The term Semiotics stems from the Greek word seemeiootikee --the study of signs, what they represent and signify, and how we act and think in their milieu. Semiotics is the study of signs and signifying practices which influenced artistic writing of the 1980s and 1990s. Semiotics Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Semiotics (also called semiotic studies; not to be confused with the Saussurean tradition called semiology which is a part of semiotics) is the study of meaning-making, the study of sign processes and meaningful communication. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Semiotics is the study of meaning-making, the study of sign process and meaningful communication. It is not to be confused with the Saussurean tradition called semiology which is a subset of semiotics. This includes the study of signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, allegory, metonymy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication.
- Semiotics Category
- Ethnosemiotics - Ethnosemiotics is a disciplinary perspective which links semiotics concepts to ethnographic methods.
- Index of semiotics articles - The following is a list of semiotics terms; that is, those words used in discussion, classification, criticism, and analysis of the study of sign processes, analogy, metaphor, signification and communication, signs and symbols.
- Language-game (philosophy) - A language-game is a philosophical concept developed by Ludwig Wittgenstein, referring to simple examples of language use and the actions into which the language is woven.
- Medical sign - A medical sign is an objective indication of some medical fact or characteristic that may be detected by a patient or anyone, especially a physician, before or during a physical examination of a patient. For example, whereas a tingling paresthesia is a symptom, erythema is a sign.
- Outline of semiotics - Semiotics ? study of meaning-making, signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication.
- Private language argument - The private language argument argues that a language understandable by only a single individual is incoherent, and was introduced by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his later work, especially in the Philosophical Investigations.
- Communication studies
- Philosophy of language
- Comprehensive Semiotics for Beginners www
Comprehensive hypertext introduction to semiotics, for Beginners, by Daniel Chandler (University of Wales, Aberystwyth). Semiotics for Beginners.
- Semiotic serg - semiotic engineering research group www
Semiotic Engineering Research Group, semiotic engineering research group, PUC-Rio. serg - semiotic engineering research group.
- Sites Sites of Significance for Semiotics www
Sites of Significance for Semiotics. Sites of Significance for Semiotics.
- Defining Definition Generator www
Defining letters of the alphabet enables automatic definitions of all words in the English language. Definition Generator.
- Paper Critiques of Semiotics www
Paper by Scott Simpkins Critiques of Semiotics.
- Short About.com - Semiotics www
Short description of semiotics. Semiotics. Includes information about the ideas of Ferdinand de Saussure and Charles Sanders Peirce. About.com - Semiotics.
- Glossary Semiotic Terms www
Glossary by Cliff Joslyn Semiotic Terms.
- Daniel MCS: Semiotics www
Daniel Chandler's Media and Communication Studies Site. MCS: Semiotics.
- University Department of Semiotics www
University of Tartu, Semiotics, Estonia. Department of Semiotics.
- Paper Communication Science vs. Semiotics www
Paper by Carlos Colón Communication Science vs. Semiotics.
- Encyclopedia SYMBOLS.com www
Encyclopedia of Western signs and ideograms. SYMBOLS.com.
- Semiotics Multiple-Choice www
Semiotics Quiz: Thomas Streeter Multiple-Choice.
- Rationalization Semiotic theory www
Rationalization of interpretation and communication under a comprehensive theory of the universe. Semiotic theory.
- Cognition Cognition and Semiotics www
Cognition and Semiotics: Carlos Colón Cognition and Semiotics.
- A Center for Semiotics www
A research and educational unit of the University of Aarhus, for Semiotics, Denmark. Papers and publications, seminar calendars, and description of research in semiotics, cognition, and linguistics. Center for Semiotics.
- Books Bibliography of Musical Semiotics www
Books and journal articles up through 1998. Bibliography of Musical Semiotics.
- Research Jakob von Uexküll Centre www
Research in biosemiotics, von Uexküll Centre, theoretical biology, philosophy of biology and fields bordering with them (e.g., ecosemiotics). Jakob von Uexküll Centre.
- A Zoosemiotics www
A point of reference for people interested in animal communication. Zoosemiotics.
- Game Game Studies www
Game Studies is a crossdisciplinary journal dedicated to computer games research, Studies, with focus on aesthetic, cultural and communicative aspects of computer games. Game Studies.
- A The Semiotic Review of Books www
A multidisciplinary journal publishing exclusively review articles. Semiotic Review of Books. It endeavours to monitor those domains in the Humanities, the Social and the Natural Sciences which bear upon symbolic and communicative behaviour, cognitive systems and processes, cultural transmission and innovations, and the study of information, meaning and signification in all forms. The Semiotic Review of Books.
- MA A Discursive-Semiotic Approach to Cultural Aspects in Persuasive Advertisements www
MA in Applied Linguistics and Literary Theory dissertation by Ilze Bezuidenhout. A Discursive-Semiotic Approach to Cultural Aspects in Persuasive Advertisements.
- Undergraduate A Semiotic Analysis of a Newspaper Story www
Undergraduate essay by Helen Gambles. A Semiotic Analysis of a Newspaper Story.
- International IASS-AIS www
International Association for Semiotic Studies. IASS-AIS.
- Support International Semiotics Institute www
Support for international research groups and projects, Semiotics Institute, and education through annual international summer congresses, seminars, and winter schools of semiotics. International Semiotics Institute.
- Trevor Pragmatics in Semiotics www
Trevor Pateman: Bakhtin and Volosinov as founders of modern pragmatics. Pragmatics in Semiotics.
- Sharing Linguistic Data Consortium www
Sharing of linguistic data, Data Consortium, tools and standards resources. Linguistic Data Consortium.
- Essays Language and Linguistics www
Essays on language and linguistics and links to related materials. Language and Linguistics.
- Alexa: Semiotics Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Semiotics Linguistics
- DMOZ: Semiotics Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Semiotics Linguistics