Toponymy is the field of science where geography meets with onomastics, the study of names. In short, this is about place names. Place Names Geography Social Sciences Science.
- Wikipedia: Toponymy is the study of place names, their origins, meanings, use, and.
- Toponymy Category
- Labeling (map design) - Cartographic labeling is a form of typography and strongly deals with form, style, weight and size of type on a map. Essentially, labeling denotes the correct way to label features.
- Demonym y
- Ethnonym y
- Etymology - Etymology is the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time. By extension, the term "the etymology" means the origin of the particular word.
- Exonym and endonym - An exonym or xenonym is an external name for a geographical place, or a group of people, an individual person, or a language or dialect. It is a common name used only outside the place, group, or linguistic community in question.
- Toponymic surname - A toponymic surname is a surname derived from a place name. This can include specific locations, such as the individual's place of origin, residence, or of lands that they held, or can be more generic, derived from topographic features.
- Place names
- A Toponomastica Toponymy www
A database of place-names from the classical Greek and Roman sources, Toponymy, with comments on their etymology, in English, plus toponymy of the Abruzzese Appennine in Italian. Toponomastica Toponymy.
- Database Names of Countries in Seven Languages www
Database of country names in Finnish, Countries in Seven Languages, Swedish, Saami, English, French, German and Russian. Names of Countries in Seven Languages.
- United UNGEGN www
United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names. UNGEGN. Contains information and resolutions on the issue of place names. UNGEGN.
- Global GNS: GEOnet Names Server www
Global searchable database set up by the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), GEOnet Names Server, US. Foreign place names as approved by the US Board of Geographic Names, other name variants. Approx. 3.3 million entries GNS: GEOnet Names Server.
- Compiled Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names www
Compiled by the Getty Research Institute, Thesaurus of Geographic Names, TGN is a structured vocabulary developed primarily for the field of art history, but can be used in any in many other applications. The thesaurus contains nearly 1 million place names representing approximately 900,000 places. Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names.
- D'après Listes de noms de pays du monde www
D'après la Direction générale à la langue française, noms de pays du monde, France. Listes de noms de pays du monde.
- Base Commission de toponymie du Québec www
Base de données des noms et leur éthymologie. Commission de toponymie du Québec.
- A Roman Gaul www
A gazetteer of places and people of Roman Gaul. Roman Gaul.
- Anna Index of German-Polish and Polish-German Names of the Localities in Poland and Russia www
Anna Sluszkiewicz provides maps and a bibliography in addition to the index. Index of German-Polish and Polish-German Names of the Localities in Poland and Russia.
- Promote American Name Society www
Promote onomastics, Name Society, the study of names and naming practices, both in the United States and abroad. Seeks to find out what really is in a name, and to investigate cultural insights, settlement history, and linguistic characteristics revealed in names. Membership and publication information. American Name Society.
- Geographic PlacesNamed.com www
Geographic and onomastic Encyclopedia of the United States and reference information. PlacesNamed.com. Lists proper names as surnames and placenames. PlacesNamed.com.
- Search Australian Geographic Place Names (Gazetteer) www
Search the Gazetteer of Australia which is a compilation of over 240 000 geographic names of Australia provided by members of the Committee for Geographic Names in Australia. Geographic Place Names (Gazetteer). Australian Geographic Place Names (Gazetteer).
- Maps Topnymic Elements: Ecuadorian Highlands www
Maps of toponymic element distribution in the Ecuadorian highlands plus some preliminary comments. Topnymic Elements: Ecuadorian Highlands.
- Information World Island Info www
Information on the world's islands, Island Info, including island superlatives. World Island Info.
- Extensive History of the International Date Line www
Extensive information on the circumnavigator's paradox and the history of its resolution. History of the International Date Line.
- Alexa: Place Names Geography
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Place Names Geography
- DMOZ: Place Names Geography
dmoz.org Directory: Place Names Geography