Exploring the interaction between the natural sciences and theology, across the world's religions. The purpose of this section is not to present any particular view, but to provide access to information and diverse views on this subject. Science and Religion Science in Society Science.
Science acknowledges reason, empiricism, and evidence, while religions include revelation, faith and sacredness whilst also acknowledging philosophical and metaphysical explanations with regard to the study of the universe. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: The relationship between religion and science has been a subject of study since classical antiquity, addressed by philosophers, theologians, scientists, and others. Perspectives from different geographical regions, cultures and historical epochs are diverse, with some characterizing the relationship as one of conflict, others describing it as one of harmony, and others proposing little interaction.
- Conflict thesis - The "conflict thesis" is a historiographical approach in the history of science which maintains that there is an intrinsic intellectual conflict between religion and science and that the relationship between religion and science inevitably leads to public hostility.
- Continuity thesis - In the history of ideas, the continuity thesis is the hypothesis that there was no radical discontinuity between the intellectual development of the Middle Ages and the developments in the Renaissance and early modern period.
- Deep ecology - Deep ecology is an ecological and environmental philosophy promoting the inherent worth of living beings regardless of their instrumental utility to human needs, plus a radical restructuring of modern human societies in accordance with such ideas.
- Demarcation problem - The demarcation problem in the philosophy of science is about how to distinguish between science and non-science, including between science, pseudoscience, and other products of human activity, like art and literature, and beliefs.
- Faith and rationality - Faith and rationality are two ideologies that exist in varying degrees of conflict or compatibility. Rationality is based on reason or facts. Faith is belief in inspiration, revelation, or authority.
- Issues in Science and Religion - Issues in Science and Religion is a book by Ian Barbour. A biography provided by the John Templeton Foundation and published by PBS online states this book "has been credited with literally creating the contemporary field of science and religion."
- History of religion
- History of science
- Philosophy of religion
- Religion and science
- Philosophy of science
- Print Zygon: Journal of Science and Religion www
Print and electronic journal. Journal of Science and Religion. Subscription information, contents, abstracts, and submission instructions. Zygon: Journal of Science and Religion.
- Promotes AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion www
Promotes knowledge about developments in science and technology within the religious community, Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion, and provides opportunities for dialogue between the scientific and religious communities on ethical and religious implications of scientific developments. AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion.
- UK Science and Religion Forum www
UK based charity promoting discussion between scientific understanding and religious thought. and Religion Forum. Includes details of conferences, twice annual publication, and an annual report. Science and Religion Forum.
- Provides In Search of the Beginning www
Provides information on a book by Dean Davis examining naturalistic, Search of the Beginning, Hindu, Buddhist, New Age, and biblical cosmology. Also discusses geocentricity and six day creationism. In Search of the Beginning.
- John The Story-of-Everything Place www
John Kotre discusses creation, Story-of-Everything Place, evolution, religion, science, our origin and destiny. The Story-of-Everything Place.
- Answers The Meaning of Life and Other Questions www
Answers some questions on theology and religion, Meaning of Life and Other Questions, biology and life, magic and physics. The Meaning of Life and Other Questions.
- Brief Religion and Ecology www
Brief introduction to ecotheology and short descriptions of the relationship between individual religions and the environment. Religion and Ecology.
- International 4th Day Alliance Creation Astronomy www
International community, Day Alliance Creation Astronomy, the members of which share a love for God, their Christian faith, the authority of the Bible and astronomy. 4th Day Alliance Creation Astronomy.
- Chester Centre for Religion and the Biosciences www
Chester College (UK) based research center directed by Celia Deane-Drummond. for Religion and the Biosciences. Details of public lectures, profiles of staff, and submission information for the journal Ecotheology. Centre for Religion and the Biosciences.
- The Templeton Prize www
The Templeton Prize for Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities is an annual award, Prize, usually announced in March of each year. Templeton Prize.
- A Counterbalance Foundation www
A non-profit educational organization promoting new views on issues in the science and religion field, Foundation, such as the evolution/creation controversy and biomedical ethical challenges. Features an extensive collection of articles and streaming media. Counterbalance Foundation.
- Einstein's Einstein's on Science and Religion www
Einstein's writings and philosophy on God, Science and Religion, the cosmos, science, and religion. Einstein's on Science and Religion.
- Overview Conflicts Between Science and Religion www
Overview of several areas of controversy, Between Science and Religion, primarily involving Christian beliefs and Judeo-Christian traditions, from ReligiousTolerance.org. Conflicts Between Science and Religion.
- A Meta Reference Library www
A collection of topics, Reference Library, definitions, audio and video clips covering the constructive interaction of science, ethics, philosophy, and religion. Meta Reference Library.
- Articles Dimery.com www
Articles and book reviews and links, Dimery.com, looking at the engagement of science with religion, both historically and in the present. Concentrates primarily on Christianity but includes an article on science and Islam. Dimery.com.
- Articles Science and Religion www
Articles and extracts of books relating to a wide variety of topics within science and religion, and Religion, including physics, the brain, belief in God, and religious experience. Science and Religion.
- Oxford Ian Ramsey Centre www
Oxford University-based interdisciplinary research centre for the study of religious beliefs in relation to the sciences and medicine. Ramsey Centre. Includes details of forthcoming seminars and workshops, and staff profiles. Ian Ramsey Centre.
- Funds John Templeton Foundation www
Funds research to encourage exploration of the moral and spiritual dimensions of the universe and of human potential. John Templeton Foundation.
- Homepage Young, Matt www
Homepage of Professor of Physics at Colorado School of Mines. Matt. Includes several articles on how to be religious without believing in God. Young, Matt.
- Print Theology and Science www
Print and electronic journal of the CTNS. and Science. Includes editorial policy, call for papers, and instructions for authors. Theology and Science.
- PBS Faith and Reason www
PBS documentary about the interaction between science and religion, and Reason, both historically and today. Includes transcripts of interviews with scientists and theologians. Faith and Reason.
- Longstanding Institute on Religion in an Age of Science www
Longstanding interfaith group working for a dynamic and positive relationship between religion and science. Religion in an Age of Science. Includes newsletter, conference abstracts, and details of how to set up a local discussion group. Institute on Religion in an Age of Science.
- International Science and the Spiritual Quest II www
International research program based at CTNS. and the Spiritual Quest II. Includes details of forthcoming symposia, profiles of participating academics, and articles from the media. Science and the Spiritual Quest II.
- Newsletter Zygon Center for Religion and Science www
Newsletter and articles, Center for Religion and Science, including several by Philip Hefner on human cloning. Zygon Center for Religion and Science.
- The Science and Religion Interaction in the 21st Century www
The European Research Network focuses on privileged subjects that encourage the interaction between science and theology and aims to increase social awareness of science/religion issues. Science and Religion Interaction in the 21st Century.
- University Danish Science-Theology Forum www
University of Aarhus based organization promoting dialogue between theology and the natural sciences. Science-Theology Forum. Listing of events and full-text articles. [English and Danish] Danish Science-Theology Forum.
- A Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Spirituality and Religion www
A selection of articles that integrate these themes into a unified system that describes the multi-dimensional nature of man and the universe. Science, Psychology, Philosophy, Spirituality and Religion.
- Collection Theology www
Collection of notes and essays attempting to restore theology to the mainstream of science by defending the notion that the Universe is divine. Theology.
- Promoting Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences www
Promoting the creative mutual interaction between contemporary theology and the natural sciences. Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences.
- Article Theology and Science Without Dualism www
Article by Elizabeth Newman, and Science Without Dualism, reprinted from the Winter 1997 (Vol 17:1) issue of the CTNS Bulletin. Theology and Science Without Dualism.
- Moderated Metanexus Institute www
Moderated discussion list and newsletter dedicated to promoting the constructive engagement of science and religion. Metanexus Institute.
- Book Kabbalah and Judaism www
Book by G Kantorovich explaining how, and Judaism, while studying the Kabalistic books, Zohar and Sefer Yezira, he discovered a correlation between religion and modern science. Kabbalah and Judaism.
- Book Random Designer www
Book about a new vision for God as Creator, Designer, using randomness, chaos and scientific principles. Random Designer.
- An Buddhism and the Brain www
An examination of the neuroscience behind Buddhist meditation and insight. and the Brain. Includes an introduction to the neuroscience necessary to understand the essay. Buddhism and the Brain.
- An Time and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics www
An invited talk at the Physics and Tibetan Buddhism Conference University of California, and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics, Santa Barbara in 1998. Time and Impermanence in Middle Way Buddhism and Modern Physics.
- Ancient Vatican Observatory www
Ancient astronomical research institution with dependent research center based in Tucson, Observatory, Arizona. Includes history, profiles of personnel, details of telescopes, and a streaming video on the relation of science and religion. Vatican Observatory.
- Educational John Ray Initiative www
Educational charity bringing together scientific and Christian understandings of the environment. Ray Initiative. Includes articles, reports from conferences, and a newsletter. John Ray Initiative.
- Provides An Agnostic's Brief Guide to the Universe www
Provides a discussion forum in relation to religion, Agnostic's Brief Guide to the Universe, atheism, creation and the origin of mankind. Are we here by accident or design? The agnostic will remain open to all possibilities. An Agnostic's Brief Guide to the Universe.
- Personal God Cre8d Ministries www
Personal site that re-introduces the teaching of Creation and biblical history and overturns the teaching of evolution and secular humanism. Cre8d Ministries. It re-evaluates the science of evolution, the dating of the dinosaurs and the existence of Noah's Ark. God Cre8d Ministries.
- A Islamic Organization for Medical Sciences www
A substantial collection of articles offering an Islamic perspective on science, Organization for Medical Sciences, medicine, medical ethics, health issues, the environment, and technology; also includes historical material and biographies. Islamic Organization for Medical Sciences.
- Information Islamic Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Studies www
Information about their vision, Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Studies, activities, publications, and events. [Based Birmingham, UK] Islamic Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Studies.
- Describes Tekhelet www
Describes in depth the blue dye of ritual fringes, Tekhelet, including modern physical evidence regarding source and production. Tekhelet.
- Additional The Heavenly Time Machine: Essays on Science and Torah www
Additional essays and lecture topics by the Morris Engelson and sale of his book "The Heavenly Time Machine: Essays on Science and Torah". The Heavenly Time Machine: Essays on Science and Torah.
- Articles Center for Integral Science www
Articles on science and religion by Thomas J. for Integral Science. McFarlane. Includes links to related sites. Center for Integral Science.
- History GHF www
History of Hermetic Philosophy and related currents studied at the University of Amsterdam (UVA). GHF. Information on the curriculum, news and activities and links. GHF.
- The House Science and Technology Committee www
The science committee in the 110th congress, Science and Technology Committee, chaired by Bart Gordon. House Science and Technology Committee.
- Provides Just Garcia Hill www
Provides a virtual community for minorities in science, Garcia Hill, aiming to increase the number entering science careers and celebrating contributions to science made by minority scientists. Just Garcia Hill.
- Alexa: Science and Religion Science in Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Science and Religion Science in Society
- DMOZ: Science and Religion Science in Society
dmoz.org Directory: Science and Religion Science in Society