Rocks and Minerals includes the scientific studies of mineralogy and petrology. The section also includes web sites devoted to the appreciation, acquisition, and collecting of precious stones, including rockhounding. Rocks and Minerals Geology Earth Sciences Science.
In geology, rock or stone is a naturally occurring solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Rock or stone is a natural substance, a solid aggregate of one or more minerals or mineraloids. For example, granite, a common rock, is a combination of the minerals quartz, feldspar and biotite. The Earth's outer solid layer, the lithosphere, is made of rock.
- Geology - Geology is an earth science concerned with the solid Earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the processes by which they change over time. Geology can also refer to the study of the solid features of any terrestrial planet or natural satellite,.
- History of Earth - The history of Earth concerns the development of planet Earth from its formation to the present day. Nearly all branches of natural science have contributed to understanding of the main events of Earth's past, characterized by constant geological change and biological evolution.
- Geologic time scale - The geologic time scale is a system of chronological dating that relates geological strata to time. It is used by geologists, paleontologists, and other Earth scientists to describe the timing and relationships of events that have occurred during Earth's history.
- Geomorphology - Geomorphology is the scientific study of the origin and evolution of topographic and bathymetric features created by physical, chemical or biological processes operating at or near the Earth's surface.
- Stone industry - Stone industry refers to the part of the primary sector of the economy, similar to the mining industry, but concerned with excavations of stones, in particular granite, marble, slate and sandstone. Other products of the industry include crushed stone and dimension stone.
- Professor Rakovan, John www
Professor in the Department of Geology at Miami University, John, Oxford, OH. Includes information on Dr. Rakovan's research and teaching in mineralogy and geochemistry. Rakovan, John.
- high-resolution YupRocks www
high-resolution pictures of rocks and minerals, YupRocks, taken from personal collections, as well as the Calvin College Geology Department, Michigan, USA. YupRocks.
- Provides Gemology & Gem Identification www
Provides information on becoming a gemologist. & Gem Identification. Offers testing equipment, books, tutorials and courses. Gemology & Gem Identification.
- Click Minerals of the United States www
Click on the map to view pictures of minerals found in the chosen state. Minerals of the United States.
- Gateway Eastern (USA) Minerals Resources www
Gateway to information on minerals and mineral resources research in the eastern United States. (USA) Minerals Resources. Eastern (USA) Minerals Resources.
- Pictures, Perlite www
Pictures, Perlite, links, and a brief description of the properties and applications of this siliceous rock. Perlite.
- National United States Polar Rock Repository www
National facility at the Byrd Polar Research Center housing rock samples from Antarctica and the Arctic available for research, States Polar Rock Repository, education or museum use. United States Polar Rock Repository.
- Contains The Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference www
Contains over 100 pictures of minerals, Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference, rocks and fossils, as well as information about classification, identification, the Science Olympiad Rocks and Minerals event and related topics. The Rock, Mineral, and Fossil Reference.
- USGS Collecting Rocks www
USGS information on collecting rocks. Collecting Rocks.
- GeMin GeMin Exhibition www
GeMin exhibition and online copipes of the Oryktologia NEA news. GeMin Exhibition.
- About Rocks For Kids www
About Rocks and Minerals written for kids with Links to kid-friendly rock information on the Web. Rocks For Kids.
- Information British Geological Survey Education Pages www
Information on geological topics aimed at schools and the general public. British Geological Survey Education Pages.
- Histoire, Pierres précieuses www
Histoire, précieuses, typologie, techniques de taille, propriétés physiques, systèmes cristalins, liens et glossaire. Pierres précieuses.
- Ce Voillot, Patrick www
Ce diplômé de gemmologie et spécialiste des pierres précieuses et fines présente ses ouvrages et les documentaires qu'il a réalisés. Voillot, Patrick.
- Caribbean Caribbean Gemological Institute www
Caribbean jewelers organization includes jewelry, Gemological Institute, shopping and travel tips.. Caribbean Gemological Institute.
- Software Gemology Tools www
Software for the professional gemologist or gemology student/enthusiast. Gemology Tools.
- Page Greg Finn, Brock University www
Page with links to course summaries for Petrology and Petrography, Finn, Brock University, and related coursework. Greg Finn, Brock University.
- Offers Northwest Obsidian Research Lab www
Offers a variety of analytical services related to obsidian trace element characterization ("sourcing") studies, Obsidian Research Lab, obsidian hydration studies, and obsidian source studies, primarily in the context of archaeological research. Northwest Obsidian Research Lab.
- Detailed Ore Deposits www
Detailed lecture notes from David Jessey's course at Cal State Pomona. Deposits. Topics include morphology, ore textures, geothermometry, theories of genesis, ore deposit classification, and various specific types of deposits. Ore Deposits.
- Information Current World Mining and Development Projects www
Information on metallic and nonmetallic mining projects around the world, World Mining and Development Projects, from exploration to recovery and processing. Featured projects include Bingham Canyon, Carlin Trend, Minera Yanacocha and Robinson. Current World Mining and Development Projects.
- Annotated DJW's Metamorphic Petrology www
Annotated links to material about metamorphic rocks, Metamorphic Petrology, migmatites and granitoid rocks, and related areas of "hard-rock" geology. DJW's Metamorphic Petrology.
- Geologic Geoscapes Photography www
Geologic and natural history landscape photography of the western United States and Pacific islands. Geoscapes Photography.
- American Earth Science World www
American Geological Institute resources for teachers and students. Science World. Includes searchable database of earth images, geologic time scale, and interactive features. Earth Science World.
- Alexa: Rocks and Minerals Geology
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Rocks and Minerals Geology
- DMOZ: Rocks and Minerals Geology
dmoz.org Directory: Rocks and Minerals Geology