Section contains web sites concerning the study of names. Onomastics Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Onomastics or onomatology is the study of the origin, history, and use of proper names. Onomastics originates from the Greek ὀνομαστικός ( onomastikós ), which translates to "of or belonging to naming", from ὄνομα ( ónoma ) meaning "name". (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Onomastics or onomatology is the study of the origin, history, and use of proper names.
- Onomastics Category
- Ancient Greek personal names - The study of ancient Greek personal names is a branch of onomastics, the study of names, and more specifically of anthroponomastics, the study of names of persons.
- Etymology , the study of word origins.
- Extinction of surnames - The Galton?Watson process is a branching stochastic process arising from Francis Galton's statistical investigation of the extinction of family names.
- Hydronyms - A hydronym is a proper name of a body of water. Hydronymy, a subset of toponymy, the taxonomic study of place-names, is the study of the names of bodies of water, the origins of those names, and how they are transmitted through history.
- Mononymous persons - A mononymous person is an individual who is known and addressed by a mononym, or "single name". In some cases, that name has been selected by the individual, who may have originally been given a polynym.
- Naming convention - A naming convention is a convention for naming things. Conventions differ in their intents, which may include to...
- The Behind the Name www
The meaning and history of first names. Behind the Name.
- Promote American Name Society www
Promote onomastics, Name Society, the study of names and naming practices, both in the United States and abroad. Seeks to find out what really is in a name, and to investigate cultural insights, settlement history, and linguistic characteristics revealed in names. Membership and publication information. American Name Society.
- This Lexicon of Greek Personal Names www
This project is part of Oxford University, Greek Personal Names, under the aegis of the Board of Literae Humaniores. The purpose is to collect and publish with documentation all known ancient Greek personal names (including non-Greek names recorded in Greek, and Greek names in Latin). Lexicon of Greek Personal Names.
- International International Council of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS) www
International organization of all scholars who have a special interest in the study of names. Council of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS). The aim of the Council is the advancement, representation and co-ordination of name research on an international level and in an interdisciplinary context. International Council of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS).
- Geographic PlacesNamed.com www
Geographic and onomastic Encyclopedia of the United States and reference information. PlacesNamed.com. Lists proper names as surnames and placenames. PlacesNamed.com.
- An Anthropological Linguistics www
An academic journal. Linguistics. Among the subjects it covers, onomastic studies. Anthropological Linguistics.
- United UNGEGN www
United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names. UNGEGN. Contains information and resolutions on the issue of place names. UNGEGN.
- Database Names of Countries in Seven Languages www
Database of country names in Finnish, Countries in Seven Languages, Swedish, Saami, English, French, German and Russian. Names of Countries in Seven Languages.
- Specializes Maledicta Press www
Specializes in negatively-valued words and expressions from all languages and cultures, Press, focussing on the origin, etymology, meaning, use and influence of verbal aggression and abuse of any kind. Maledicta Press.
- Annotated Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography www
Annotated bibliography of tense, Linguistic Bibliography, verbal aspect, aktionsart and related areas. Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography.
- Alexa: Onomastics Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Onomastics Linguistics
- DMOZ: Onomastics Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Onomastics Linguistics