Urban and Regional Planning Social Sciences Science.
Urban planning is a technical and political process concerned with the development and use of land, protection and use of the environment, public welfare, and the design of the urban environment, including air, water, and the infrastructure passing into and out of urban areas, such as transportation, communications, and distribution networks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Urban planning is a technical and political process concerned with the development and use of land, planning permission, protection and use of the environment, public welfare, and the design of the urban environment, including air, water, and the infrastructure passing into and out of urban areas, such as transportation, communications, and distribution networks. Urban planning is also referred to as urban and regional planning, regional planning, town planning, city planning, rural planning, urban development or some combination in various areas worldwide. It is considered an interdisciplinary field that includes social, engineering and design sciences. Urban planning is closely related to the field of urban design and some urban planners provide designs for streets, parks, buildings and other urban areas.
- Urban planning Category
- Development studies - Development studies is an interdisciplinary branch of social science. Development studies is offered as a specialized master's degree in a number of universities, and, less commonly, as an undergraduate degree.
- Distinguished Canadian Planners
- Index of urban planning articles - Urban, city, or town planning is the discipline of planning which explores several aspects of the built and social environments of municipalities and communities...
- Regional planning - Regional planning deals with the efficient placement of land-use activities, infrastructure, and settlement growth across a larger area of land than an individual city or town.
- Rural development - Rural development is the process of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people living in rural areas, often relatively isolated and sparsely populated areas.
- Urban history - Urban history is a field of history that examines the historical nature of cities and towns, and the process of urbanization.
- Planetizen www
A public-interest information exchange for the urban planning and development community. Planetizen. Urban planning and development news, job opportunities, commentary and events.
- Research Center for Land Use Interpretation www
Research organization involved in exploring, for Land Use Interpretation, examining, and understanding land and landscape issues. It employs a variety of methods to pursue its stated aim, engaging in research, classification, extrapolation, and exhibition. Center for Land Use Interpretation.
- A Urban Environmental Management www
A grouping of urban planning researchers from around the world. Environmental Management. It looks at urban areas as the intersection of natural, built, and socio-economic environments. Urban Environmental Management.
- Analyzes Europaforum Wien www
Analyzes policies, Wien, conducts public dialogues, organizes conferences, and publishes works on urban issues in the European Union. In German and English. Europaforum Wien.
- Government Planning Portal www
Government gateway to planning information throughout the UK. Portal. Provides information on plans, appeals, applications, contact details, research areas. Planning Portal.
- Covers Periferia www
Covers topics on architecture and urban design in the Caribbean. Periferia.
- Current Planetizen: Jobs www
Current job postings. Planetizen: Jobs.
- Discussions Cyburbia Forums www
Discussions about planning, Forums, cities, and the built environment. Cyburbia Forums.
- Selected Planum www
Selected European planning journals, Planum, an extensive planning web guide, archives of plans, and events from the town and regional planning world. Planum.
- Topical PlannersWeb www
Topical material on zoning ordinances, PlannersWeb, land use, comprehensive plans, master plans, subdivision regulation, transportation, housing, urban design, takings-property rights, and the impacts on cities and towns. PlannersWeb.
- Papers Urban Residue www
Papers on the nature of public space and profiles of progressive urban areas. Urban Residue.
- An ArchNet www
An online community and resource for architects, ArchNet, urban designers, landscape architects, planners, and scholars, with a special focus on the Islamic world. ArchNet.
- Blog UrbanWorkbench www
Blog about sustainability in urban design and community development, UrbanWorkbench, where ideas are fleshed out, concepts are discussed, and new technologies reported on and reviewed. UrbanWorkbench.
- An The Social Developer www
An examination of issues in modern urban development and its influence on the lives of urban dwellers. The Social Developer.
- Free Planning-applications.co.uk www
Free online guide to the UK town planning system. Planning-applications.co.uk. Lodge an appeal and review development plans. Planning-applications.co.uk.
- Includes Land Use Law www
Includes articles, Use Law, cases, ordinances, statutes, and photographs from Professor Daniel R. Mandelker of Washington University. Land Use Law.
- Documents Ecology of Absence www
Documents abandonment of the built environment and speculates on geographic, Absence, sociological, ecological, and architectural factors. Most examples are in St. Louis, Missouri. Ecology of Absence.
- An Urban Planning, 1794-1918 www
An international anthology of primary source material for the study of how urban planning developed up to the end of World War I. Planning, 1794-1918. Includes articles, conference papers, and reports. Urban Planning, 1794-1918.
- Employment Jobs In Planning www
Employment opportunities for planning professionals, Planning, with a focus on Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Jobs In Planning.
- Information Planetizen: Announcements www
Information on RFPs, Announcements, RFQs, conferences, educational opportunities, press releases, and other current events. Planetizen: Announcements.
- Educational Neighborhood Planning www
Educational resource for understanding and improving neighborhoods. Planning. Includes a number of detailed examinations of topical issues. Neighborhood Planning.
- A Timeline of New Urbanism www
A searchable database of key events in the history of new urbanism, New Urbanism, as well as historical influences. Timeline of New Urbanism.
- Automatically Planetizen: Radar www
Automatically updated collection of syndicated planning content. Planetizen: Radar.
- Multimedia Resource for Urban Design Information www
Multimedia resource for teaching, for Urban Design Information, research, and professional activity in urban design and its related disciplines. Resource for Urban Design Information.
- An Urbanicity www
An introduction to the concept of urbanicity. Urbanicity.
- Collects Observatoire de la Ville Interieure www
Collects and disseminates information on Montreal's indoor and underground city. la Ville Interieure. In French and English. Observatoire de la Ville Interieure.
- Job Urban Planning Now www
Job postings and links to planning employers. Urban Planning Now.
- Companion Online NewsHour: New Urbanism www
Companion site to PBS program includes core concepts, NewsHour: New Urbanism, interviews, discussions, criticisms, comparisons, and examples. Online NewsHour: New Urbanism.
- Focuses The Smarter Land Use Project www
Focuses on improving the quality of proposed developments in settled areas. Smarter Land Use Project. Includes a citizens guidebook for achieving effective collaboration. The Smarter Land Use Project.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: Urban Planning www
Encyclopedia entry covers planning's role in aesthetics, Urban Planning, safety, transportation, suburbanization, and the environment. Includes lists of famous planners and planned communities. Wikipedia: Urban Planning.
- Pay Ordinance.com www
Pay site with free sections providing land use ordinances, Ordinance.com, maps, design guides, and similar services. Registration required. Ordinance.com.
- Campaign Planning Help www
Campaign to Protect Rural England project provides information on how citizens can influence local planning decisions. Planning Help.
- A The KunstlerCast: The Tragic Comedy of Suburban Sprawl www
A weekly podcast about suburban sprawl, KunstlerCast: The Tragic Comedy of Suburban Sprawl, the end of cheap oil and urban planning. Featuring James Howard Kunstler, author of "The Geography of Nowhere." The KunstlerCast: The Tragic Comedy of Suburban Sprawl.
- Annual Megacities www
Annual Dutch lecture series. Megacities. Includes full text archives from prior years. Megacities.
- Blog User Based City www
Blog exploring the possibility of a user based city, Based City, one that is not planned from above but grows from the bottom. User Based City.
- Profiles Great Streets! www
Profiles of cities with thriving main streets, Streets!, an examination of the details that make them successful, and a look at the fictional River City in the movie The Music Man. Great Streets!.
- International Urban Age www
International conference series on the future of cities. Age. Conference information, archives, foci, and networking. Urban Age.
- Julia Big Box Reuse www
Julia Christensen studies and explores how communities reuse empty big box buildings. Box Reuse. Case studies, articles, and presentation schedule. Big Box Reuse.
- Provides Urbanology www
Provides solutions in the fields of urban development, Urbanology, design, architecture and new media. Explores, documents, archives, researches and intervenes in urban spaces around the world, including projects in the last ten years in Mumbai, Tokyo, New York and Bogota. Urbanology.
- An Legal Information Institute: Land Use Law www
An overview provided by the Cornell Law School. Legal Information Institute: Land Use Law.
- Planning Cyburbia www
Planning resource center includes a detailed resource directory, Cyburbia, numerous message boards, a wiki, and image galleries. Cyburbia.
- The New Urbanism www
The revival of our lost art of place-making, Urbanism, it is essentially a re-ordering of the built environment into the form of complete towns. New Urbanism promotes the creation and restoration of compact, walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods, towns, and cities. New Urbanism.
- A Parole www
A thesaurus of modern concepts in urban development. Parole. For each there is a definition, bibliography and its source publication. Parole.
- Advisory ATLAS Guide www
Advisory Team for Large Applications (ATLAS) guide to the town planning process in the UK in relation to large, Guide, complex or strategic development projects. ATLAS Guide.
- This Ecosystem Anthologies: Land Use www
This guide to online resources serves the information and communication needs of individuals and organizations working to protect our environment and create a sustainable future. Ecosystem Anthologies: Land Use.
- UK Planning Resource www
UK planning portal. Resource. Includes news, employment, appeals, education, documents, consultants directory, and forum. Planning Resource.
- A Smart City www
A weekly, City, hour-long public radio talk show that looks at urban life. Host Carol Coletta talks with public policy experts, designers, elected officials, developers, planners and others in discussions of urban issues. Smart City.
- Information CharretteCenter.net www
Information on planning, CharretteCenter.net, conducting, and implementing results from design charettes. CharretteCenter.net.
- News CityMayors www
News about the world's cities and how their mayors are dealing with today's urban issues. CityMayors.
- Career Occupational Outlook Handbook: Urban and Regional Planners www
Career profile from the U. Outlook Handbook: Urban and Regional Planners.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook: Urban and Regional Planners.
- Provides University of Illinois - Community and Economic Development www
Provides information and educational programs, Illinois - Community and Economic Development, and conducts research on economic and social issues that are relevant to communities and community leaders. University of Illinois - Community and Economic Development.
- Provides National Association of Development Organizations www
Provides training, Association of Development Organizations, information, networking, and representation for regional development organizations in small metropolitan and rural areas of the United States. National Association of Development Organizations.
- Urban Dover, Kohl & Partners www
Urban design firm specializing in master plans and illustrated codes for inner city revitalization, Kohl & Partners, neighborhood redevelopment, and traditional town planning. Dover, Kohl & Partners.
- Multi Urban Design Futures www
Multi disciplinary planning, Design Futures, urban design and landscape practice which aims to provide exciting and imaginative design solutions that take full account of client and end user needs Urban Design Futures.
- Web About Planning www
Web links, Planning, news stories, commentary, university offerings and employment regarding urban planning, growth management, smart growth and new urbanism. About Planning.
- Annotated Sapling Planning Gateway www
Annotated links to websites, Planning Gateway, books and news in the fields of planning, built environment, economic development, geographical information systems, local government, regional development and spatial development. Sapling Planning Gateway.
- A Center for Urban and Regional and Policy www
A "think and do tank" where faculty, for Urban and Regional and Policy, staff, and students pool their expertise, resources, and commitment to address a wide range of issues facing cities, towns, and suburbs. Center for Urban and Regional and Policy.
- Nonprofit Design That Matters www
Nonprofit helping underserved communities improve their quality of life while providing classwork for engineering and business students. Design That Matters.
- Blog Le rêve d'un quartier durable www
Blog consacré aux projets d'urbanisme s'inscrivant dans le développement durable. rêve d'un quartier durable. L'auteur propose une vision élargie des écoquartiers en associant la gouvernance et l'économie. Le rêve d'un quartier durable.
- Site Urbamet www
Site des professionnels de l'urbanisme, Urbamet, de l'habitat, du logement et des déplacements. Portail thématique offrant l'accès à la documentation, aux informations, documents, colloques, publications et banques de données du secteur. Urbamet.
- An Cyber-Geography Research www
An initiative (updated 1997-2004) to map cyberspace, Research, this site contains a variety of pages dedicated to helping the viewing not only understand "cyber geography" but to visualize it as well. Cyber-Geography Research.
- Web Geosource www
Web resources for human geography, Geosource, physical geography, planning, geoscience and environmental science. Provided by Utrecht University Library. Geosource.
- A SocioSite www
A multi-purpose guide for social scientists. SocioSite. A reference for researching any subject in society. Editor: Dr. Albert Benschop (University of Amsterdam). SocioSite.
- Alexa: Urban and Regional Planning Social Sciences
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Urban and Regional Planning Social Sciences
- DMOZ: Urban and Regional Planning Social Sciences
dmoz.org Directory: Urban and Regional Planning Social Sciences