A geographic information system (GIS), captures, stores, analyzes, manages, and presents data that refers to or is linked to location. Geographic Information Systems Geography Social Sciences Science.
A geographic information system or geographical information system ( GIS ) is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of spatial or geographical data. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A geographic information system is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present spatial or geographic data. The acronym GIS is sometimes used for geographic information science to refer to the academic discipline that studies geographic information systems and is a large domain within the broader academic discipline of geoinformatics. What goes beyond a GIS is a spatial data infrastructure, a concept that has no such restrictive boundaries.
- AM/FM/GIS - AM/FM/GIS stands for Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and is a subset of GIS, which is associated with public utilities like gas, electric, water and telecommunications.
- At-location mapping - At-location mapping is closely related to location-based services. However, ALM focuses on the delivery of maps 'at location', using mobile devices that are enabled with Global Positioning System technology.
- Automotive navigation system - An automotive navigation system is part of the automobile controls or a third party add-on used to find direction in an automobile. It typically uses a satellite navigation device to get its position data which is then correlated to a position on a road.
- ArcGIS - ArcGIS is a geographic information system for working with maps and geographic information.
- Collaborative mapping - Collaborative mapping is the aggregation of Web mapping and user-generated content, from a group of individuals or entities, and can take several distinct forms.
- Counter-mapping - Counter-mapping refers to efforts to map "against dominant power structures, to further seemingly progressive goals".
- Computational fields of study
- Geographic information systems
- FreeGIS.org www
Links to free software and data. FreeGIS.org.
- Data GeoCommunity www
Data downloads, GeoCommunity, news, software tools and utilities. GeoCommunity.
- Provides Public Health www
Provides information on the use of GIS in public health applications, Health, from a 1998 conference. Public Health.
- GIS GIS Monitor www
GIS monitor goes beyond the headlines and press releases. Monitor. Local, county, state and federal Mapping and GIS users, consultants read and depend on the GIS Monitor Newsletter every week. GIS Monitor.
- Site GISuser www
Site delivers the latest news, GISuser, feature articles, and updates concerning the use of GIS, LBS, GPS, and geospatial technologies. GISuser.
- Gives U.S. Geological Survey www
Gives a brief overview of how a GIS is used, Geological Survey, some of the theory behind how it operates, as well as a discussion of various applications. U.S. Geological Survey.
- Examples GIS Case Studies www
Examples of United States and Canada raster and vector GIS projects. GIS Case Studies.
- Provides GIS Pathway www
Provides GIS tips, Pathway, book reviews, and education sources. GIS Pathway.
- A Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis: GIS Timeline Team www
A timeline reference outlining the history of GIS. Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis: GIS Timeline Team.
- News SlashGeo www
News and discussions about GIS, SlashGeo, remote sensing and everything geospatial. SlashGeo.
- The GIS Lounge www
The complete source for information and resources. Lounge. Information on data and applications and about GIS careers. GIS Lounge.
- News, SpatialNews www
News, SpatialNews, features, career postings, events, and daily wire. SpatialNews.
- Forum Example Code www
Forum features information and resources related to GIS. Example Code.
- Exploration Steigerwald, Scott www
Exploration of geography, Scott, GIS, geographic programming and serving maps on the web. Resource for ArcIMS and ESRI-based software. Steigerwald, Scott.
- Environmental EPA Region www
Environmental Protection Agency resource for GIS system data and applications in New York, Region, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. EPA Region.
- Provides GIS.com www
Provides introductory overviews on many aspects of GIS. GIS.com. Find information about industries, curriculums and current events in GIS. GIS.com.
- A GIS Cafe www
A resource for GIS professionals. GIS Cafe.
- News Svemir.co www
News and tutorials that covers topics about web mapping, Svemir.co, geospatial technology, GNSS and mobile mapping. Svemir.co.
- The The Food and Agriculture Organization www
The FAO GeoNetwork provides Internet access to interactive maps, Food and Agriculture Organization, satellite imagery and related spatial databases. The Food and Agriculture Organization.
- An Community Cartography www
An Internet mapping service and spatial data warehouse. Community Cartography.
- Road Digital Data Technologies, Inc (DDTi) www
Road centerline and address base mapping for GIS and E9-1-1. Data Technologies, Inc (DDTi). Digital Data Technologies, Inc (DDTi).
- A LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Cartography/GIS/Remote Sensing www
LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Cartography/GIS/Remote Sensing.
- Links MapDawg's GIS www
Links to maps, GIS, spatial data, and other items related to geography. MapDawg's GIS.
- Comprehensive Geospatial Analysis www
Comprehensive and independent guide to GIS analysis, Analysis, spatial analysis techniques and GIS software. Geospatial Analysis.
- Online Higher Education in GIS www
Online database of colleges and universities offering GIS courses. Higher Education in GIS.
- GIS GISjobSource.com www
GIS employment site and resume posting. GISjobSource.com. Jobs mostly based in the United States. GISjobSource.com.
- Canadian Geomatics Canada www
Canadian job and resume website. Geomatics Canada.
- (July ESRI User Conference 2001 www
(July 9 - 13, User Conference 2001, 2001) Held annually in San Diego, California, this is the biggest GIS conference with over 9,000 people in attendance last year. ESRI User Conference 2001.
- Event GIS Day www
Event that formalizes the practice of GIS users and vendors of opening their doors to schools, Day, businesses, and the general public to showcase real-world applications. GIS Day.
- Questions GeoCommunity www
Questions about GIS job postings, GeoCommunity, software tools, and utilities GeoCommunity.
- The GIS Frequently Asked Questions www
The FAQ is a resource of the comp. Frequently Asked Questions.infosystems.gis newsgroup which is connected to the GIS-L mailing list. GIS Frequently Asked Questions.
- Geography Environmental Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan www
Geography of the environment, Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan, and the use of the web in higher education. Environmental Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan.
- The European Spatial Planning Resource and Information Database (ESPRID) www
The database focuses on the spatial dimensions of territorial development processes and the spatial impacts of EU, Spatial Planning Resource and Information Database (ESPRID), national, regional and local policies across the European continent. European Spatial Planning Resource and Information Database (ESPRID).
- Alexa: Geographic Information Systems Geography
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Geographic Information Systems Geography
- DMOZ: Geographic Information Systems Geography
dmoz.org Directory: Geographic Information Systems Geography