Criminology is a multi-disciplinary approach to examining and understanding the complex nature of criminal justice issues. This can include the study into the theory of crime, social foundations of criminal behavior, theories of punishment, and social structural components of the legal and criminal justice systems. It generally incorporates components from sociology, law and psychology. Criminology Social Sciences Science.
Criminology (from Latin crīmen , "accusation"; and Greek -λογία, -logia ) is the scientific study of the nature, extent, management, causes, control, consequences, and prevention of criminal behavior, both on the individual and social levels. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Criminology is the scientific study of the nature, extent, management, causes, control, consequences, and prevention of criminal behavior, both on the individual and social levels. Criminology is an interdisciplinary field in both the behavioral and social sciences, drawing especially upon the research of sociologists, psychologists, philosophers, psychiatrists, social anthropologists, as well as scholars of law.
- Criminology Category
- Anthropological criminology - Anthropological criminology is a field of offender profiling, based on perceived links between the nature of a crime and the personality or physical appearance of the offender.
- British Society of Criminology - British Society of Criminology is an international organization that aims to further the interests and knowledge of both academic and professional people who engage in any aspect of teaching, research or public education about crime, criminal behaviour and criminal justice systems in the United...
- Crime science - Crime science is the study of crime in order to find ways to prevent it.
- Forensic psychology - Forensic psychology is the intersection between psychology and the justice system.
- Forensic science - Forensic science is the application of science to criminal and civil laws, mainly?on the criminal side?during criminal investigation, as governed by the legal standards of admissible evidence and criminal procedure.
- Social cohesion - Group cohesiveness arises when bonds link members of a social group to one another and to the group as a whole. Although cohesion is a multi-faceted process, it can be broken down into four main components: social relations, task relations, perceived unity, and emotions.
- Interdisciplinary subfields of sociology
- Forensic psychology
- Behavioural sciences
- Focuses Environmental Criminology Research www
Focuses on geographic profiling, Criminology Research, which uses sophisticated computer software to determine the most likely area of offender residence in cases of serial murder, rape and arson. Environmental Criminology Research.
- Organization United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI) www
Organization created to advance policy and practice in the prevention and control of juvenile delinquency and adult criminality. Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI). Includes a collection of global criminology resources. United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI).
- Fully Crime-pics II www
Fully validated questionnaire used for measuring changes in offenders' attitudes to crime and evaluating the effectiveness of rehabilitative interventions, II, adopted by the prison and probation services in the UK. Crime-pics II.
- Discusses Crime and Social Control as Fields of Qualitative Research in the Social Sciences www
Discusses the importance of qualitative methods for criminological studies. Crime and Social Control as Fields of Qualitative Research in the Social Sciences.
- Wikipedia Crime Prevention through Environmental Design www
Wikipedia article on this multi-disciplinary approach to deterring criminal behavior through environmental design, Prevention through Environmental Design, its history, strategies and effectiveness. Crime Prevention through Environmental Design.
- Assists Korean Institute of Criminology www
Assists in policy formulation by analyzing the current state of crime phenomena, Institute of Criminology, conducts scientific studies, and contributes to public education through publication of the results of research projects. Korean Institute of Criminology.
- Article Crime Mapping www
Article about how crime mapping and analysis has been helping to reduce crime. Mapping. Includes links to related resources. Crime Mapping.
- Research, Criminal Profiling www
Research, Profiling, articles, news and information on profiling, victimology, forensics, and behavioral science. Criminal Profiling.
- Combines Virtual Center for Epidemiological Criminology www
Combines public health and criminal justice concerns. Center for Epidemiological Criminology. Issues such as drug abuse, HIV/AIDS, human trafficking and global warming are examined from a critical scientific viewpoint. Virtual Center for Epidemiological Criminology.
- The Criminal Psychology www
The Crime Library provides a number of articles about crimes and their perpetrators. Criminal Psychology.
- Consultancy John Walker Crime Trends Analysis www
Consultancy service developing criminal justice forecasting and strategic planning models that can improve the focus and efficiency of police, Walker Crime Trends Analysis, courts, crime prevention and financial regulatory agencies. John Walker Crime Trends Analysis.
- Furthers Scandinavian Research Council for Criminology www
Furthers criminological research within member countries, Research Council for Criminology, and advises the Scandinavian governments and the Nordic Council on related issues. Includes information about the council, publications and links. Scandinavian Research Council for Criminology.
- Provides The Redwood Highway www
Provides an extensive list of web links dealing with crime, Redwood Highway, criminology, law and criminal justice. The Redwood Highway.
- The Criminal Profiling www
The Crime Library provides a number of articles on criminals, Profiling, analyzing their ways and habits to provide insight into their criminal tendencies. Criminal Profiling.
- Standardized International Crime Victims Survey www
Standardized surveys regarding household experience with crime, Crime Victims Survey, policing, and crime prevention. Methodology and key data is available. International Crime Victims Survey.
- Questionnaires Judicial Attitudes on Feminist Ideas and Female Felons: the Impact on Female Crime Patterns www
Questionnaires about judicial attitudes toward feminism and toward female were administered to 234 of the 243 Oklahoma judges. Attitudes on Feminist Ideas and Female Felons: the Impact on Female Crime Patterns. Mixed evidence for bias was found. By Dr. Charles O. Ochie Sr. and Dr. Tayoba T. Ngenge. Judicial Attitudes on Feminist Ideas and Female Felons: the Impact on Female Crime Patterns.
- Online Wikipedia: Forensic Science www
Online encyclopedia article describing the history and linking sub-divisions of forensics. Wikipedia: Forensic Science.
- Networks Forensics Research at the Macaulay Institute www
Networks and conferences for work on soil forensics, Research at the Macaulay Institute, and the application of databases and 3D tools to criminal and environmental forensic investigations in the UK. Forensics Research at the Macaulay Institute.
- Links David Willshire's Forensic Psychology & Psychiatry Links www
Links to forensic psychology and psychiatry sites on the internet. David Willshire's Forensic Psychology & Psychiatry Links.
- An forensic-psych www
An online discussion group for forensic psychology. forensic-psych.
- Présentation, Société de médecine légale et de criminologie de France www
Présentation, médecine légale et de criminologie de France, événements et liens. Société de médecine légale et de criminologie de France.
- Revue Criminologie www
Revue électronique (PDF). Criminologie.
- Professional Western Society of Criminology www
Professional criminological society devoted to the scientific study of crime. Western Society of Criminology.
- Features The British Society of Criminology www
Features an ethical guide, British Society of Criminology, journal, news, information about conferences, membership details, and related links. The British Society of Criminology.
- This Psychology Suite101.com www
This site focuses on the human mind and behavior, Suite101.com, and more importantly, living healthy and adventurous lives. Part of living fully is being self-confident and phobia-free! Psychology Suite101.com.
- Organization International Union of Psychological Science: IUPsyS www
Organization dedicated to the development, Union of Psychological Science: IUPsyS, representation and advancement of psychology as a basic and applied science. Provides information on membership, conferences, the newsletter and publications, including the International Journal of Psychology. International Union of Psychological Science: IUPsyS.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Criminology Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Criminology Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Criminology Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Criminology Social Sciences