The philosophical and scientific study of meaning. Sometimes considered to be the same thing as semiotics, semology, or semasiology, which have overlapping meanings. This is a relatively new field of study, and several pioneers who largely worked independently of one another each felt the need to coin a new name for the new discipline, resulting in a variety of terms for the same subject. The word semantics is widely preferred as the name for the doctrine of meaning, particularly linguistic meaning. Semiotics denotes the study of sign-using behaviour in general. -- Based on britannica.com entry Semantics Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Semantics (from Ancient Greek: σημαντικός sēmantikos, "significant") is primarily the linguistic, and also philosophical study of meaning —in language, programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Semantics is the linguistic and philosophical study of meaning, in language, programming languages, formal logics, and semiotics. It is concerned with the relationship between signifiers?like words, phrases, signs, and symbols?and what they stand for, their denotation.
- Semantics Category
- Meaning (philosophy of language)
- Concepts in logic
- Social philosophy
- Article Approaching Natural Language Via Mediaeval Logic www
Article by Gyula Klima. Approaching Natural Language Via Mediaeval Logic.
- Compares Comparison of inflection and derivation www
Compares and contrasts the similarities and differences between inflection and derivation. Comparison of inflection and derivation.
- Entry Logical Form in Linguistics www
Entry in the MIT Encyclopedia of Cognitive Sciences, Form in Linguistics, by Robert May. Logical Form in Linguistics.
- Report Concepts in the Lexicon www
Report by John F. the Lexicon. Sowa, discussing the role of the lexicon in conceptual knowledge. Concepts in the Lexicon.
- Article The Four Basic Ontologies of Semantic Interpretation www
Article by Roland Hausser comparing approaches to semantics between linguistics, Four Basic Ontologies of Semantic Interpretation, philosophy and computer science, and classifying them into four kinds depending upon whether or not they are realist, and whether or not they make a sense/reference distinction. The Four Basic Ontologies of Semantic Interpretation.
- Scholarly Semantics Archive www
Scholarly research paper exchange for language semanticists. Archive. Browseable by author or date; submission and update forms, users guide. Semantics Archive.
- Explains Research Group Communicative Understanding www
Explains pragmatic implication based on Grice's theory of implicit communication and presupposition. Research Group Communicative Understanding.
- Short The Formal Approach to Meaning www
Short survey of semantics of natural language by Barbara Abbott, Formal Approach to Meaning, at University of Michigan. Focuses upon Montague semantics, and tries to give a feel for the main open problems in the field. The Formal Approach to Meaning.
- Postscript Propositional Dynamic Logic www
Postscript format survey article by Marc Pauly written from a computer science perspective. Propositional Dynamic Logic.
- Interview A Talk with George Lakoff www
Interview by John Brockman at The Edge. Talk with George Lakoff. Lakoff is one of the founders of generative semantics. A Talk with George Lakoff.
- Compares Mind Versus Goedel by Damjan Bojadziev www
Compares the mind to advanced computers and artificial intelligence, Versus Goedel by Damjan Bojadziev, as Goedel would possibly view them. Mind Versus Goedel by Damjan Bojadziev.
- Introduction Classical Logic www
Introduction to classical logic, Logic, including completeness and Löwenheim-Skolem theorems; by Stewart Shapiro. Classical Logic.
- Research Barnden, John - ATT-Meta Project www
Research project which simulates reasoning about mental states and metaphor in a rule-based system. John - ATT-Meta Project. Various papers and a metaphor databank. Barnden, John - ATT-Meta Project.
- Cognitive Forceville, Charles www
Cognitive linguist with a special interest in visual metaphors. Forceville, Charles.
- By Review of `The Semantics/Pragmatics Interface' www
Review of `The Semantics/Pragmatics Interface'.
- Article The Semantics-Pragmatics Distinction www
Article by Kent Bach. The Semantics-Pragmatics Distinction.
- Abstract Analysis of Speech Acts in Situation Semantics www
Abstract of a paper by Chung, Speech Acts in Situation Semantics, Myung-chong. Analysis of Speech Acts in Situation Semantics.
- Sharing Linguistic Data Consortium www
Sharing of linguistic data, Data Consortium, tools and standards resources. Linguistic Data Consortium.
- Essays Language and Linguistics www
Essays on language and linguistics and links to related materials. Language and Linguistics.
- Alexa: Semantics Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Semantics Linguistics
- DMOZ: Semantics Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Semantics Linguistics