Sociolinguistics is the study of the relationship between linguistic behaviour and social situations, roles, and functions. Rather than concentrating on individuals, sociolinguistics is centered on the speech community; defined as any group of people who share some set of social conventions, or sociolinguistic norms, for language use. This relationship between language and society encompasses a wide variety of social situations--from international relations to interpersonal relationships. Sociolinguistics Linguistics Social Sciences Science.
Sociolinguistics is the descriptive study of the effect of any and all aspects of society, including cultural norms, expectations, and context, on the way language is used, and the effects of language use on society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Sociolinguistics is the descriptive study of the effect of any and all aspects of society, including cultural norms, expectations, and context, on the way language is used, and society's effect on language. It differs from sociology of language, which focuses on the effect of language on society. Sociolinguistics overlaps considerably with pragmatics. It is historically closely related to linguistic anthropology, and the distinction between the two fields has been questioned.
- Sociolinguistics Category
- Anthropological linguistics - Anthropological linguistics is the subfield of linguistics, which deals with the place of language in its wider social and cultural context, and its role in making and maintaining cultural practices and societal structures.
- Audience design - Audience design is a sociolinguistic model outlined by Allan Bell in 1984 which proposes that linguistic style-shifting occurs primarily in response to a speaker's audience.
- Ausbausprache - In sociolinguistics, an abstand language is a language variety or cluster of varieties with significant linguistic distance from all others, while an ausbau language is a standard variety, possibly with related dependent varieties.
- Axiom of categoricity - The axiom of categoricity is a term coined by J. K. Chambers in 1995 to refer to the once-widespread tenet of linguistic theory that in order to properly study language, linguistic data should be removed or abstracted from all real-world context so as to be free of any inconsistencies or...
- Diglossia - In linguistics, diglossia is a situation in which two dialects or languages are used by a single language community.
- Folk linguistics - Folk linguistics is the amateur study of linguistics. The term is often used as a pejorative.
- Interdisciplinary subfields of sociology
- Research Language and Nationalism in Asia www
Research on language and orthographic reform in Han cultural sphere, and Nationalism in Asia, including Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, and China. Language and Nationalism in Asia.
- Stanford Stanford University Sociolinguistics www
Stanford Sociolinguistics focuses on social influences of language variation. University Sociolinguistics. The corpus-based research program investigates regional and ethnic varieties of American English as well as pidgins and creoles. Stanford University Sociolinguistics.
- Sociolinguistic Sociolinguistics at the Summer Institute of Linguistics www
Sociolinguistic research aids in the planning of SIL language development programs. the Summer Institute of Linguistics. View language survey results and publications of the SIL. Sociolinguistics at the Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- Learning Accents and Dialects of the UK www
Learning resource of the British Library gives simple but detailed information on dialects and language variation in the UK. Accents and Dialects of the UK.
- Undergraduate Sociolinguistics as a Concept of 'Language' www
Undergraduate essay compares the sociolinguistic view of language as a continuum of varieties to the formal linguistic view of a fixed structure of rules. Sociolinguistics as a Concept of 'Language'.
- Scholarly American Dialect Society www
Scholarly association dedicated to the study of the English language in North America. American Dialect Society.
- Online Sociolinguistics and Computer Mediated Conversation www
Online research group and community blog site explores the intersection of Sociolinguistics and Computer-Mediated Communication. Sociolinguistics and Computer Mediated Conversation.
- A LSA Fields of Linguistics - Sociolinguistics www
A brief introduction to the field by Walt Wolfram of North Carolina State University. LSA Fields of Linguistics - Sociolinguistics.
- A Atlas of North American English www
A survey of linguistic changes in progress in North American English. Atlas of North American English.
- A Language Attitudes Toward Written Taiwanese www
A survey on current issues regarding the Taiwanese writing system. Language Attitudes Toward Written Taiwanese.
- Mali Sociolingo’s African Linguistics www
Mali weblog discusses African language policies and provides links to news and information on African sociolinguistics. Sociolingo’s African Linguistics.
- Research LWP - The Language in the Workplace Project www
Research project at Victoria University of Wellington studying workplace interactions in New Zealand. LWP - The Language in the Workplace Project.
- University University of Edinburgh Sociolinguistics Research Group www
University of Edinburgh sociolinguistics discussion group examines how the context of language shapes its forms and uses. Edinburgh Sociolinguistics Research Group. Find topic lists, participant biographies and meeting schedules. University of Edinburgh Sociolinguistics Research Group.
- An North Carolina Language and Life Project www
An organization performing sociolinguistic research and leading educational programs in representative speech communities. North Carolina Language and Life Project.
- An Language Policy Web Site www
An exchange of news and views on English Only legislation, Policy Web Site, bilingual education, endangered languages and related issues of U.S. language policy. Language Policy Web Site.
- Supporting Centre for Language and Ecology www
Supporting research into discourse analysis of language/texts which have ecological impact. Centre for Language and Ecology.
- Brief Sociolinguistics Introduction www
Brief overview of sociolinguistics describes how the social context of language can affect its use. Sociolinguistics Introduction.
- Essays The Global Language Monitor www
Essays and articles on various linguistic topics, Global Language Monitor, and an algorithmic analysis of political language use in the United States. The Global Language Monitor.
- Corpus Buckeye Natural Speech Corpus www
Corpus of conversations recorded in Columbus, Natural Speech Corpus, Ohio provides data for the study of variation in speech. Data access information, forums and details about the project. Buckeye Natural Speech Corpus.
- Resource BBC - Voices www
Resource for exploring language diversity in the UK features voice recordings of social and regional dialects, Voices, articles and news on linguistics and classroom materials. BBC - Voices.
- Special Language and Social Interaction Division of NCA www
Special division of the National Communication Association promotes the understanding of language as a tool for communication. Language and Social Interaction Division of NCA.
- Promoting Lingva Prismo www
Promoting the concept of interlingualism (balancing language equality with effective communication), Prismo, with language maps, quizzes, and information on world languages and writing systems. In English, Esperanto, and several European languages. Lingva Prismo.
- A International Dialects of English Archive www
A repository of primary source recordings for actors and other artists in the performing arts. International Dialects of English Archive.
- Research Sociolinguistics Laboratory - University of Ottawa www
Research program concentrates on language change in different contact situations in Canada and elsewhere. Sociolinguistics Laboratory - University of Ottawa.
- Leading Sociolinguistics Graduate Program at UPenn www
Leading graduate program in sociolinguistics includes links to associated faculty and scholars. Sociolinguistics Graduate Program at UPenn.
- Companion PBS - Do You Speak American? www
Companion material to a TV documentary examining the dynamic state of American (USA) English. Do You Speak American?. PBS - Do You Speak American?.
- Varieties Language Varieties www
Varieties of language that differ from the standard variety normally used in the media and taught in the schools. Language Varieties.
- Seven Uncle Remus www
Seven Uncle Remus tales are given with analysis and context. Uncle Remus.
- A Writings on the Ebonics Issue www
A collection of John Rickford's writings on Ebonics. Writings on the Ebonics Issue.
- Article Codeswitching www
Article on codeswitching from the International Handbook of the Science of Language and Society Codeswitching.
- Site Code-switching and Identity www
Site discusses linguistic identity including a video clip specifically about code-switching in Hong Kong. Code-switching and Identity.
- Quantitative Linguistic Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London www
Quantitative sociolinguistic research among young Londoners studies changes in mainstream speech and how linguistic features spread. Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London. Includes description of project and research articles. Linguistic Innovators: The English of Adolescents in London.
- Informational Sociolinguistics www
Informational page on sociolinguistics with a very large section on dialects. Sociolinguistics.
- In Andrew Freeman's Perspectives on Arabic Diglossia www
In an article on this subject, Freeman's Perspectives on Arabic Diglossia, Andrew explains that diglossic speech communities have a High variety that is very prestigious and a Low variety with no official status which are in complementary distribution with each other. Andrew Freeman's Perspectives on Arabic Diglossia.
- Offers Trevor Pateman - Linguistics and the Critique of Domination www
Offers a critique of East Anglia critical linguistics (Fowler, Pateman - Linguistics and the Critique of Domination, Hodge, Kress, Trew) Trevor Pateman - Linguistics and the Critique of Domination.
- Article Wittgenstein/Styles/Pedagogy www
- Notes Pidgin and Creole Languages www
Notes for a course in pidgin and creole languages. and Creole Languages. Discusses theories of pidginization, creolization and language contact. Pidgin and Creole Languages.
- Basic Pidgins and Creoles www
Basic facts about pidgins and creoles with examples. Pidgins and Creoles.
- Specializes Maledicta Press www
Specializes in negatively-valued words and expressions from all languages and cultures, Press, focussing on the origin, etymology, meaning, use and influence of verbal aggression and abuse of any kind. Maledicta Press.
- Annotated Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography www
Annotated bibliography of tense, Linguistic Bibliography, verbal aspect, aktionsart and related areas. Binnick's Linguistic Bibliography.
- Alexa: Sociolinguistics Linguistics
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Sociolinguistics Linguistics
- DMOZ: Sociolinguistics Linguistics
dmoz.org Directory: Sociolinguistics Linguistics