals Geology
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Rocks and Minerals Geology
- DMOZ: Rocks and Minerals Geology
dmoz.org Directory: Rocks and Minerals Geology