Exploring the interaction between the natural sciences and theology, across the world's religions. The purpose of this section is not to present any particular view, but to provide access to information and diverse views on this subject. Science and Religion Science in Society Science.
Science acknowledges reason, empiricism, and evidence, while religions include revelation, faith and sacredness whilst also acknowledging philosophical and metaphysical explanations with regard to the study of the universe. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: The relationship between religion and science has been a subject of study since classical antiquity, addressed by philosophers, theologians, scientists, and others. Perspectives from different geographical regions, cultures and historical epochs are diverse, with some characterizing the relationship as one of conflict, others describing it as one of harmony, and others proposing little interaction.
- Conflict thesis - The "conflict thesis" is a historiographical approach in the history of science which maintains that there is an intrinsic intellectual conflict between religion and science and that the relationship between religion and science inevitably leads to public hostility.
- Continuity thesis - In the history of ideas, the continuity thesis is the hypothesis that there was no radical discontinuity between the intellectual development of the Middle Ages and the developments in the Renaissance and early modern period.
- Deep ecology - Deep ecology is an ecological and environmental philosophy promoting the inherent worth of living beings regardless of their instrumental utility to human needs, plus a radical restructuring of modern human societies in accordance with such ideas.
- Demarcation problem - The demarcation problem in the philosophy of science is about how to distinguish between science and nonscience, including between science, pseudoscience, and other products of human activity, like art and literature, and beliefs.
- Faith and rationality - Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility. Rationality is based on reason or facts. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority.
- Issues in Science and Religion - Issues in Science and Religion is a book by Ian Barbour. A biography provided by the John Templeton Foundation and published by PBS online states this book "has been credited with literally creating the contemporary field of science and religion."
- History of religion
- History of science
- Philosophy of religion
- Religion and science
- Philosophy of science
- University Danish Science-Theology Forum www
University of Aarhus based organization promoting dialogue between theology and the natural sciences. Science-Theology Forum. Listing of events and full-text articles. [English and Danish] Danish Science-Theology Forum.
- Print Theology and Science www
Print and electronic journal of the CTNS. and Science. Includes editorial policy, call for papers, and instructions for authors. Theology and Science.
- PBS Faith and Reason www
PBS documentary about the interaction between science and religion, and Reason, both historically and today. Includes transcripts of interviews with scientists and theologians. Faith and Reason.
- Overview Conflicts Between Science and Religion www
Overview of several areas of controversy, Between Science and Religion, primarily involving Christian beliefs and Judeo-Christian traditions, from ReligiousTolerance.org. Conflicts Between Science and Religion.
- The Science and Religion Interaction in the 21st Century www
The European Research Network focuses on privileged subjects that encourage the interaction between science and theology and aims to increase social awareness of science/religion issues. Science and Religion Interaction in the 21st Century.
- Provides In Search of the Beginning www
Provides information on a book by Dean Davis examining naturalistic, Search of the Beginning, Hindu, Buddhist, New Age, and biblical cosmology. Also discusses geocentricity and six day creationism. In Search of the Beginning.
- Article Theology and Science Without Dualism www
Article by Elizabeth Newman, and Science Without Dualism, reprinted from the Winter 1997 (Vol 17:1) issue of the CTNS Bulletin. Theology and Science Without Dualism.
- Brief Religion and Ecology www
Brief introduction to ecotheology and short descriptions of the relationship between individual religions and the environment. Religion and Ecology.
- Articles Dimery.com www
Articles and book reviews and links, Dimery.com, looking at the engagement of science with religion, both historically and in the present. Concentrates primarily on Christianity but includes an article on science and Islam. Dimery.com.
- John The Story-of-Everything Place www
John Kotre discusses creation, Story-of-Everything Place, evolution, religion, science, our origin and destiny. The Story-of-Everything Place.
- International Science and the Spiritual Quest II www
International research program based at CTNS. and the Spiritual Quest II. Includes details of forthcoming symposia, profiles of participating academics, and articles from the media. Science and the Spiritual Quest II.
- Articles Science and Religion www
Articles and extracts of books relating to a wide variety of topics within science and religion, and Religion, including physics, the brain, belief in God, and religious experience. Science and Religion.
- The Templeton Prize www
The Templeton Prize for Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities is an annual award, Prize, usually announced in March of each year. Templeton Prize.
- Homepage Young, Matt www
Homepage of Professor of Physics at Colorado School of Mines. Matt. Includes several articles on how to be religious without believing in God. Young, Matt.
- Oxford Ian Ramsey Centre www
Oxford University-based interdisciplinary research centre for the study of religious beliefs in relation to the sciences and medicine. Ramsey Centre. Includes details of forthcoming seminars and workshops, and staff profiles. Ian Ramsey Centre.
- Book Random Designer www
Book about a new vision for God as Creator, Designer, using randomness, chaos and scientific principles. Random Designer.
- UK Science and Religion Forum www
UK based charity promoting discussion between scientific understanding and religious thought. and Religion Forum. Includes details of conferences, twice annual publication, and an annual report. Science and Religion Forum.
- A Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Spirituality and Religion www
A selection of articles that integrate these themes into a unified system that describes the multi-dimensional nature of man and the universe. Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Spirituality and Religion.
- Moderated Metanexus Institute www
Moderated discussion list and newsletter dedicated to promoting the constructive engagement of science and religion. Metanexus Institute.
- Book Kabbalah and Judaism www
Book by G Kantorovich explaining how, and Judaism, while studying the Kabalistic books, Zohar and Sefer Yezira, he discovered a correlation between religion and modern science. Kabbalah and Judaism.
- A Counterbalance Foundation www
A non-profit educational organization promoting new views on issues in the science and religion field, Foundation, such as the evolution/creation controversy and biomedical ethical challenges. Features an extensive collection of articles and streaming media. Counterbalance Foundation.
- Longstanding Institute on Religion in an Age of Science www
Longstanding interfaith group working for a dynamic and positive relationship between religion and science. Religion in an Age of Science. Includes newsletter, conference abstracts, and details of how to set up a local discussion group. Institute on Religion in an Age of Science.
- Funds John Templeton Foundation www
Funds research to encourage exploration of the moral and spiritual dimensions of the universe and of human potential. John Templeton Foundation.
- A Meta Reference Library www
A collection of topics, Reference Library, definitions, audio and video clips covering the constructive interaction of science, ethics, philosophy, and religion. Meta Reference Library.
- Chester Centre for Religion and the Biosciences www
Chester College (UK) based research center directed by Celia Deane-Drummond. for Religion and the Biosciences. Details of public lectures, profiles of staff, and submission information for the journal Ecotheology. Centre for Religion and the Biosciences.
- Promotes AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion www
Promotes knowledge about developments in science and technology within the religious community, Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion, and provides opportunities for dialogue between the scientific and religious communities on ethical and religious implications of scientific developments. AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion.
- Newsletter Zygon Center for Religion and Science www
Newsletter and articles, Center for Religion and Science, including several by Philip Hefner on human cloning. Zygon Center for Religion and Science.
- Print Zygon: Journal of Science and Religion www
Print and electronic journal. Journal of Science and Religion. Subscription information, contents, abstracts, and submission instructions. Zygon: Journal of Science and Religion.
- Collection Theology www
Collection of notes and essays attempting to restore theology to the mainstream of science by defending the notion that the Universe is divine. Theology.
- International 4th Day Alliance Creation Astronomy www
International community, Day Alliance Creation Astronomy, the members of which share a love for God, their Christian faith, the authority of the Bible and astronomy. 4th Day Alliance Creation Astronomy.
- Einstein's Einstein's on Science and Religion www
Einstein's writings and philosophy on God, Science and Religion, the cosmos, science, and religion. Einstein's on Science and Religion.
- Answers The Meaning of Life and Other Questions www
Answers some questions on theology and religion, Meaning of Life and Other Questions, biology and life, magic and physics. The Meaning of Life and Other Questions.
- Promoting Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences www
Promoting the creative mutual interaction between contemporary theology and the natural sciences. Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
- An Time and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics www
An invited talk at the Physics and Tibetan Buddhism Conference University of California, and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics, Santa Barbara in 1998. Time and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics.
- Fostering Mind and Life Institute www
Fostering creative dialogue and collaborative research between Buddhism and Western science, and Life Institute, including conferences between His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Western scientists. Mind and Life Institute.
- A Articles on the Bible and Science www
A collection of articles on creation, the Bible and Science, theistic evolution, the Flood, intelligent design, and other areas of Biblical and scientific study. Articles on the Bible and Science.
- Author Window View www
Author aims to build a holistic paradigm based on science and scripture. Window View.
- Personal God Cre8d Ministries www
Personal site that re-introduces the teaching of Creation and biblical history and overturns the teaching of evolution and secular humanism. Cre8d Ministries. It re-evaluates the science of evolution, the dating of the dinosaurs and the existence of Noah's Ark. God Cre8d Ministries.
- A Waving Not Drowning www
A collection of short essays, Not Drowning, several of which cover the relationship between science and religion, particularly the evolution vs. creationism debate. Waving Not Drowning.
- An Islamic Astronomy www
An article by Owen Gingerich, Astronomy, in Scientific American, on ancient astronomy preserved and improved in the Islamic empire. Islamic Astronomy.
- Extensive Muslim Scientists and Islamic Civilization www
Extensive information resource on Muslim contributions to science, Scientists and Islamic Civilization, mathematics, astronomy, and philosophy in the Middle Ages. Includes articles and biographies. Muslim Scientists and Islamic Civilization.
- A Torah & Science www
A collection of articles exploring the interplay between science and Judaism. Torah & Science.
- Presents Association of Orthodox Jewish Scientists www
Presents the principles of the organization to assist those who are involved in Torah and science from the clergy to the lay person to the professional scientist. Association of Orthodox Jewish Scientists.
- Etext Mysticism at the Dawn of the Modern Age www
Etext of the book by Rudolf Steiner. Mysticism at the Dawn of the Modern Age.
- Free Science Without Bounds: A Synthesis of Science, Religion and Mysticism www
Free ebook which describes a world view based on the insights of the mystics, Without Bounds: A Synthesis of Science, Religion and Mysticism, compatible with science's way of knowing. Science Without Bounds: A Synthesis of Science, Religion and Mysticism.
- Discussion American Physical Society Statements www
Discussion on ethics and values, Physical Society Statements, education, human rights, and national policy, from a physics perspective. American Physical Society Statements.
- Highlights AIP Physics Success Stories www
Highlights the important links between federal funding for basic and applied research and development and their economic benefits to society. AIP Physics Success Stories.
- Alexa: Science and Religion Science in Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Science and Religion Science in Society
- DMOZ: Science and Religion Science in Society
dmoz.org Directory: Science and Religion Science in Society