Area Studies focus on the history, politics, economics, demographics, and geography of a given country or region (such as the Andes, South Pacific, or Central Asia). Area Studies also create profiles that can be used to predict or explain current events. Traditionally, they were data driven and often highly quantitative in nature. Relatively recently, many scholars in the field have embraced a more interpretive perspective and focus on more qualitative areas, including religion, literature, music, philosophy, and even art history. Area Studies have key differences with related Social Sciences. Ethnic Studies are written from the perspective of the group being studied. Area Studies Social Sciences Science.
Area studies are interdisciplinary fields of research and scholarship pertaining to particular geographical, national / federal, or cultural regions. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Area studies are interdisciplinary fields of research and scholarship pertaining to particular geographical, national/federal, or cultural regions. The term exists primarily as a general description for what are, in the practice of scholarship, many heterogeneous fields of research, encompassing both the social sciences and the humanities. Typical area study programs involve history, political science, sociology, cultural studies, languages, geography, literature, and related disciplines. In contrast to cultural studies, area studies often include diaspora and emigration from the area.
- Area studies Category
- Cultural studies - Cultural studies is a field of theoretically, politically, and empirically engaged cultural analysis that concentrates upon the political dynamics of contemporary culture, its historical foundations, defining traits, and conflicts.
- IATIS - The International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies is a forum designed to enable scholars from different regional and disciplinary backgrounds to debate issues relating to translation and other forms of intercultural communication.
- International Studies - International Studies generally refers to the specific university degrees and courses which are concerned with the study of ?the major political, economic, social, and cultural issues that dominate the international agenda'.
- Library of Congress Country Studies - The Country Studies are works published by the Federal Research Division of the United States Library of Congress, freely available for use by researchers. No copyright is claimed on them.
- Regional science
- Cultural anthropology
- Provides NationMaster.com www
Provides country and regional graphs and descriptive statistics based on geography, NationMaster.com, military, economy, crime, education, and transportation. NationMaster.com.
- Gives UNICEF Countries www
Gives an overview of economics, Countries, politics, healthcare, nutrition and crimes rates occurring in nations around the world, especially as it affects children. UNICEF Countries.
- Information Theodora.com - Countries of the World www
Information from the CIA World Fact Book (with 20 years of archives), Countries of the World, United Nations Statistical Office, Library of Congress Country Studies and other sources. Features calculated country ranks, maps, country and airport codes. Theodora.com - Countries of the World.
- Series Country Studies: Area Handbook Series www
Series of books prepared by the Federal Research Division sponsored by the Department of the Army. Studies: Area Handbook Series. This online series presently contains studies of 102 countries. Country Studies: Area Handbook Series.
- Study Global Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences www
Study focus on globalization, Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences, international governance and cultural change. Degree program jointly run by universities in Freiburg, New Delhi, and Singapore. Global Studies Program - Masters in Social Sciences.
- An Post-Colonial Studies www
An overview article that includes a discussion of important authors in the field. Post-Colonial Studies.
- Lists CIA World Fact Book www
Lists population, World Fact Book, government, military, and economic information for nations recognized by the United States. CIA World Fact Book.
- Supports Institute for International, Comparative, and Area Studies www
Supports research for international and comparative subjects. for International, Comparative, and Area Studies. Includes list of current studies, events calendar and resources. Institute for International, Comparative, and Area Studies.
- Creates Institute for Global Studies - University of Minnesota www
Creates curriculum and seminars to study global issues. for Global Studies - University of Minnesota. Page includes news, events and staff information. Institute for Global Studies - University of Minnesota.
- Network Culturelink Network www
Network of networks for research and cooperation in cultural development. Network. Features databank of regional policies, institutions, and resources; current publications and research; membership and participation information. Culturelink Network.
- Offers Aneki.com www
Offers country and regional profiles including maps, Aneki.com, information on literacy, GNP, poverty, and comparison rankings. Aneki.com.
- A Institute for Global Studies www
A research unit at Johns Hopkins University that specializes in the study of global power, for Global Studies, culture, and history. Features newsletter, calendar of events and program information. Institute for Global Studies.
- Directory Countries Quest www
Directory features articles about different countries organized by continent and offers information on natural resources, Quest, people, arts, economy, government, and history. Countries Quest.
- Interactive FedStats - International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics www
Interactive access to statistics and information produced by more than 100 U. International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics.S. Federal Government agencies. FedStats - International, State, County, & Local Area Statistics.
- H-Net H-SAfrica: Southern African Studies www
H-Net discussion group dedicated to South and Southern Africa history and culture. Southern African Studies. Includes subject overview, links to related resources and lists, reviews, archive, and subscription details. H-SAfrica: Southern African Studies.
- French Africa Regional Services www
French program materials for American Cultural Centers throughout Africa. Africa Regional Services.
- Promotes American Studies Association (ASA) www
Promotes and encourages the interdisciplinary study of American culture and history. Studies Association (ASA). Membership is open to all individuals and to cultural or educational institutions. American Studies Association (ASA).
- An British Association for American Studies www
An organization for American Studies academics, Association for American Studies, teachers and students. British Association for American Studies.
- Lessons Anthropology Tutorials www
Lessons on various topics in cultural and physical anthropology. Tutorials. Includes glossaries, practice quizzes, and lists of related links. Anthropology Tutorials.
- Frequently FAQs for Sci.Anthropology www
Frequently asked questions for the Usenet newsgroup. for Sci.Anthropology. Offers basic information on the field. FAQs for Sci.Anthropology.
- Introduction, New England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies www
Introduction, England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, registration information, and call for paper and panel proposals. New England Conference of the Association for Asian Studies.
- Resources CoombsWeb www
Resources for Asian-Pacific research. CoombsWeb.
- Describes The McGill Institute for the Study of Canada www
Describes undergraduate programs and courses, McGill Institute for the Study of Canada, faculty and visitor listings, events, conferences, publications and links. Programs also offered in French. Located at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada The McGill Institute for the Study of Canada.
- Featuring Canadian Studies Program www
Featuring undergraduate and graduate programs and courses, Studies Program, news, events, conferences, exchange programs, scholarships and awards, committee members listing, links and contact details. Located at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Canadian Studies Program.
- Collaborative The Comparative Study of Electoral Systems www
Collaborative program of cross-national research among election study teams from around the world. Comparative Study of Electoral Systems. Shown are project profile, download data, resources and bibliography. The Comparative Study of Electoral Systems.
- Includes Wikipedia: Comparative Politics www
Includes definition, Comparative Politics, links and comparative strategies. Wikipedia: Comparative Politics.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Area Studies Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Area Studies Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Area Studies Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Area Studies Social Sciences