The term Semiotics stems from the Greek word seemeiootikee --the study of signs, what they represent and signify, and how we act and think in their milieu. Semiotics is the study of signs and signifying practices which influenced artistic writing of the 1980s and 1990s. Semiotics Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Semiotics (also called semiotic studies; not to be confused with the Saussurean tradition called semiology which is a part of semiotics) is the study of meaning-making, the study of sign processes and meaningful communication. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Semiotics is the study of meaning-making, the study of sign process and meaningful communication. It is not to be confused with the Saussurean tradition called semiology, which is a subset of semiotics. Semiotics includes the study of signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, allegory, metonymy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication.
- Semiotics Category
- Ethnosemiotics - Ethnosemiotics is a disciplinary perspective which links semiotics concepts to ethnographic methods.
- Index of semiotics articles - The following is a list of semiotics terms; that is, those words used in discussion, classification, criticism, and analysis of the study of sign processes, analogy, metaphor, signification and communication, signs and symbols.
- Language-game (philosophy) - A language-game is a philosophical concept developed by Ludwig Wittgenstein, referring to simple examples of language use and the actions into which the language is woven.
- Medical sign - A medical sign is an objective indication of some medical fact or characteristic that may be detected by a patient or anyone, especially a physician, before or during a physical examination of a patient. For example, whereas a tingling paresthesia is a symptom, erythema is a sign.
- Outline of semiotics - Semiotics ? study of meaning-making, signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication.
- Private language argument - The private language argument argues that a language understandable by only a single individual is incoherent, and was introduced by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his later work, especially in the Philosophical Investigations.
- Communication studies
- Philosophy of language
- Glossary Semiotic Terms www
Glossary by Cliff Joslyn Semiotic Terms.
- A Center for Semiotics www
A research and educational unit of the University of Aarhus, for Semiotics, Denmark. Papers and publications, seminar calendars, and description of research in semiotics, cognition, and linguistics. Center for Semiotics.
- Paper Communication Science vs. Semiotics www
Paper by Carlos Colón Communication Science vs. Semiotics.
- University Department of Semiotics www
University of Tartu, Semiotics, Estonia. Department of Semiotics.
- Sites Sites of Significance for Semiotics www
Sites of Significance for Semiotics. Sites of Significance for Semiotics.
- Daniel MCS: Semiotics www
Daniel Chandler's Media and Communication Studies Site. MCS: Semiotics.
- Semiotics Multiple-Choice www
Semiotics Quiz: Thomas Streeter Multiple-Choice.
- Short About.com - Semiotics www
Short description of semiotics. Semiotics. Includes information about the ideas of Ferdinand de Saussure and Charles Sanders Peirce. About.com - Semiotics.
- Comprehensive Semiotics for Beginners www
Comprehensive hypertext introduction to semiotics, for Beginners, by Daniel Chandler (University of Wales, Aberystwyth). Semiotics for Beginners.
- Semiotic serg - semiotic engineering research group www
Semiotic Engineering Research Group, semiotic engineering research group, PUC-Rio. serg - semiotic engineering research group.
- Rationalization Semiotic theory www
Rationalization of interpretation and communication under a comprehensive theory of the universe. Semiotic theory.
- Paper Critiques of Semiotics www
Paper by Scott Simpkins Critiques of Semiotics.
- Defining Definition Generator www
Defining letters of the alphabet enables automatic definitions of all words in the English language. Definition Generator.
- Cognition Cognition and Semiotics www
Cognition and Semiotics: Carlos Colón Cognition and Semiotics.
- Encyclopedia SYMBOLS.com www
Encyclopedia of Western signs and ideograms. SYMBOLS.com.
- Books Bibliography of Musical Semiotics www
Books and journal articles up through 1998. Bibliography of Musical Semiotics.
- Research Jakob von Uexküll Centre www
Research in biosemiotics, von Uexküll Centre, theoretical biology, philosophy of biology and fields bordering with them (e.g., ecosemiotics). Jakob von Uexküll Centre.
- A Zoosemiotics www
A point of reference for people interested in animal communication. Zoosemiotics.
- A Applied Semiotics/Sémiotique appliquée www
Applied Semiotics/Sémiotique appliquée.
- A The Semiotic Review of Books www
A multidisciplinary journal publishing exclusively review articles. Semiotic Review of Books. It endeavours to monitor those domains in the Humanities, the Social and the Natural Sciences which bear upon symbolic and communicative behaviour, cognitive systems and processes, cultural transmission and innovations, and the study of information, meaning and signification in all forms. The Semiotic Review of Books.
- Undergraduate A Semiotic Analysis of a Newspaper Story www
Undergraduate essay by Helen Gambles. A Semiotic Analysis of a Newspaper Story.
- MA A Discursive-Semiotic Approach to Cultural Aspects in Persuasive Advertisements www
MA in Applied Linguistics and Literary Theory dissertation by Ilze Bezuidenhout. A Discursive-Semiotic Approach to Cultural Aspects in Persuasive Advertisements.
- CyberSemiotic CyberSemiotic Institute www
CyberSemiotic Institute CyberSemiotic Institute.
- SEE Semiosis Evolution Energy www
SEE is a virtual research project grounded within an exploration of themes basic to the transformation of energy within evolutionary semiotic or codal organization. Semiosis Evolution Energy.
- Trevor Pragmatics in Semiotics www
Trevor Pateman: Bakhtin and Volosinov as founders of modern pragmatics. Pragmatics in Semiotics.
- Weblog Language Log www
Weblog run by University of Pennsylvania phonetician Mark Liberman, Log, with multiple guest linguists. Language Log.
- Answers The sci.lang FAQ www
Answers to frequently asked questions about dialects, sci.lang FAQ, languages and their relationships, linguistics, and phonetic systems. The sci.lang FAQ.
- Alexa: Semiotics Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Semiotics Linguistics
- DMOZ: Semiotics Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Semiotics Linguistics