Phonetics and Phonology Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Phonetics (pronounced / f ə ˈ n ɛ t ɪ k s / , from the Greek: φωνή , phōnē, 'sound, voice') is a branch of linguistics that comprises the study of the sounds of human speech, or—in the case of sign languages —the equivalent aspects of sign. (wikipedia)
- English, Contrasted Phonology of English and Portuguese Vowels www
English, Phonology of English and Portuguese Vowels, Portuguese, and Spanish vowels are discussed, and possible errors of Portuguese-speaking students of English are examined. Contrasted Phonology of English and Portuguese Vowels.
- Links Socrates www
Links to internet resources in phonetics and speech communication. Socrates.
- Provides A Phonetics Chart for British English www
Provides the basic English sounds and the usual phonetic symbols, Phonetics Chart for British English, with examples and downloadable sounds. A Phonetics Chart for British English.
- List Studying Phonetics on the Net www
List of categorized links concerning the study of spoken English. Studying Phonetics on the Net.
- Virtual Linguistics and Phonetics Worldwide www
Virtual library of linguistics and phonetics. Linguistics and Phonetics Worldwide.
- Animated Phonetics: The Sounds of English and Spanish www
Animated libraries of the phonetic sounds of Spanish and English. Phonetics: The Sounds of English and Spanish.
- Introduction Prosody on the Web www
Introduction to prosody, the Web, including chunking, focus, and pitch. Prosody on the Web.
- Preliminary Four Tones and Downtrend www
Preliminary report on pitch realization in Mambila, Tones and Downtrend, a language with four level tones. Four Tones and Downtrend.
- Database The SpeechDat Project www
Database of recordings of speech in various languages. The SpeechDat Project.
- List Infography about Phonology www
List of mostly print resources on phonology recommended by a professor who specializes in phonological research. Infography about Phonology.
- Paper The Kiel Intonation Modell (KIM) www
Paper on "The Kiel Intonation Model (KIM), Kiel Intonation Modell (KIM), its Implementation in TTS Synthesis and its Application to the Study of Spontaneous Speech." The Kiel Intonation Modell (KIM).
- Machine-readable The CMU Pronouncing Dictionary www
Machine-readable pronunciation dictionary for North American English that contains over 100, CMU Pronouncing Dictionary,000 words and their transcriptions. The CMU Pronouncing Dictionary.
- Site Margo's Magical Letter Page www
Site regarding phonosemantics, Magical Letter Page, the meaning of sound. Margo's Magical Letter Page.
- Results Phonological Atlas of North America www
Results of a telephone survey of the major urbanized areas of the U. Atlas of North America.S. and Canada. Phonological Atlas of North America.
- Comprehensive Speech Internet Dictionary www
Comprehensive dictionary of terms used in phonetics and linguistics Speech Internet Dictionary.
- Online Virtual Language Laboratory www
Online language laboratory providing pronunciation practice and accent correction in a number of languages. Virtual Language Laboratory.
- Contains English Conversational Grunts www
Contains speech samples illustrating the phonetic diversity of non-lexical items in conversation, Conversational Grunts, such as uh-huh, mm-hm, nn-hnn, nyeah, m-kay, together with discussion of their pragmatics. English Conversational Grunts.
- Variety Speech Web Sites www
Variety of links to mainly acoustics-related sites. Speech Web Sites.
- Contains Talking Heads www
Contains information concerning speech synthesis, Heads, vocal tract modeling, facial animation, and the McGurk effect. Talking Heads.
- Brief How to Pronounce "Ghoti" www
Brief analysis of why "ghoti" may be pronounced as "fish". How to Pronounce "Ghoti".
- Paper Teaching English Intonation with a Visual Display of Fundamental Frequency www
Paper on the use of fundamental frequency displays for teaching English intonation. English Intonation with a Visual Display of Fundamental Frequency. [by Richard Stibbard] Teaching English Intonation with a Visual Display of Fundamental Frequency.
- Archive Speech Accent Archive www
Archive of foreign accents recorded in English. Accent Archive. Phonetic transcriptions and phonological generalizations are provided. Speech Accent Archive.
- Paper Analytic Listening: A New Approach to Ear-Training www
Paper on a method for ear-training and auditory skill assessment of students of phonetics. Analytic Listening: A New Approach to Ear-Training.
- Summary Spoken Language Corpus www
Summary of work on spoken language at Göteborg University, Language Corpus, including discussion of Modified Standard Orthography (MSO). [by Allwood et al, Göteborg University] Spoken Language Corpus.
- Contributed-content Rutgers Optimality Archive www
Contributed-content index of Optimality Theory information. Optimality Archive. Searchable or browseable data, submission and update forms, font and utility downloads, links to other collections. Rutgers Optimality Archive.
- Concerns The Rhythmic Speech Museum www
Concerns rhythm in speech. The Rhythmic Speech Museum.
- Contact University of Cambridge Phonetics Lab www
Contact information, Cambridge Phonetics Lab, details about research, people, news and events. University of Cambridge Phonetics Lab.
- Undergraduate UCL Phonetics and Linguistics www
Undergraduate and graduate degrees in linguistics, Phonetics and Linguistics, phonetics and phonology; summer course in English phonetics; educational and computational resources in phonetics. UCL Phonetics and Linguistics.
- Unicode The IPA in Unicode www
Unicode standard used by current browsers covers all the IPA phonetic symbols. IPA in Unicode. Listed with their meanings, codes, and advice on Unicode fonts that contain them. The IPA in Unicode.
- The International Phonetic Association www
The website of the organization that created the International Phonetic Alphabet. International Phonetic Association.
- Oldest International Phonetic Association www
Oldest representative organisation for phoneticians. Phonetic Association. Contains information on membership, publications, and the International Phonetic Alphabet. International Phonetic Association.
- Experiments Acoustics of the Vowel www
Experiments concerning the physical characteristics of vowels: formants and pitches (F0), the Vowel, formant pattern ambiguity, formant number alteration. Important for all sciences related to speech, acoustic phonetics, speech therapy and speech recognition. Acoustics of the Vowel.
- Research, Laboratory of Experimental Phonetics, University of Turin www
Research, Experimental Phonetics, University of Turin, downloads and staff. Includes an IPA chart with audio samples and MRI scans. Laboratory of Experimental Phonetics, University of Turin.
- Acoustic Speech Filing System Home Page www
Acoustic analysis software for Windows and Unix. Speech Filing System Home Page.
- Listing Speech Synthesis and Analysis Software www
Listing of software for speech synthesis and analysis. Speech Synthesis and Analysis Software.
- Shockwave IPA Self-Test www
Shockwave game that quizzes users on their recognition of IPA sounds. IPA Self-Test.
- Phonology English phonemic transcription www
Phonology practice using the International Phonetic Alphabet for English language learners and teachers. English phonemic transcription.
- Web The Linguist List www
Web site for the mailing list: professional communication and networking for the world-wide community of linguists. The Linguist List.
- Sharing Linguistic Data Consortium www
Sharing of linguistic data, Data Consortium, tools and standards resources. Linguistic Data Consortium.
- Alexa: Phonetics and Phonology Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Phonetics and Phonology Linguistics
- DMOZ: Phonetics and Phonology Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Phonetics and Phonology Linguistics