Social Work is a profession committed to the enhancement of human well-being, the alleviation of poverty and oppression, and the promotion of social justice. The profession practices in a wide variety of settings including family services, child welfare, criminal justice, psychiatric and medical centers, chemical dependency treatment, community organizations, advocacy groups, and public policy planning. Social work degrees range from the associate to the doctorate. Graduates may work in direct practice (micro-level work with individuals) or in administration and planning (macro-level work with systems and institutions. Licensure requirements and other practice regulations vary by locality. Social Work Social Sciences Science.
Social work is an academic and professional discipline that seeks to facilitate the welfare of communities, individuals, families, and groups. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Social work is an academic discipline and profession that concerns itself with individuals, families, groups and communities in an effort to enhance social functioning and overall well-being. Social functioning refers to the way in which people perform their social roles, and the structural institutions that are provided to sustain them. Social work applies social sciences, such as sociology, psychology, political science, public health, community development, law, and economics, to engage with client systems, conduct assessments, and develop interventions to solve social and personal problems; and create social change. Social work practice is often divided into micro-work, which involves working directly with individuals or small groups; and macro-work, which involves working communities, and within social policy, to create change on a larger scale.
- Social work Category
- Addiction medicine - Addiction medicine is a medical specialty that deals with the treatment of addiction.
- Approved mental health professional - The role of approved mental health professional in the United Kingdom was created in the 2007 amendment of the Mental Health Act 1983 to replace the role of approved social worker.
- Child welfare - Child protection is the protection of children from violence, exploitation, abuse and neglect. Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child provides for the protection of children in and out of the home.
- Community development - The United Nations defines community development as "a process where community members come together to take collective action and generate solutions to common problems."
- Critical social work - Critical social work is the application of social work from a critical theory perspective. Critical social work seeks to address social injustices, as opposed to focusing on individual people's problems.
- Development studies - Development studies is an interdisciplinary branch of social science. Development studies is offered as a specialized master's degree in a number of universities, and, less commonly, as an undergraduate degree.
- Welfare agencies
- Welfare and service organizations
- Civil services
- Psychiatry-related fields
- Providing Independent Social Work Services: Specialist Assessments and Interventions with Children in Need www
Providing expertise in social work services to Local Authorities and Child Care Solicitors. Social Work Services: Specialist Assessments and Interventions with Children in Need. Registered with the Social Care Council and Member of the Professional Association for Childrens Guardians, Family Court Advisers and Independent Social Work Practioners and Consultants. Independent Social Work Services: Specialist Assessments and Interventions with Children in Need.
- Newsletter Children's Services Practice Notes www
Newsletter designed to enhance the practice of North Carolina's child welfare workers by providing them with information about research and practice models. Children's Services Practice Notes.
- An The New Social Worker Online www
An electronic companion to the print magazine devoted to social work students and recent graduates. New Social Worker Online. Includes full-text articles, an online career center, and social work links. The New Social Worker Online.
- This Social Workers Speak www
This site developed by the National Association of Social Workers gives students, Workers Speak, professionals and the general public a forum for critiquing and improving the way social workers and social issues are covered in the news media and portrayed in the entertainment industries. Social Workers Speak.
- Personal Jenny Gilmore www
Personal web site of social worker Jenny Gilmore detailing her practice, Gilmore, research and teaching. The site also includes resources, discussions and links to other interesting sites. Jenny Gilmore.
- 232-HELP 232-HELP Information and Referral Center www
232-HELP is a comprehensive information and referral agency for health and human services providing crisis intervention, Information and Referral Center, advocacy, resource referral and case management for southwest Louisiana. 232-HELP Information and Referral Center.
- A Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR) www
A non-profit association committed to improving the support for research among social workers. for Social Work and Research (SSWR). Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR).
- The Nurtured Heart Path www
The Nurtured Heart Path provides counseling, Heart Path, consultation, parent coaching, conference services and training to individuals, families, agencies and school systems throughout Michigan. Nurtured Heart Path.
- UK Social Care Institute for Excellence www
UK resource of good practice and knowledge aimed at improvement of social care services with focus on central role of people who use services. Social Care Institute for Excellence.
- Career Michal Grinstein-Weiss, PhD, MSW, MA Economics www
Career and biographical information about the author, Grinstein-Weiss, PhD, MSW, MA Economics, who is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina School of Social Work. Her research interests include Policy Analysis, Poverty, Inequality, Asset Building, Program Evaluation and Social and Economic Development. Michal Grinstein-Weiss, PhD, MSW, MA Economics.
- This Help Starts Here www
This web site is a gateway to articles written by licensed social workers that are of interest to the general public. Starts Here. The articles are geared toward (1) individuals and families who need reliable, accurate information about health, behavioral, environmental, social, and mental health issues; and (2) people who are considering a career in social work or who would like to know more about the profession. Help Starts Here.
- UK-based Respond www
UK-based charity supporting people with learning disabilities, Respond, their relatives and professionals affected by trauma and abuse. Carries 'easy-read' information. Respond.
- Publication Community Care www
Publication "for everyone in social care" carrying news and views on UK social services Community Care.
- Personal Prin's Links for Social Work Students www
Personal blog of undergraduate social work student that contains humorous stories and a collection of Internet resources for students. Prin's Links for Social Work Students.
- Directory Social Work Search www
Directory of social work links. Social Work Search.
- Information Developmental Disabilities Resources For Providers & Caregivers www
Information and resources for support coordinators, Disabilities Resources For Providers & Caregivers, Medicaid waiver coordinators, families and advocates for disabled people in the State of Florida. Developmental Disabilities Resources For Providers & Caregivers.
- UK Virtual Social Work www
UK Information Gateway featuring resources for social workers, Social Work, probation officers, psychologists, counsellors, drugs workers and other health and social care staff in the UK. By Conny Carnuth. Virtual Social Work.
- A The Mental Health Social Worker www
A professional blog covering news and events related to health and mental health research and practice. The Mental Health Social Worker.
- Quarterly Child Care in Practice www
Quarterly peer-reviewed journal publishing research and practice from all disciplines involved in the provision of children's services. Care in Practice. Site contains full index of articles published, notes for authors, subscription and advertising rates. Child Care in Practice.
- Personal Joy Leftow, Licensed Clinical Social Worker www
Personal web site that contains poetry, Leftow, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, images, and essays of a social worker in private practice. Joy Leftow, Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
- Free Ela Township Social Work Program www
Free multi-service community agency agency located in South Lake County, Township Social Work Program, Illinois. Ela Township Social Work Program.
- A HIRL Higher Institute for Readaptation Sciences Louvain www
A college of higher education with two departments: the Graduate in Social Readaptation Sciences and the Postgraduate in Non-Commercial Management. HIRL Higher Institute for Readaptation Sciences Louvain.
- A Dr. Siu-kau Cheung, CityU of Hong Kong www
A registered social worker in Hong Kong and a social work educator, Siu-kau Cheung, CityU of Hong Kong, specializing in parent education and researching on family relationships. Site linking to useful ideas on planning social work programmes. Dr. Siu-kau Cheung, CityU of Hong Kong.
- A Social Work News www
A live, Work News, global social work news portal updated every few minutes. Includes a searchable database of thousands of categorized and geographically tagged news items. Social Work News.
- Provides Azusa Pacific University: Department of Social Work www
Provides information on the graduate and undergraduate programs, Pacific University: Department of Social Work, the faculty and resources at the Azusa Pacific University Department of Social Work. Azusa Pacific University: Department of Social Work.
- Information Bridgewater State College Social Work Department www
Information about undergraduate and graduate programs in social work at Bridgewater State College in Bridgewater, State College Social Work Department, Massachusetts. Bridgewater State College Social Work Department.
- A Canadian Association of Social Workers www
A federation of the 10 provincial and one territorial social work organizations, Association of Social Workers, the CASW serves a national role in strengthening and advancing the social work profession in Canada. Site available in English and French. Canadian Association of Social Workers.
- CSCSW Colorado Society for Clinical Social Work www
CSCSW provides a collegial association advancing the profession by providing opportunities for education, Society for Clinical Social Work, setting practice standards, promoting public recognition, and advocating for protection of clinical social workers and their clientele. Colorado Society for Clinical Social Work.
- Dedicated Social Work and Care Jobs www
Dedicated online recruitment website for those employed in the Care and Social Work fields. Work and Care Jobs. Free online resume posting service for candidates looking for employment. Social Work and Care Jobs.
- Global Hays Recruiting Experts Worldwide www
Global social care recruitment consultancy headquartered in the United Kingdom. Hays Recruiting Experts Worldwide.
- Focuses Clinical Social Work www
Focuses on treatment for survivors of trauma and abuse, Social Work, but links to many general practice resources. Created by direct practice clinician, Pat McClendon. Clinical Social Work.
- Explores Center on Urban Poverty and Social Change www
Explores how social and economic change affects low income communities. Urban Poverty and Social Change. Offers current research and reports and provides technical expertise to community agencies. Center on Urban Poverty and Social Change.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Social Work Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Social Work Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Social Work Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Social Work Social Sciences