Sociology encompasses and overlaps many fields involves in the study of social relationships and institutions, including organizational behavior, societal development and structure, and cross-cultural interaction. The term "sociology" as the scientific analysis of collective human behavior was coined in 1838 by Auguste Comte, but Max Weber and Durkheim are generally credited as the founders of the modern field. Sociology Social Sciences Science.
Sociology is the study of social behaviour or society, including its origins, development, organization, networks, and institutions. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Sociology is the scientific study of society, including patterns of social relationships, social interaction, and culture. It is a social science that uses various methods of empirical investigation and critical analysis to develop a body of knowledge about social order, acceptance, and change. Many sociologists aim to conduct research that may be applied directly to social policy and welfare, while others focus primarily on refining the theoretical understanding of social processes. Subject matter ranges from the micro-sociology level of individual agency and interaction to the macro level of systems and the social structure.
- Sociology Category
- Bibliography of sociology - This bibliography of sociology is a list of works, organized by subdiscipline, on the subject of sociology.
- Engaged theory - Engaged theory is a methodological framework for understanding social complexity. It takes social life or social relations as its base category, with 'the social' always understood as grounded in 'the natural', including humans as embodied beings.
- History of the social sciences - The history of the social sciences has origin in the common stock of Western philosophy and shares various precursors, but began most intentionally in the early 19th century with the positivist philosophy of science.
- Outline of sociology - Sociology ? the study of society using various methods of empirical investigation and critical analysis to understand human social activity, from the micro level of individual agency and interaction to the macro level of systems and social structure.
- SocioSite www
SocioSite is a multi-purpose guide for sociologists. SocioSite. Includes useful links to sites around the world. Based in the Netherlands.
- Contains Guide to Questionnaires and Surveys www
Contains explanations on how to create surveys and questionnaires. Questionnaires and Surveys. Articles cover attitude and ethics, the behaviour of groups and populations, data collection, lists and sampling. Created by a Granby Cegep Professor located in Granby, Quebec, Canada. Guide to Questionnaires and Surveys.
- Reports Understanding the World Today www
Reports about global social, the World Today, political, economic and demographic changes. Links to theory, research, data and free software. Understanding the World Today.
- Site Wadsworth's Virtual Society www
Site dedicated to the academic world of sociology and social science in general. Virtual Society. Site accompanies the book The Practice of Social Research. Wadsworth's Virtual Society.
- Julian The SocioLog www
Julian Dierkes' comprehensive guide to sociology on-line The SocioLog.
- Established Commission for Applied and Clinical Sociology www
Established by the Society for Applied Sociology and the Sociological Practice Association to develop, for Applied and Clinical Sociology, promote and support quality sociological education and practice in applied and clinical areas. Michigan State University. Commission for Applied and Clinical Sociology.
- Database Social Statistics www
Database of questions and the statistical information derived from replies, Statistics, created by means of answers given by voluntary Internet users. Social Statistics.
- Revision AS and A Level Revision Notes www
Revision notes for the British Sociology AS and A level examinations (2010 revision). AS and A Level Revision Notes.
- An The SocioWeb www
An independent guide to sociological resources on the Internet. The SocioWeb.
- Offers videophilia.org www
Offers origins, videophilia.org, description of the problematic, outreach, media links and resources. videophilia.org.
- Information WWW Virtual Library: Evaluation www
Information gateway for the field of Social Policy. WWW Virtual Library: Evaluation.
- Contains Social Capital www
Contains useful resources for researchers interested in social capital and in its relationship with economic development. Capital. The website is edited by Fabio Sabatini, of the University of Rome La Sapienza. Social Capital.
- Media Theory.org.uk www
Media studies and gender studies with content on queer theory, Theory.org.uk, gender, Foucault, Judith Butler, media influences, cyber culture, role models, and critical theory. Produced by Dr David Gauntlett, University of Leeds, UK. Theory.org.uk.
- Topical Sociology Index www
Topical index and dictionary with leads to abstracts, Index, bibliography, syllabus and journals, including sociology departments around the world. Sociology Index.
- Contains MaleToFemaleRatio.com www
Contains U. MaleToFemaleRatio.com.S. city male to female ratio compiled from census data. MaleToFemaleRatio.com.
- Program Courses In Applied Social Surveys (CASS) www
Program of short courses in applied social surveys run by the Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute (S3RI) at the University of Southampton. Applied Social Surveys (CASS). Aims to strengthen skills in survey design and analysis in the social science research community. Courses In Applied Social Surveys (CASS).
- Contains Cape Sociology www
Contains forums, Sociology, syllabus material, sample essays, newsletter and links. Cape Sociology.
- Features Alcohol Sociology www
Features history, Sociology, research links, and contact information. Alcohol Sociology.
- Features Craig Robertson - Music and Conflict Transformation www
Features blog entries, Robertson - Music and Conflict Transformation, archives and list of links. Located at the University of Exeter, UK. Craig Robertson - Music and Conflict Transformation.
- Presents Astrosociology Research Institute (ARI) www
Presents 'astrosociology' as a developing sociological area of study. Research Institute (ARI). Offers history, resources, links and membership details. Astrosociology Research Institute (ARI).
- A LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Sociology www
A comprehensive catalog of scientific resources and media worldwide but especially in German and English: Directories of Sociology Journals; Sociology-related catalogs of scientific search engines; additional starting points and sites of special interest. LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - Sociology.
- GERN - European Research Group into Norms www
40 research institutions from 11 European countries focusing on crime, European Research Group into Norms, criminology, sociology and prevention. GERN - European Research Group into Norms.
- Course Introduction to Social Theory www
Course syllabus and lectures by Paul Gingrich of the University of Regina Department of Sociology and Social Studies. Social Theory. Covers work of Marx, Durkheim, Weber, Mead, and 20th century theorists. Introduction to Social Theory.
- Features Networks of Civil Society Organizations in Latin America www
Features research database, Civil Society Organizations in Latin America, details on the project and contact information. Co-sponsored by the University of Miami, University of Maryland and the Ford Foundation. Networks of Civil Society Organizations in Latin America.
- Essays, A Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace www
Essays, Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace, data analyses, and links on sociologies of knowledge, death, aging, family, time, and inequality. A Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace.
- Features Sociology www
Features student research on criminology. Sociology. Offers rationale, methodology, results and evaluation. Sociology.
- Offers Centre for Critical Research on Race and Identity, The www
Offers research overview, for Critical Research on Race and Identity, The, staff listing, news, links and contact information. Located at the Howard College Campus, Durban, South Africa. Centre for Critical Research on Race and Identity, The.
- SCSPI Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality www
SCSPI aims to foster basic and applied research on social, Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality, economic, and cultural inequalities. Provides details of programs, publications, news, events, key issues and trend data. Stanford Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality.
- The The Question Bank www
The Centre for Applied Social Surveys [CASS] Question Bank (Qb) is a store of complete UK social survey questions, Question Bank, questionnaires and response forms. The Question Bank.
- Features edu.learsource.org www
Features comprehensive listing of substantive areas of study, edu.learsource.org, key concepts and theories. edu.learsource.org.
- PSN Progressive Sociology Network www
PSN is a moderated list devoted to the examination of issues of theoretical and political importance to sociologists. Progressive Sociology Network.
- Sociology Sociology Central www
Sociology web site offering free resources for Sociology teachers and students. Sociology Central.
- Features This Week in Sociology www
Features suggested readings and past articles and offers authors the opportunity to submit writings. This Week in Sociology.
- Offers Yale Library Resources: Sociology www
Offers categorized academic resources. Yale Library Resources: Sociology.
- Author Po Bronson's Blog www
Author Po Bronson, Bronson's Blog, author of "Why Do I Love These People?" weblogs about family issues and statistics about families. Po Bronson's Blog.
- Sociology Sociologia.de www
Sociology resources in English, Sociologia.de, German, Spanish and Portuguese. Sociologia.de.
- Specializes Human Sciences Research Council www
Specializes in humanities and social sciences research. Sciences Research Council. Includes research material in various formats. Human Sciences Research Council.
- Features Developmental Idealism Studies www
Features projects, Idealism Studies, publications, listing of academics, links and contact information. Developmental Idealism Studies.
- Features Sociologically.net www
Features blog discussions, Sociologically.net, resources and groups. Sociologically.net.
- Social Sociopranos www
Social Science Discussion Forum. Sociopranos.
- Popular Cultural Studies Study Group (CSSG) www
Popular culture, Studies Study Group (CSSG), youth culture British literature, and media studies. Cultural Studies Study Group (CSSG).
- Features Anovasofie www
Features comparative resource tools, Anovasofie, public intellectuals links and details on developers. Anovasofie.
- Features University of Kentucky: MGT 780, Social Network Analysis www
Features PhD course syllabus, Kentucky: MGT 780, Social Network Analysis, resources, news, blog and contact information. University of Kentucky: MGT 780, Social Network Analysis.
- A The Internet Sociologist www
A free "teach yourself" tutorial on Internet information skills for sociologists, Internet Sociologist, written by Stuart Macwilliam, Library and Information Services, University of Exeter. It is one of a set tutorials within the RDN Virtual Training Suite, created by subject-specialists from universities and professional organisations across the UK. The Internet Sociologist.
- Offers University of Kentucky: Guide to Library Resources www
Offers links and academic resources. University of Kentucky: Guide to Library Resources.
- Features Social Network Analysis www
Features an undergraduate course with an on-line text book and bibliographical resources. Social Network Analysis.
- Provides Free Resources for Program Evaluation and Social Research Methods www
Provides links to manuals, Resources for Program Evaluation and Social Research Methods, on line guides, 'how to' books, survey methods, interviewing, observation, statistics and free statistical software. Free Resources for Program Evaluation and Social Research Methods.
- The Boekman Foundation www
The Boekman Foundation is a centre where information about arts and cultural policy is collected and disseminated. Foundation. It covers the areas of policy-forming and all aspects of implementation. Bilingual en/nl. Boekman Foundation.
- Listing WWW Virtual Library: Sociology Institutes and Departments www
Listing of sociology departments around the world by country. WWW Virtual Library: Sociology Institutes and Departments.
- Comprehensive WWW Virtual Library: Sociology: Institutions in the United States www
Comprehensive listing of U. Virtual Library: Sociology: Institutions in the United States.S. sociology departments. WWW Virtual Library: Sociology: Institutions in the United States.
- A Identifying Dimensions of Urban Social Change In Dublin - 1986 to 1996 www
A quantitative study of social and demographic changes in Dublin, Dimensions of Urban Social Change In Dublin - 1986 to 1996, Ireland employing principal component analysis (PCA) on data collected using ten-yearly census data and smaller mid-decade census data. Identifying Dimensions of Urban Social Change In Dublin - 1986 to 1996.
- Assorted Howard Becker www
Assorted by Howard S. Becker. Becker (Sociology, UC Santa Barbara, USA) that, in his own words, "[are made available here] primarily to make things I've written and published in obscure places available to anyone who wants them." Howard Becker.
- Feed Connotea: Anthropology www
Feed offers links to news, Anthropology, journal articles and Web sites. Connotea: Anthropology.
- Offers California Academy of Sciences www
Offers educational exhibits and events. Academy of Sciences. Features research and publications, collection highlights, on-line database of artifacts and information on the Academy's Traditional Arts Program. Located in San Francisco, California. California Academy of Sciences.
- Association International Visual Sociology Association www
Association for sociologists devoted to the visual study of society, Visual Sociology Association, culture, and social relationships. International Visual Sociology Association.
- Forum The Society for Applied Sociology www
Forum for sociologists and others interested in applying sociological knowledge. Society for Applied Sociology. Includes publications and information on annual meetings, events, and membership. The Society for Applied Sociology.
- Organization United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI) www
Organization created to advance policy and practice in the prevention and control of juvenile delinquency and adult criminality. Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI). Includes a collection of global criminology resources. United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Center (UNICRI).
- Furthers Scandinavian Research Council for Criminology www
Furthers criminological research within member countries, Research Council for Criminology, and advises the Scandinavian governments and the Nordic Council on related issues. Includes information about the council, publications and links. Scandinavian Research Council for Criminology.
- H-Net H-Demog: Historical Demography www
H-Net discussion group dedicated to research, Historical Demography, teaching, and historiography. Features subject overview, archives, reports, affiliations, links to related lists and resources, and subscription details. Includes interactive demographic data viewer. H-Demog: Historical Demography.
- A Population Review www
A journal of demography and population studies focusing on both the developing and developed world. Population Review.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Sociology Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Sociology Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Sociology Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Sociology Social Sciences