Area Studies focus on the history, politics, economics, demographics, and geography of a given country or region (such as the Andes, South Pacific, or Central Asia). Area Studies also create profiles that can be used to predict or explain current events. Traditionally, they were data driven and often highly quantitative in nature. Relatively recently, many scholars in the field have embraced a more interpretive perspective and focus on more qualitative areas, including religion, literature, music, philosophy, and even art history. Area Studies have key differences with related Social Sciences. Ethnic Studies are written from the perspective of the group being studied. Area Studies Social Sciences Science.
Area studies are interdisciplinary fields of research and scholarship pertaining to particular geographical, national / federal, or cultural regions. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Area studies are interdisciplinary fields of research and scholarship pertaining to particular geographical, national/federal, or cultural regions. The term exists primarily as a general description for what are, in the practice of scholarship, many heterogeneous fields of research, encompassing both the social sciences and the humanities. Typical area study programs involve history, political science, sociology, cultural studies, languages, geography, literature, and related disciplines. In contrast to cultural studies, area studies often include diaspora and emigration from the area.
- Area studies Category
- Cultural studies - Cultural studies is a field of theoretically, politically, and empirically engaged cultural analysis that concentrates upon the political dynamics of contemporary culture, its historical foundations, defining traits, conflicts, and contingencies.
- IATIS - The International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies is a forum designed to enable scholars from different regional and disciplinary backgrounds to debate issues relating to translation and other forms of intercultural communication.
- International Studies - International Studies generally refers to the specific university degrees and courses which are concerned with the study of ?the major political, economic, social, and cultural issues that dominate the international agenda'.
- Library of Congress Country Studies - The Country Studies are works published by the Federal Research Division of the United States Library of Congress, freely available for use by researchers. No copyright is claimed on them.
- Regional science
- Cultural anthropology
- Creates Institute for Global Studies - University of Minnesota www
Creates curriculum and seminars to study global issues. for Global Studies - University of Minnesota. Page includes news, events and staff information. Institute for Global Studies - University of Minnesota.
- Interactive FedStats - International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics www
Interactive access to statistics and information produced by more than 100 U. International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics.S. Federal Government agencies. FedStats - International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics.
- Information Theodora.com - Countries of the World www
Information from the CIA World Fact Book (with 20 years of archives), Countries of the World, United Nations Statistical Office, Library of Congress Country Studies and other sources. Features calculated country ranks, maps, country and airport codes. Theodora.com - Countries of the World.
- Series Country Studies: Area Handbook Series www
Series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division sponsored by the Department of the Army. Studies: Area Handbook Series. This online series presently contains studies of 102 countries. Country Studies: Area Handbook Series.
- Lists CIA World Fact Book www
Lists population, World Fact Book, government, military, and economic information for nations recognized by the United States. CIA World Fact Book.
- Supports Institute for International, Comparative, and Area Studies www
Supports research for international and comparative subjects. for International, Comparative, and Area Studies. Includes list of current studies, events calendar and resources. Institute for International, Comparative, and Area Studies.
- Provides NationMaster.com www
Provides country and regional graphs and descriptive statistics based on geography, NationMaster.com, military, economy, crime, education, and transportation. NationMaster.com.
- Study Global Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences www
Study focus on globalization, Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences, international governance and cultural change. Degree program jointly run by universities in Freiburg, New Delhi, and Singapore. Global Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences.
- An Post-Colonial Studies www
An overview article that includes a discussion of important authors in the field. Post-Colonial Studies.
- Offers Aneki.com www
Offers country and regional profiles including maps, Aneki.com, information on literacy, GNP, poverty, and comparison rankings. Aneki.com.
- Gives UNICEF Countries www
Gives an overview of economics, Countries, politics, healthcare, nutrition and crimes rates occurring in nations around the world, especially as it affects children. UNICEF Countries.
- A Institute for Global Studies www
A research unit at Johns Hopkins University that specializes in the study of global power, for Global Studies, culture, and history. Features newsletter, calendar of events and program information. Institute for Global Studies.
- Network Culturelink Network www
Network of networks for research and cooperation in cultural development. Network. Features databank of regional policies, institutions, and resources; current publications and research; membership and participation information. Culturelink Network.
- Directory Countries Quest www
Directory features articles about different countries organized by continent and offers information on natural resources, Quest, people, arts, economy, government, and history. Countries Quest.
- Digital Aluka www
Digital library of scholarly resources. Aluka. Features information on botany, politics, history and cultural heritage sites. Aluka.
- Provides NISC South Africa www
Provides local and global information for Africa. NISC South Africa.
- An British Association for American Studies www
An organization for American Studies academics, Association for American Studies, teachers and students. British Association for American Studies.
- Promotes American Studies Association (ASA) www
Promotes and encourages the interdisciplinary study of American culture and history. Studies Association (ASA). Membership is open to all individuals and to cultural or educational institutions. American Studies Association (ASA).
- Feed Connotea: Anthropology www
Feed offers links to news, Anthropology, journal articles and Web sites. Connotea: Anthropology.
- Biological AnthroScape: Human Biodiversity Forum www
Biological and social anthropology forum exploring human variation and its impact on society. AnthroScape: Human Biodiversity Forum.
- Introduction, New England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies www
Introduction, England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, registration information, and call for paper and panel proposals. New England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies.
- Resources CoombsWeb www
Resources for Asian-Pacific research. CoombsWeb.
- Features Canadian Studies Center www
Features undergraduate, Studies Center, internship and exchange programs, resources, events, publications and links. Located at Michigan State University in Lansing, Michigan, USA. Canadian Studies Center.
- Provides School of Canadian Studies www
Provides undergraduate and graduate programs and courses, Canadian Studies, event and conference details, professor and staff listings, documents and forms as well as links. Located at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. School of Canadian Studies.
- Maintained Comparative Politics and Foreign Governments. www
Maintained by Emory University, Politics and Foreign Governments., Georgia. Includes description of the field, references and data resources. Comparative Politics and Foreign Governments..
- The Comparative Constitutions Project www
The intent of the project is to investigate the sources and consequences of constitutional choices. Constitutions Project. Includes faculty, news, publications and courses. Comparative Constitutions Project.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Area Studies Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Area Studies Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Area Studies Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Area Studies Social Sciences