An academic study concerned with the relative similarities and differences of what takes place within a state, society, country, or political system. As a method of study it involves comparative analysis of political institutions and behavior. Comparative Politics Political Science Social Sciences Science.
Comparative politics is a field in political science, characterized by an empirical approach based on the comparative method . (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Comparative politics is a field in political science, characterized by an empirical approach based on the comparative method. In other words, comparative politics is the study of the domestic politics, political institutions, and conflicts of countries. It often involves comparisons among countries and through time within single countries, emphasizing key patterns of similarity and difference. Arend Lijphart argues that comparative politics does not have a substantive focus in itself, but rather a methodological one: it focuses on "the how but does not specify the what of the analysis." In other words, comparative politics is not defined by the object of its study, but rather by the method it applies to study political phenomena.
- Comparative politics Category
- Comparative law - Comparative law is the study of differences and similarities between the law of different countries.
- Historical sociology - Historical sociology is a branch of sociology focusing on how societies develop through history. It looks at how social structures that many regard as natural are in fact shaped by complex social processes.
- Political midlife crisis - A political midlife crisis is a turning point or watershed moment in the fortunes of a governance entity such as an empire, nation, faction, political party, or international alliance.
- Political science - Political science is a social science which deals with systems of governance, and the analysis of political activities, political thoughts and political behaviour.
- State collapse - State collapse, breakdown, or downfall is the complete failure of a mode of government within a sovereign state. Sometimes this brings about a failed state, as in the final decade of Yugoslavia.
- Historic recurrence - Historic recurrence is the repetition of similar events in history. The concept of historic recurrence has variously been applied to the overall history of the world, to repetitive patterns in the history of a given polity, and to any two specific events which bear a striking similarity.
- Subfields of political science
- Comparative Global City Regions www
Comparative research project on the transformation of governance under the dynamics of globalization, City Regions, focusing on global city regions. Global City Regions.
- Designed Comparative Politics Resource Center www
Designed to be used as a companion to textbooks. Politics Resource Center. Included are case studies and info-trac reader subscription service. Comparative Politics Resource Center.
- Includes Wikipedia: Comparative Politics www
Includes definition, Comparative Politics, links and comparative strategies. Wikipedia: Comparative Politics.
- From General Comparative Politics Resources www
From the University of West Virginia. General Comparative Politics Resources.
- Links Election Resources on the Internet www
Links to Internet sites around the world which provide complete and detailed national and local election statistics. Election Resources on the Internet.
- Maintained Comparative Politics and Foreign Governments. www
Maintained by Emory University, Politics and Foreign Governments., Georgia. Includes description of the field, references and data resources. Comparative Politics and Foreign Governments..
- List Comparative Politics and International Relations www
List of resources from the Vanderbilt University Library. Comparative Politics and International Relations.
- Research Extreme Right Electorates and Party Success (EREPS) www
Research network providing data on West European extreme right parties. Right Electorates and Party Success (EREPS). Papers, analysis, voting trends, data sets and documents. Extreme Right Electorates and Party Success (EREPS).
- The Comparative Constitutions Project www
The intent of the project is to investigate the sources and consequences of constitutional choices. Constitutions Project. Includes faculty, news, publications and courses. Comparative Constitutions Project.
- Collaborative The Comparative Study of Electoral Systems www
Collaborative program of cross-national research among election study teams from around the world. Comparative Study of Electoral Systems. Shown are project profile, download data, resources and bibliography. The Comparative Study of Electoral Systems.
- Includes New York University www
Includes faculty list biographies with contacts, York University, published books and online papers. New York University.
- Shown Dartmouth College www
Shown are seminars offered with descriptions. Dartmouth College.
- Directory Countries Quest www
Directory features articles about different countries organized by continent and offers information on natural resources, Quest, people, arts, economy, government, and history. Countries Quest.
- Lists CIA World Fact Book www
Lists population, World Fact Book, government, military, and economic information for nations recognized by the United States. CIA World Fact Book.
- Research Initiative on Conflict Resolution and Ethnicity www
Research and degree program related to ethnic conflict management and resolution. Initiative on Conflict Resolution and Ethnicity.
- Interdisciplinary European Centre for Minority Issues www
Interdisciplinary research on issues related to national minorities and majorities in a European perspective. European Centre for Minority Issues.
- From Comparative Politics Newsletter www
From the American Political Science Association. Politics Newsletter. Includes back issues in PDF format, officers and submission requirements. Comparative Politics Newsletter.
- An Comparative Politics www
An international journal that publishes scholarly articles devoted to the comparative analysis of political institutions and behavior. Comparative Politics.
- Defines Political Dictionary www
Defines terms used in discussing national and international politics. Political Dictionary.
- Alexa: Comparative Politics Political Science
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Comparative Politics Political Science
- DMOZ: Comparative Politics Political Science
dmoz.org Directory: Comparative Politics Political Science