Cognitive science is the study of mind or the study of thought. It embraces multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, anthropology, sociology and biology. Cognitive Science Social Sciences Science.
Cognitive science is the interdisciplinary, scientific study of the mind and its processes. It examines the nature, the tasks, and the functions of cognition. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Cognitive science is the interdisciplinary, scientific study of the mind and its processes. It examines the nature, the tasks, and the functions of cognition. Cognitive scientists study intelligence and behavior, with a focus on how nervous systems represent, process, and transform information. Mental faculties of concern to cognitive scientists include language, perception, memory, attention, reasoning, and emotion; to understand these faculties, cognitive scientists borrow from fields such as linguistics, psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, and anthropology. The typical analysis of cognitive science spans many levels of organization, from learning and decision to logic and planning; from neural circuitry to modular brain organization. The fundamental concept of cognitive science is that "thinking can best be understood in terms of representational structures in the mind and computational procedures that operate on those structures."
- Cognitive science Category
- Affective science - Affective science is the scientific study of emotion or affect. This includes the study of emotion elicitation, emotional experience and the recognition of emotions in others.
- Cognitive anthropology - Cognitive anthropology is an approach within cultural anthropology in which scholars seek to explain patterns of shared knowledge, cultural innovation, and transmission over time and space using the methods and theories of the cognitive sciences often through close collaboration with historians...
- Cognitive biology - Cognitive biology is an emerging science that regards natural cognition as a biological function.
- Cognitive linguistics - Cognitive linguistics an interdisciplinary branch of linguistics, combining knowledge and research from both psychology and linguistics.
- Cognitive neuropsychology - Cognitive neuropsychology is a branch of cognitive psychology that aims to understand how the structure and function of the brain relates to specific psychological processes.
- Cognitive neuroscience - The term cognitive neuroscience was coined by George Armitage Miller and Michael Gazzaniga in year 1976.
- Branches of psychology
- John ACT Research Home Page www
John Anderson's ACT-R theory of cognition is a cognitive architecture aimed at computer simulating a full range of cognitive tasks. ACT Research Home Page.
- Links Facial Expression Resources on the Web www
Links to resources for research on facial expressions. Facial Expression Resources on the Web.
- A Cognitive Science’s Top 100 www
A ranked list of influential publications with comments on their impact. Cognitive Science’s Top 100.
- An Annotated Bibliography Of Mind-Related Topics www
An annotated bibliography of cognitive science, Bibliography Of Mind-Related Topics, artificial intelligence, neurobiology, artificial life, linguistics, neural networks, connectionism, cognitive psychology, consciousness. Annotated Bibliography Of Mind-Related Topics.
- Interactive Brain and Behavior, from Serendip www
Interactive exhibits, and Behavior, from Serendip, forum, and links aimed at exploring the observational basis and significance of the assertion that the nervous system underlies all aspects of human behavior and experience. Brain and Behavior, from Serendip.
- Ten 10 Classic Cognitive Science Papers www
Ten papers, Classic Cognitive Science Papers, originally published in the journal Cognitive Science, and judged by the editors to be classics of the field, made available for free download. 10 Classic Cognitive Science Papers.
- Subscription MIT Cognet www
Subscription based service from MIT Press giving access to full text coyrighted material, Cognet, discussions, and news. MIT Cognet.
- Provides Cognitie.nl cognition www
Provides information for scientists working in the field of cognitive science in the Netherlands. cognition. It includes news, research, institutes, jobs, conferences and events. Cognitie.nl cognition.
- Several Neurosemiotics www
Several articles on neurosemiotics, Neurosemiotics, the merging of neuroscience and semiotics, brain and mind research combining with the study of signs. Neurosemiotics.
- The Cognitive Science Society www
The premier professional organization in the field. Science Society. Information on membership, conferences, and the journal Cognitive Science (including abstracts of recent and upcoming articles). Cognitive Science Society.
- Series Reith Lectures 2003 - The Emerging Mind www
Series of five public radio lectures given by neuroscientist Vilayanur S. Lectures 2003 - The Emerging Mind. Ramachandran, Director of the Center for Brain and Cognition, University of California, San Diego. The 2003 series of the prestigious annual BBC Reith Lectures. Lectures available as Real Audio. Reith Lectures 2003 - The Emerging Mind.
- A Indiana Archives of Cognitive Science www
A portal including an introduction to the field, Archives of Cognitive Science, lists of academic programs and research opportunities, and an undergraduate journal. Indiana Archives of Cognitive Science.
- Yehouda Human Cognition in the Human Brain www
Yehouda Harpaz' model of human cognition, Cognition in the Human Brain, along with links to associated texts, including extensive critiques of publications associated with cognitive science. Human Cognition in the Human Brain.
- Dedicated MindScience Foundation www
Dedicated to funding and disseminating research on how consciousness arises in human beings. MindScience Foundation.
- Sponsors Austrian Society for Cognitive Science www
Sponsors seminars and a conference for cognitive science in Austria. Austrian Society for Cognitive Science.
- An The Computer Revolution in Philosophy www
An online (scanned) version of the 1978 book by Aaron Sloman. The Computer Revolution in Philosophy.
- Links The Modularity Home Page www
Links to resources and online papers on modularity in cognitive sciences, Modularity Home Page, neurosciences, evolutionary biology and AI. The Modularity Home Page.
- An CogSci World www
An index of resources available on the Internet. CogSci World.
- A Cognitive Science Dictionary www
A glossary of Cognitive Science terminology. Science Dictionary. From Dr. Michael Dawson of the University of Alberta. Cognitive Science Dictionary.
- Repository COGPRINTS: Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive www
Repository of freely available preprint and reprint papers, Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive, submitted by authors. COGPRINTS: Cognitive Sciences Eprint Archive.
- Offers California Academy of Sciences www
Offers educational exhibits and events. Academy of Sciences. Features research and publications, collection highlights, on-line database of artifacts and information on the Academy's Traditional Arts Program. Located in San Francisco, California. California Academy of Sciences.
- The National Anthropological Archives www
The NAA collects and preserves historical and contemporary anthropological materials that document the world's cultures and the history of anthropology. National Anthropological Archives.
- An Cogprints www
An electronic archive for self-archive papers in any area pertinent to the study of cognition. Cogprints.
- Identifies History of Cognitive Psychology www
Identifies the influential people from the 1700's to the current era. History of Cognitive Psychology.
- Mental Kosslyn, Stephen M. www
Mental imagery, Stephen M., perception. Kosslyn, Stephen M..
- One Minsky, Marvin www
One of the pioneers and most creative thinkers of Artificial Intelligence research. Minsky, Marvin.
- 12th AICS-2001 www
12th Irish Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science. AICS-2001. Maynooth, Ireland; 5-7 September 2001. AICS-2001.
- A 31st Australasian Experimental Psychology Conference (EPC'04) www
A forum for researchers to present work across the broad spectrum of experimental psychology and cognitive science. Australasian Experimental Psychology Conference (EPC'04). Dunedin, New Zealand, 16-18 April 2004. 31st Australasian Experimental Psychology Conference (EPC'04).
- Essays The Thinking Meat Project www
Essays and weblog entries on various topics regarding human nature. The Thinking Meat Project.
- Publications Emanuel Diamant www
Publications on cognition, Diamant, artificial intelligence, robotics and information processing in the human brain. Emanuel Diamant.
- Blog Cybernetics www
Blog providing an introduction to cybernetics which is the interdisciplinary study of the structure of regulatory systems and is closely related to control theory and systems theory. Cybernetics.
- List A Curriculum for Cybernetics and Systems Theory www
List of suggested books, Curriculum for Cybernetics and Systems Theory, periodicals, television shows and computer programs for a classroom curriculum or individual study in cybernetics and systems theory. A Curriculum for Cybernetics and Systems Theory.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Cognitive Science Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Cognitive Science Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Cognitive Science Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Cognitive Science Social Sciences