Dialectology Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Dialectology (from Greek διάλεκτος, dialektos, "talk, dialect"; and -λογία, -logia ) is the scientific study of linguistic dialect, a sub-field of sociolinguistics. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Dialectology is the scientific study of linguistic dialect, a sub-field of sociolinguistics. It studies variations in language based primarily on geographic distribution and their associated features. Dialectology treats such topics as divergence of two local dialects from a common ancestor and synchronic variation.
- Dialectology Category
- Abstandsprache - In sociolinguistics, an abstand language is a language variety or cluster of varieties with significant linguistic distance from all others, while an ausbau language is a standard variety, possibly with related dependent varieties.
- Language geography - Language geography is the branch of human geography that studies the geographic distribution of language or its constituent elements. There are two principal fields of study within the geography of language...
- Dialectometry - Dialectometry is the quantitative and computational branch of dialectology, the study of dialect. This sub-field of linguistics studies language variation using the methods of statistics; it arose in the 1970s and 80s as a result of seminal work by J. S guy and H. Goebl.
- Language survey - A language survey is conducted around the world for a variety of reasons.
- Interactive Dialect Topography www
Interactive results of a sociolinguistic postal survey of dialect variants in eastern Canada and northeastern United States. Dialect Topography.
- Dialectology Dialectology www
Dialectology section has general information as well as papers, Dialectology, links, and information on Norwegian, Dutch and German dialects. Dialectology.
- Estuary Estuary English Resources and Information www
Estuary English resource page includes many links to research and articles about a variety of English spoken in the areas around the river Thames and its estuary. Estuary English Resources and Information.
- Online The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes www
Online language survey collects English dialect features from site visitors and publishes results on dialect maps. The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes.
- Resources New Zealand English www
Resources on social dialect studies in New Zealand. New Zealand English.
- Comprehensive Linguistic Atlas Projects www
Comprehensive information on linguistic dialect atlas projects across the U. Atlas Projects.S. including access to some data. Linguistic Atlas Projects.
- Quantitative Linguistic Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London www
Quantitative sociolinguistic research among young Londoners studies changes in mainstream speech and how linguistic features spread. Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London. Includes description of project and research articles. Linguistic Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London.
- Informational Sociolinguistics www
Informational page on sociolinguistics with a very large section on dialects. Sociolinguistics.
- Research DigDag www
Research project to compile a historical searchable database of Danish dialects. DigDag. Includes project description, participant information, and access specifications. DigDag.
- Introduction Good Practice Guide to Dialectology www
Introduction to Dialectology by Dr. Practice Guide to Dialectology. David Britain including a bibliography and related links. Good Practice Guide to Dialectology.
- Official International Society for Dialectology and Geolinguistics www
Official site promotes dialectology and geolinguistics and features membership and publication information for the International Journal of Dialectology and Geolinguistics. International Society for Dialectology and Geolinguistics.
- Results Harvard Survey of North American Dialects www
Results of an online survey of regional pronunciations of American English Harvard Survey of North American Dialects.
- Annotated Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography www
Annotated bibliography of tense, Linguistic Bibliography, verbal aspect, aktionsart and related areas. Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography.
- Sharing Linguistic Data Consortium www
Sharing of linguistic data, Data Consortium, tools and standards resources. Linguistic Data Consortium.
- Alexa: Dialectology Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Dialectology Linguistics
- DMOZ: Dialectology Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Dialectology Linguistics