Toponymy is the field of science where geography meets with onomastics, the study of names. In short, this is about place names. Place Names Geography Social Sciences Science.
- Wikipedia: Toponymy is the study of place names, their origins, meanings, use, and.
- Toponymy Category
- Labeling (map design) - Cartographic labeling is a form of typography and strongly deals with form, style, weight and size of type on a map. Essentially, labeling denotes the correct way to label features.
- Demonym y
- Ethnonym y
- Etymology - Etymology is the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time. By extension, the term "the etymology" means the origin of the particular word.
- Exonym and endonym - An exonym or xenonym is an external name for a geographical place, or a group of people, an individual person, or a language or dialect. It is a common name used only outside the place, group, or linguistic community in question, usually for historical reasons.
- Toponymic surname - A toponymic surname is a surname derived from a place name. This can include specific locations, such as the individual's place of origin, residence, or of lands that they held, or can be more generic, derived from topographic features.
- Place names
- Compiled Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names www
Compiled by the Getty Research Institute, Thesaurus of Geographic Names, TGN is a structured vocabulary developed primarily for the field of art history, but can be used in any in many other applications. The thesaurus contains nearly 1 million place names representing approximately 900,000 places. Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names.
- Database Names of Countries in Seven Languages www
Database of country names in Finnish, Countries in Seven Languages, Swedish, Saami, English, French, German and Russian. Names of Countries in Seven Languages.
- United UNGEGN www
United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names. UNGEGN. Contains information and resolutions on the issue of place names. UNGEGN.
- Global GNS: GEOnet Names Server www
Global searchable database set up by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), GEOnet Names Server, US. Foreign place names as approved by the US Board of Geographic Names, other name variants. Approx. 3.3 million entries GNS: GEOnet Names Server.
- A Toponomastica Toponymy www
A database of place-names from the classical Greek and Roman sources, Toponymy, with comments on their etymology, in English, plus toponymy of the Abruzzese Appennine in Italian. Toponomastica Toponymy.
- Base Noms géographiques du Canada www
Base de données des noms et leur éthymologie. Noms géographiques du Canada.
- Le Base de données toponymique du Québec www
Le Québec inventorie et traite ses noms de lieux. données toponymique du Québec. La Commission de toponymie diffuse une banque de données qui est mise à jour régulièrement et qui fournit de l'information précise sur plus de 258 000 noms de lieux du Québec. Base de données toponymique du Québec.
- Aims The Locus Project www
Aims to produce a new Historical Dictionary of Irish placenames and tribal names to replace Fr Edmund Hogan's Onomasticon Goedelicum. The Locus Project.
- By Canadian Geographical Names www
By the Canadian Geographical Names Board. Canadian Geographical Names.
- This Lexicon of Greek Personal Names www
This project is part of Oxford University, Greek Personal Names, under the aegis of the Board of Literae Humaniores. The purpose is to collect and publish with documentation all known ancient Greek personal names (including non-Greek names recorded in Greek, and Greek names in Latin). Lexicon of Greek Personal Names.
- Geographic PlacesNamed.com www
Geographic and onomastic Encyclopedia of the United States and reference information. PlacesNamed.com. Lists proper names as surnames and placenames. PlacesNamed.com.
- Maps Topnymic Elements: Ecuadorian Highlands www
Maps of toponymic element distribution in the Ecuadorian highlands plus some preliminary comments. Topnymic Elements: Ecuadorian Highlands.
- Advises The Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use www
Advises the British government on the proper writing of geographical names for places and features outside the United Kingdom. Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use. Includes information on English conventional names and Romanisation tables. The Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use.
- Information World Island Info www
Information on the world's islands, Island Info, including island superlatives. World Island Info.
- Geography Environmental Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan www
Geography of the environment, Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan, and the use of the web in higher education. Environmental Geography - Dr. James Hayes Bohanan.
- Alexa: Place Names Geography
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Place Names Geography
- DMOZ: Place Names Geography
dmoz.org Directory: Place Names Geography