The investigation of past cultures of the modern nationstate of Italy through the study and scientific analysis of material remains (i.e., osteological, artifactual, architectural, etc.). Italy Europe Regional Archaeology Social Sciences Science.
Coordinates: 43°N 12°E / 43°N 12°E / 43; 12 (wikipedia)
- Italy A unitary parliamentary republic in Europe. Located in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea...
- Kingdom of Italy A state which existed from 1861-when King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia was proclaimed King of...
- Kingdom of Italy (Napoleonic) A French client state founded in Northern Italy by Napoleon I, fully influenced by revolutionary...
- Italian Peninsula The Italian Peninsula or Apennine Peninsula extends from the Po Valley in the north to the...
- Roman Italy The name of the Italian Peninsula during the Roman era.
- Kingdom of Italy (Holy Roman Empire) The Kingdom of Italy was one of the constituent kingdoms of the Holy Roman Empire, along with the...
- Imperial Italy (fascist) An ambitious project envisioned by Fascist Italy.
- Air Italy Air Italy S.p.A. is an Italian airline headquartered in Milan.
- Italy Star A military campaign medal, instituted by the United Kingdom in May 1945 for award to subjects of...
- Italy, New York A town located in Yates County, New York, United States.
- Italy, Texas A town in Ellis County, Texas, United States.
- A Pompeii Interactive www
A CD-ROM exploring Pompeii with photographs, Interactive, virtual reality, maps, and information. Online preview includes the history of the discovery of Pompeii, with biographies of the archaeologists involved. Pompeii Interactive.
- From Ancient Carved 'Faces' Found www
From BBC, Carved 'Faces' Found, Italian scientist says he has found a carved stone head that is 200,000 years old. Ancient Carved 'Faces' Found.
- The The Troina Project www
The University of Cambridge is investigating the archaeological history of the Troina region in Sicily. Troina Project. The team, regional survey and analysis, excavations at Casa Sollima - a prehistoric house. The Troina Project.
- Excavations Horace's Villa Project www
Excavations undertaken there from 1997 to 2001. Villa Project. Videos and images. Horace's Villa Project.
- Capo Capo Alfiere www
Capo Alfiere is the name of a Neolithic site located on a small headland on the eastern coast of Calabria. Capo Alfiere.
- Official Soprintendenza Archeologica di Pompei www
Official site of the excavations of Pompeii, Archeologica di Pompei, Herculaneum, Boscoreale, Oplontis and Stabia (in English and Italian). Soprintendenza Archeologica di Pompei.
- Prof. Horace's Villa Project www
Prof. Villa Project. Bernard Frischer explains his excavations of the villa near Licenza thought to be that of the Roman poet Horace. Reports on each season's work, drawings and a virtual tour. Horace's Villa Project.
- Attempt Horace's Farmhouse Found Beneath Horace's villa Site www
Attempt to answer whether the Roman poet and the satirist Horace live in a modest farmhouse, Farmhouse Found Beneath Horace's villa Site, as he tells us in his writings, or in a 20,000-square-foot villa, which most archaeologists have attributed to him. Horace's Farmhouse Found Beneath Horace's villa Site.
- A Campanaio, Sicily: A Geophysical Survey 1995 www
A geophysical evaluation in southern Sicily by Bournemouth University to identify industrial activity in the Roman rural settlement. Campanaio, Sicily: A Geophysical Survey 1995.
- E-text A Study Of The Topography And Municipal History Of Praeneste www
E-text of 1908 book by Ralph Van Deman Magoffin on this member of the Latin League. A Study Of The Topography And Municipal History Of Praeneste.
- An The Roman Villa of Piazza Armerina, Sicily www
An illustrated room-by-room description by René Seindal of the villa with the richest collection of late Roman mosaics. Roman Villa of Piazza Armerina, Sicily. Includes bibliography, plan and more than 200 photographs. The Roman Villa of Piazza Armerina, Sicily.
- Official Capitolium www
Official website of the archaeological site of the Imperial Forums, Capitolium, Rome. Includes maps, a virtual tour, and information on life in ancient Rome. Capitolium.
- Alberto Roman gold mine of Bessa www
Alberto Vaudagna's description of the archaeology, gold mine of Bessa, history and geology of this area in Piedmont, with images and bibliography. Includes a 2nd century BCE gold mine and Protohistoric rock art. Roman gold mine of Bessa.
- Illustrated The Arch of Constantine www
Illustrated description of the arch which was erected to celebrate Constantine I's victory at the Milvian Bridge in 312 CE. Arch of Constantine. Includes bibliography and over 60 photographs. The Arch of Constantine.
- The Ostia Antica www
The harbor of the ancient Rome. Antica. Photos, story and links. Ostia Antica.
- Provides Death of the Iceman www
Provides documentary about Oetzi, the Iceman, the Iceman. Includes transcripts of BBC documentery. Death of the Iceman.
- Detailed The Capitoline Hill www
Detailed description of the history and monuments of the Capitoline Hill in antiquity, Capitoline Hill, from the Capitoline Museums. Includes maps and photographs. The Capitoline Hill.
- Paul Model of Rome www
Paul Bigot's zoomable scale model of ancient Rome, Rome, at the University of Caen in France, with descriptions of monuments. Model of Rome.
- Andrew Roman Water-Mills on the Janiculum Hill, Rome www
Andrew Wilson of Oxford University describes the excavation in 1998 of several mill-wheels installed in two mill-races parallel to the main channel of the Aqua Traiana. Roman Water-Mills on the Janiculum Hill, Rome.
- An A Cache of Vintage Ships www
An illustrated article by Andrew Slaymana in Archaeology on the ancient Roman ships unearthed at Pisa, Cache of Vintage Ships, Italy. A Cache of Vintage Ships.
- From Iceman's Final Meal www
From the BBC, Final Meal, the last two meals eaten by the 5,300-year-old iceman, dubbed Oetzi, have been revealed by scientists. Iceman's Final Meal.
- Archaeology Archeopollino www
Archaeology of the National Park of Pollino in Calabria, Archeopollino, Italy. Descriptions and photo galleries of Greek, Roman, Enotrian, Byzantine and Longobards sites. Archeopollino.
- An Pompeii Forum Project www
An archaeologically based research project that documents the design and decoration of the forum of Pompeii and addresses issues of urban history and design. Pompeii Forum Project.
- Provides Ostia - The Harbour of Ancient Rome www
Provides detailed information for professional archaeologists and historians, The Harbour of Ancient Rome, for students of Roman archaeology and history, and for interested lay-people. Maintained by the Internet Group Ostia (IGO). Ostia - The Harbour of Ancient Rome.
- Pictures Tyrol Museum of Archaeology www
Pictures and background material about Oetzi, Museum of Archaeology, the iceman, from the museum where he is exhibited. Tyrol Museum of Archaeology.
- Cities and Cemeteries of Etruria www
1848 volume by George Dennis. and Cemeteries of Etruria. The complete work online. 1165 pages, engravings, maps, and plans. Cities and Cemeteries of Etruria.
- From Pompei discovery for Swedish archeologists www
From The Local, discovery for Swedish archeologists, Swedish archeologists have discovered a Stone Age settlement covered in ash under the ruins of the ancient city of Pompei, indicating that the volcano Vesuvius engulfed the area in lava more than 3,500 years before the famous 79 AD eruption. Pompei discovery for Swedish archeologists.
- Promotes American Academy in Rome www
Promotes scholarship in all aspects of Italy's history and culture: classical studies, Academy in Rome, archaeology, art history, philology and humanistic studies. Includes details of excavation projects. American Academy in Rome.
- Recent Moore, James A. www
Recent publications and course offering of this City University of New York professor. James A.. Research interests include European prehistory, slavery, and architecture. Moore, James A..
- Curriculum Arnold, Bettina www
Curriculum vita of this University of Wisconsin Professor. Bettina. Primary areas of study are the Iron Age of southwest Germany, gender and the history of archaeology. Arnold, Bettina.
- David World of the Celts www
David Freeman takes an archaeological and historical look at the British Celts. the Celts. Illustrated text on weapons, round houses, clothing, art, artefacts. History, glossary and bibliography. World of the Celts.
- Guide Hollingbury Hillfort www
Guide to the archaeology of an Iron Age hillfort and Bronze Age burial ground near Brighton in the UK. Hillfort. Contains details of finds and landscape features, origins and prehistory of the site, and local resources. Hollingbury Hillfort.
- Provides Archaeosurvey www
Provides non-destructive geophysical surveys employing magnetometer, Archaeosurvey, resistivity and radar surveys in archaeological field evaluation. Archaeosurvey.
- An General Engineering: Galileo Siscam Technology www
An Italian company based in Florence offering geophysical surveys for archaeology and civil engineering, Engineering: Galileo Siscam Technology, monitoring of structure micro-shifts, databases, geographic information systems. Company profile, examples. General Engineering: Galileo Siscam Technology.
- Presents Mugello Valley Archaeological Project and Poggio Colla Field School www
Presents current information about the excavation project directed by P. Valley Archaeological Project and Poggio Colla Field School. Gregory Warden. Mugello Valley Archaeological Project and Poggio Colla Field School.
- Organization The Etruscan Foundation www
Organization for conservation and promotion of the natural and cultural heritage of Tuscany: includes activities, Etruscan Foundation, programs, publications, and membership information. The Etruscan Foundation.
- Seasons Mugello Valley Archaeological Project: Poggio Colla Field School www
Seasons in Etruscan archaeology run by the Southern Methodist University and University of Pennsylvania Museum. Mugello Valley Archaeological Project: Poggio Colla Field School.
- Volunteer Pompeii Food and Drink Project www
Volunteer fieldwork opportunity to research food and drink structures in Pompeii. Pompeii Food and Drink Project.
- Field Archaeology in Europe www
Field trips, Europe, study tours, archaeology courses, etc. Archaeology in Europe.
- An Bodies of the Bogs www
An illustrated feature from Archaeology on the remains of many hundreds of people which have come to light during peat cutting in northwestern Europe. Bodies of the Bogs.
- Alexa: Italy Europe
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Italy Europe
- DMOZ: Italy Europe
dmoz.org Directory: Italy Europe