A geographic information system (GIS), captures, stores, analyzes, manages, and presents data that refers to or is linked to location. Geographic Information Systems Geography Social Sciences Science.
A geographic information system or geographical information system ( GIS ) is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present all types of spatial or geographical data. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A geographic information system is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyze, manage, and present spatial or geographic data. The acronym GIS is sometimes used for geographic information science to refer to the academic discipline that studies geographic information systems and is a large domain within the broader academic discipline of geoinformatics. What goes beyond a GIS is a spatial data infrastructure, a concept that has no such restrictive boundaries.
- AM/FM/GIS - AM/FM/GIS stands for Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and is a subset of GIS, which is associated with public utilities like gas, electric, water and telecommunications.
- ArcGIS - ArcGIS is a geographic information system for working with maps and geographic information.
- At-location mapping - At-location mapping is closely related to location-based services. However, ALM focuses on the delivery of maps 'at location', using mobile devices that are enabled with Global Positioning System technology.
- Automotive navigation system - An automotive navigation system is part of the automobile controls or a third party add-on used to find direction in an automobile. It typically uses a satellite navigation device to get its position data which is then correlated to a position on a road.
- Collaborative mapping - Collaborative mapping is the aggregation of Web mapping and user-generated content, from a group of individuals or entities, and can take several distinct forms.
- Counter-mapping - Counter-mapping refers to efforts to map "against dominant power structures, to further seemingly progressive goals".
- Computational fields of study
- Geographic information systems
- FreeGIS.org www
Links to free software and data. FreeGIS.org.
- News Svemir.co www
News and tutorials that covers topics about web mapping, Svemir.co, geospatial technology, GNSS and mobile mapping. Svemir.co.
- News SlashGeo www
News and discussions about GIS, SlashGeo, remote sensing and everything geospatial. SlashGeo.
- Data GeoCommunity www
Data downloads, GeoCommunity, news, software tools and utilities. GeoCommunity.
- Gives U.S. Geological Survey www
Gives a brief overview of how a GIS is used, Geological Survey, some of the theory behind how it operates, as well as a discussion of various applications. U.S. Geological Survey.
- The GIS Lounge www
The complete source for information and resources. Lounge. Information on data and applications and about GIS careers. GIS Lounge.
- A GIS Cafe www
A resource for GIS professionals. GIS Cafe.
- Provides GIS.com www
Provides introductory overviews on many aspects of GIS. GIS.com. Find information about industries, curriculums and current events in GIS. GIS.com.
- The The Food and Agriculture Organization www
The FAO GeoNetwork provides Internet access to interactive maps, Food and Agriculture Organization, satellite imagery and related spatial databases. The Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Exploration Steigerwald, Scott www
Exploration of geography, Scott, GIS, geographic programming and serving maps on the web. Resource for ArcIMS and ESRI-based software. Steigerwald, Scott.
- Forum Example Code www
Forum features information and resources related to GIS. Example Code.
- A Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis: GIS Timeline Team www
A timeline reference outlining the history of GIS. Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis: GIS Timeline Team.
- News, SpatialNews www
News, SpatialNews, features, career postings, events, and daily wire. SpatialNews.
- Examples GIS Case Studies www
Examples of United States and Canada raster and vector GIS projects. GIS Case Studies.
- Site GISuser www
Site delivers the latest news, GISuser, feature articles, and updates concerning the use of GIS, LBS, GPS, and geospatial technologies. GISuser.
- GIS GIS Monitor www
GIS monitor goes beyond the headlines and press releases. Monitor. Local, county, state and federal Mapping and GIS users, consultants read and depend on the GIS Monitor Newsletter every week. GIS Monitor.
- Provides Public Health www
Provides information on the use of GIS in public health applications, Health, from a 1998 conference. Public Health.
- Provides GIS Pathway www
Provides GIS tips, Pathway, book reviews, and education sources. GIS Pathway.
- Environmental EPA Region www
Environmental Protection Agency resource for GIS system data and applications in New York, Region, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. EPA Region.
- Provides Geospace www
Provides spatial data services. Geospace.
- New GeographX Digital Mapping www
New Zealand land information and GIS services. Digital Mapping. Site offers some free data. GeographX Digital Mapping.
- Categories Colorado's Portal www
Categories for employment, Portal, internships/volunteering, data, events, education. Colorado's Portal.
- A The GIS Notebook www
A complete list of GIS web sites. The GIS Notebook.
- Academic University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, GIS homepage www
Academic website containing any and all of the University's GIS offerings, Michigan, Ann Arbor, GIS homepage, from course offerings, special interest groups, to maps. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, GIS homepage.
- Courses BCIT GIS Programs www
Courses and programs of study in GIS at the British Columbia Institute of Technology BCIT GIS Programs.
- Fee GIS User Jobs www
Fee based job listings. User Jobs. Find mostly US and Canadian GIS jobs on the GIS User web site. GIS User Jobs.
- Job GIS Connection www
Job postings mainly within the United States. Connection. An account (free) is required to post resumes and a fee is required to post jobs. No account is required to browse the job listings or resumes. GIS Connection.
- Information Digital Earth 2003 www
Information Resources for Global Sustainability Symposium 21. Earth 2003.-25.9 2003, Brno, Czech Republic. Digital Earth 2003.
- International GeoS 2005 www
International conference on Geospatial Semantics. 2005. Forum for the exchange of research results related to the facets of modeling and processing geospatial semantics. Conference proceedings will be published as a volume in Springer's LNCS series. GeoS 2005.
- Questions GeoCommunity www
Questions about GIS job postings, GeoCommunity, software tools, and utilities GeoCommunity.
- The GIS Frequently Asked Questions www
The FAQ is a resource of the comp. Frequently Asked Questions.infosystems.gis newsgroup which is connected to the GIS-L mailing list. GIS Frequently Asked Questions.
- A The START Natural Language Question Answering System www
A system designed to answer questions that are posed in natural language. START Natural Language Question Answering System. The system is especially equipped to answer geography queries. The START Natural Language Question Answering System.
- Listing US State Department - Dependencies and Areas of Special Sovereignty www
Listing of nations recognized by the US government. US State Department - Dependencies and Areas of Special Sovereignty.
- Alexa: Geographic Information Systems Geography
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Geographic Information Systems Geography
- DMOZ: Geographic Information Systems Geography
dmoz.org Directory: Geographic Information Systems Geography