Cartography is the science and art of map making. Here you should find information and resources related to the process of making maps. Cartography Geography Social Sciences Science.
Cartography (from Greek χάρτης khartēs, "papyrus, sheet of paper, map"; and γράφειν graphein, "write") is the study and practice of making maps. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Cartography is the study and practice of making maps. Combining science, aesthetics, and technique, cartography builds on the premise that reality can be modeled in ways that communicate spatial information effectively.
- Cartography Category
- Animated mapping - Animated mapping is the application of animation, either computer or video, to add a temporal component to a map displaying change in some dimension. Most commonly the change is shown over time, generally at a greatly changed scale.
- Cartogram - A cartogram is a map in which some thematic mapping variable ? such as travel time, population, or Gross National Product ? is substituted for land area or distance. The geometry or space of the map is distorted in order to convey the information of this alternate variable.
- Cartographic relief depiction
- City map - A city map is a large-scale thematic map of a city created to enable the fastest possible orientation in an urban space. The graphic representation of objects on a city map is therefore usually greatly simplified, and reduced to generally understood symbology.
- Counter-mapping - Counter-mapping refers to efforts to map "against dominant power structures, to further seemingly progressive goals".
- Critical cartography - Critical Cartography is a set of new mapping practices and theoretical critique grounded in critical theory. It differs from academic cartography in that it links geographic knowledge with political power.
- FreeGIS.org www
Links to free software and data. FreeGIS.org.
- Maps Power of Mapping www
Maps are a powerful tool in spatial analysis, Mapping, helping problem solvers on many levels. Power of Mapping.
- The The United States Army Corps of Engineers www
The USACE is responsible for investigating, United States Army Corps of Engineers, developing and maintaining the nation's water and related environmental resources. A great source for hydrographic information. The United States Army Corps of Engineers.
- The PDF Map Source www
The site is a growing collection of pdf maps. Map Source. The pdf maps are free for personal use. PDF Map Source.
- National USGS Geography www
National mapping information from the U. Geography.S. Geological Survey. USGS Geography.
- Versamap Versamap Digital Mapping www
Versamap draws outline maps on many map projections. Digital Mapping. Print publication quality maps, or export maps in vector graphic (WMF, CGM, DXF, ASCII) and bitmapped (BMP) formats. Text may be added to maps using any Windows font. Plot your own data in a simple ASCII format. Versamap Digital Mapping.
- Produce MapTrax Australia www
Produce digital topographic maps, Australia, street maps, aeronautical charts, marine charts and NRMA travel maps of Australia, New Zealand and Thailand. MapTrax Australia.
- A LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Cartography/GIS/Remote Sensing www
LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Cartography/GIS/Remote Sensing.
- Collection Map Projections www
Collection of printable map projections organized by type. Map Projections.
- Explore The National Geographic Society www
Explore National Geographic Online. National Geographic Society. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration. The National Geographic Society.
- GIS Learn2Map www
GIS tutorial, Learn2Map, free maps, free GIS program. Learn2Map.
- Scans Harvard Map Collection: USGS Legend www
Scans from 'Standard Symbols Adopted by The Board of Surveys and Maps, Map Collection: USGS Legend, United States of America' (1932). Harvard Map Collection: USGS Legend.
- Offers World Places www
Offers Google satellite and 3D maps of countries and places all over the World. World Places.
- An Java World Map Projections www
An interactive java applet for exploring different map projections of the world, World Map Projections, with the ability to change the projection, scale and center of the map. Java World Map Projections.
- STM Solid Terrain Modeling www
STM creates physical 3D terrain models from digital data. Solid Terrain Modeling.
- Maps TakeMaps www
Maps of countries, TakeMaps, cities and other places from all around the World. Specially prepared for computer printers, it is possible to change the map size, orientation and details. TakeMaps.
- Digital Maps of the World www
Digital royalty-free maps covering the entire contemporary world. the World. Maps fully modifiable in programs like Adobe Illustrator. Maps of the World.
- Journal Cartographica Helvetica www
Journal for the history of cartography. Helvetica. The site includes a complete table of contents, English and German summaries and an author index. Cartographica Helvetica.
- Multifunctional Sabed www
Multifunctional online atlas, Sabed, specially made for the last years of elementary school and the first years of secondary education. In Dutch, English, Spanish, French and Portuguese. Sabed.
- Tony Map History / History of Cartography www
Map History / History of Cartography.
- A Strange Maps www
A weblog on unusual applications of cartography. Strange Maps.
- The Earth Resources Observation Systems (EROS) www
The Earth Resources Observation Systems (EROS) Data Center (EDC) is a data management, Resources Observation Systems (EROS), systems development, and research field center for the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) National Mapping Division. Earth Resources Observation Systems (EROS).
- Archive National Geographic Maps www
Archive of digital maps that can be downloaded and printed on demand. Geographic Maps. Covers all of US. Many special maps and foreign maps from Society archives. National Geographic Maps.
- A ChoroWare www
A tool designed to help cartographers and map users find class intervals for choropleth mapping. ChoroWare.
- The Terrain Map.com www
The purpose of this web page is to assemble, Map.com, organize, and present digital information about the earth's land surface of use to outdoor enthusiasts. Terrain Map.com.
- Online Computer Cartography at Northeastern Illinois University www
Online course syllabus and assignments aimed at teaching mapping techniques to effectively display spatial information. Computer Cartography at Northeastern Illinois University.
- Features Map Marketing www
Features a wide range of world maps, Marketing, country and UK Royal Mail postcode maps and related cartographic products. Map Marketing.
- News, SpatialNews www
News, SpatialNews, features, career postings, events, and daily wire. SpatialNews.
- Overview Wikipedia: Geomatics www
Overview of disciplines, Geomatics, applications and related links maintained by public contributions. Wikipedia: Geomatics.
- Articles, Institute of Mathematical Geography www
Articles, Mathematical Geography, papers and Solstice, an electronic journal of the interaction between geography and mathematics. Institute of Mathematical Geography.
- an The British Cartographic Society www
an association of individuals and organisations dedicated to exploring and developing the world of maps The British Cartographic Society.
- IMTA International Map Trade Association (IMTA) www
IMTA members are the companies that create and sell the maps, Map Trade Association (IMTA), atlases and map-related products you use. Find information on maps, geography and mapping technology. International Map Trade Association (IMTA).
- Geological Geology of Greenland Map Series www
Geological survey of Denmark and Greenland. Greenland Map Series. All maps are compiled on CD. Geology of Greenland Map Series.
- Works Geologic Data Systems www
Works with petroleum companies to make precise geological maps. Geologic Data Systems.
- Creates Cartagram www
Creates custom maps for publication, Cartagram, web and special presentation applications. Provides GIS services and map related clip art. Cartagram.
- Provides Jefferson Map Design www
Provides custom cartographic, Map Design, street map and GIS digital mapping services. Jefferson Map Design.
- Extensive History of the International Date Line www
Extensive information on the circumnavigator's paradox and the history of its resolution. History of the International Date Line.
- Infoplease Infoplease Political and Reference Atlas www
Infoplease Atlas has political maps of each region, Political and Reference Atlas, country, and state with links to reference information. Infoplease Political and Reference Atlas.
- Alexa: Cartography Geography
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Cartography Geography
- DMOZ: Cartography Geography
dmoz.org Directory: Cartography Geography